Druid Tank Change (Confused)

I'm confused about how they are saying damage mitigation will change with savage defense.

How is it different to make it "absorbed" rather then ignored (or just total damage - 30% of AP = received)?

Does this mean we will generate rage when it stops it (would be a big help to my druid)?

I think some of those changes pointed were just Bibi getting confused about phrasing changes. Similar to the Blood Frenzy thing he mentioned for Warriors, that's already the effect of that talent, the talent was just rephrased a bit and now has a duration listed.

Edit: Actually checking more thoroughly, it might mean that Savage Defense is no longer only for physical attacks.
    Last edited by Cluck; 2011-03-30 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    Edit: Actually checking more thoroughly, it might mean that Savage Defense is no longer only for physical attacks.
    If this is true I will be very happy I am glad they are buffing swipe but not too much to where we can just run a round spaming swipe like in wrath lol

Won't be able to swipe spam with the cool down on it. But it does need to hit harder, it doesn't compare to hammer of the righteous or thunderclap.

Quote Originally Posted by nytefang View Post
    Won't be able to swipe spam with the cool down on it. But it does need to hit harder, it doesn't compare to hammer of the righteous or thunderclap.
    Well they did just update the Damage of it by 75% and they buffed thrash a little

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post

How the hell did you come to this conclusion?

No. Every tanks mastery deals only with physical damage. And they always will.

Anyway, the only change being made is that your shield does not disappear after taking a hit, unless it's absorbed its max capacity. It'll be similar to a DK's blood shield.

The change is being made for AOE tanking, because Savage Defense is currently worthless for it, for obvious reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    If SD absorbs all damage now.....shiiiiit, feral druid is top tank now. The 10 sec thing is adressing the biggest problem of feral mitigation : uptime. Now crit isnt higher than 30-35%, that means you wont have a SD up all the time for every hit. And also, it means that a 10k shield wont get wasted on a 1k hit (numbers are made up but it exemplifies just fine).

To you Vodamn : "now absorbs damage equal to 35% of your attack power for 10 sec instead of reducing the damage taken from the next physical attack".
    If they said "absorbs physical damage equal..." it would be more clear.
    Last edited by Octan; 2011-03-30 at 09:56 PM.

Still not sure I'm going to try and play my bear again. Here's the QQ you've been warned.

I just don't think they're solid tanks anymore. All of the edges they've had (HP and Armor) are gone now and all they can do is really block and dodge. I rolled a paladin in Cataclysm and not only his holding threat 30 times easier, but I have much better "oh shit" abilities and his block far exceeds my savage defense (not to mention the chance is far higher too), his dodge is half of my bears, and to add to that he has another 12% chance for a parry.

Both tanks are about equally geared (same ilevel right now). The bear just seems to take more damage (granted I will say this, he deals more damage back, especially with mangle spam) then my paladin.

One of my major problems with the bear too is a constant lack of rage. That's why I'm hoping if this is a mechanical change, it will allow more rage to be generated defensively.

Would also be nice if they upgraded leader of the pack healing effect slightly.

this is the change:

On live, say i have a boss and a nonelite random mob attacking me.
    My SD procs, Reducing the damage from the next attack on my by X.

So, the nonelite pokes me for 2 damage. SD gone.

boss faceraeps my bear for 60k. no mitigation.

on the new PTR:
    say i have a boss and a nonelite random mob attacking me.
    My SD procs, Reducing Absorbing X damage from attacks for the next 10 seconds.

So, the nonelite pokes me for 2 damage. X -2 left on my SD bubble.
    Still plenty of bubble left to mitigate damage from the bosses attack.

This change needed to go to life in 3.0.1 when SD was changed into our bear block. really. bear block has been friggin useless for years now.
    Last edited by Kazlehoff; 2011-03-30 at 10:06 PM.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Ill admit i also understood that sd now absorbs both magical and physical damage. The description kinda suggests that too.
    This definetly needs some clarification.
    But even if this is only to physical damage, thats still a big buff. Thou i dont remember if the percentage was nerfed thou.
    Swipe and trash damage increase is also very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaja View Post
    Ill admit i also understood that sd now absorbs both magical and physical damage. The description kinda suggests that too.
    This definetly needs some clarification.
    But even if this is only to physical damage, thats still a big buff. Thou i dont remember if the percentage was nerfed thou.
    Swipe and trash damage increase is also very nice.
    It won't absorb magical damage. It doesn't need clarification, it's kind of obvious.

What I don't get and am livid about is Blizzard's unfounded all-around nerf to bears and now this slow gradual restoration. Like we're supposed to be happy we're getting 'buffs' that we'd already had.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nytefang View Post
    a big difference compared to the other tanks, warriros TC pally consecration and DK D&D. is that it are ground effects. druid aoe moves are actual attacks and can be parry'ed / dodged. this is why we build lwoer aoe threat and also why some mobs tent to sneak tru after missing them whit both swipe and trash :P
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalZohnny View Post
    Well they did just update the Damage of it by 75% and they buffed thrash a little
    Hate how that sounds , 75% seems like a lot till you realize how crap swipe has become this xpan and its just 72 more base damage and they will remove the bonus threat modifier from it.
    It will still hit for crap just every 3 seconds instead of 6 now.
    Last edited by mmocffc62feb06; 2011-03-31 at 11:49 AM.