Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    < Too lazy to Quote Asera.
    I agree with that, but the problem is that people ignore stickies. So, bring forth the banhammers.
    But I've started to like ASUS, despite having harbored a loathing for them for years. I'll even go and buy a laptop by them further ahead.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I like this thread. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting tired at how many threads are popping up lately that are either

Build me a system followed by 30 posts containint '2500K'
    Rate my system, most of which being 2500K systems, and the rest having everyone go 'get a 2500K'
    Need a cheap upgrade, where most recommend a 955BE (if it's someone with an AM2+ board) followed by a few people going 'save and get a 2500K'

Maybe we should sticky it and build it up to include a few other hardware options (ie: non Asus boards), or a couple other builds like a sweet spot budget Core i3 2100 system?

Then put a nice big READ THIS BEFORE POSTING BUILD ME A COMPUTER xD

Then we can have more discussion threads instead of posting 2500K all day!
    Thanks Yeah, I actually have three different builds saved in notepads that I copy paste for different budgets for people. It gets redundant.

---------- Post added 2011-04-02 at 09:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1187 View Post
    I agree with the list, but I wouldn't bother posting hard drives. Id just put "any 7200rpm hdd" and leave size up for the buyer.
    Hard Drive Discs are pretty tricky. A WD Caviar Black has a 64 MB cash but is nearly twice the cost of the Samsung Spinpoint F3. So, with that in mind, the Spinpoint is better price/performance.

wouldnt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233144 be just a bit better. 5 bucks isnt much, but still cheaper.

unless theres sumthing im missing about this ram

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsoggy View Post
    wouldnt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233144 be just a bit better. 5 bucks isnt much, but still cheaper.

unless theres sumthing im missing about this ram
    Undervolted RAM is much easier to overclock.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Undervolted RAM is much easier to overclock.
    Less generated heat at stock too, since overclocking memory isn't very necessary outside of flaunting benchmarks.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Less generated heat at stock too, since overclocking memory isn't very necessary outside of flaunting benchmarks.
    I've never had RAM generate enough heat for it to make a difference. >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never had RAM generate enough heat for it to make a difference. >.>
    I have a set of gskill sticks that heat up pretty bad. They're in the i5 system in my sig (at work).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a set of gskill sticks that heat up pretty bad. They're in the i5 system in my sig (at work).
    Did you take their heatsinks off?

What's this about low voltage being more conducive to overclocking? My ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231303) is rated at 1.65V

Will it be hard to OC?

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you take their heatsinks off?
    Nope. They're just crap.

RMA'd them too just incase, same deal. They aren't even 1.6v sticks, they're standard 1.5v 1333 sticks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruu View Post
    What's this about low voltage being more conducive to overclocking? My ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231303) is rated at 1.65V

Will it be hard to OC?
    In Sandy Bridge systems people are strongly advised not to use a voltage higher than 1.65V. Not even a little bit higher. RAM that is designed to run at 1.65V therefore has no headroom to increase the voltage for overclocking. Lower voltage RAM such as the popular G.Skill CL9 1600MHz 1.5V sticks have that extra room to play with to increase the voltage up to as high as 1.65V in order to OC by increasing the frequency (or reduce timings, but increasing frequency has a more significant effect on performance).

10+ Year Old Account
    RAM only produces around 10-12 watts per stick lol It couldn't have been that hot...
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    In Sandy Bridge systems people are strongly advised not to use a voltage higher than 1.65V. Not even a little bit higher. RAM that is designed to run at 1.65V therefore has no headroom to increase the voltage for overclocking. Lower voltage RAM such as the popular G.Skill CL9 1600MHz 1.5V sticks have that extra room to play with to increase the voltage up to as high as 1.65V in order to OC by increasing the frequency (or reduce timings, but increasing frequency has a more significant effect on performance).
    Where do you go to find these things out? This will be my first overclock and I'd hate to not know something important like that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruu View Post
    Where do you go to find these things out? This will be my first overclock and I'd hate to not know something important like that
    It was stated in Intel's Design Guide which said 1.5 +/- 10%. No one knows the maximum safe voltage for Sandybridge but ASUS has stated that 1.425 VCore is the maximum they recommend for any overclock.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    I like this thread. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting tired at how many threads are popping up lately that are either

Build me a system followed by 30 posts containint '2500K'
    Rate my system, most of which being 2500K systems, and the rest having everyone go 'get a 2500K'
    Need a cheap upgrade, where most recommend a 955BE (if it's someone with an AM2+ board) followed by a few people going 'save and get a 2500K'

Maybe we should sticky it and build it up to include a few other hardware options (ie: non Asus boards), or a couple other builds like a sweet spot budget Core i3 2100 system?

Then put a nice big READ THIS BEFORE POSTING BUILD ME A COMPUTER xD

Then we can have more discussion threads instead of posting 2500K all day!
    Seriously get a 2500k the performance is fantastic for such an affordable price

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-04-02 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    /facepalm /headdesk

Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    I'm going to agree with the spacesuit above me.
    Sandy Bridge is great, but it's not the solution for everything.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I'm going to agree with the spacesuit above me.
    Sandy Bridge is great, but it's not the solution for everything.
    Agreed. It fits with this thread (Price/Performance) but situationally, the i5 2500k is not for everyone.
    (Also, I'd like to personally thank the active posters on this thread. Up until about February, I didn't know the difference between this or that in the computer world. I'd like to think I have a pretty functional knowledge of computers now that I've spent some time here. )

Since the motherboard don't support SLI or Crossfire, you can drop PSU to the 650W model with clear conscience. Could write something about it in the first post to clear up any misconceptions.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.