h maloriak 10m help

My guild has been struggling dramatically at the heroic maloriak encounter - the two main reasons being that adds just don't die fast enough and we lack a raid damage prevention cooldown.

Absolute best case scenario we get done with dark adds about 5 seconds before red/blue start. I can't recall an instance where we had the aberrations all down prior to the next dark phase starting.

Specifically a question about locks - how many targets is hellfire a better option than just casting outright on something? During black phase our lock will go nuts with hellfire as does most of our other aoe dps. we have two single target dps [spriest/mmks hunter [who isn't multishotting]] so naturally one or two adds die before the rest of the pile. When there's only three adds up [in this case the swills] is it still better to hellfire or should the lock being using single target spells instead?

Due to the interrupt/dispel requirements during green, we usually have a ret pally and spriest stay on malo with the tank as neither of them seem able to deal any form of aoe damage worth having. Also, how much more effective would a surv hunter be on aberrations than a marksman one. I'm not as concerned about the dark phase adds as they're usually about dead when he transitions.

Our second problem is that our healing comp lacks a priest or pally so the scorching breaths are obnoxious for us. We do good on interrupting the storm, only 3 total ticks in 50+ pulls have gone off, but the breath, especially when blue phase has already happened [more adds up - more heals to the second tank] is just murdering us, despite healers doing a fantastic job of getting people up quickly between breaths

Tell your DPS to wait 5 secs for aggro then go all out. Tell the shadowpriest to AOE, they have really good AOE and get the MM hunter to spam Multishot (its better than single target when there are 3+ adds)

Goodluck!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll say this if it comforts you some. The dps requirement for the 10man version of this encounter is utterly loopy.
    If the class is no good at AoE, you cannot really bring them, End of story.

You lack a Priest or a Paladin... oh dear. Errr, yeah I'm gonna just say it, get one.
    Aura mastery + Fire Protection on those flames is necessary, and then a Disc Power Word: Barrier will save your ass on top of that.
    Infact I'd go so far as to say Holy Paladin, and Disc Preist's are the hero healers of this fight. If you want to ease the healing, you need one.

10man heroics have so much wrong with their requirements at the moment I don't know why Blizzard have even bothered, these encounters are for a pool of 25 people and their skills no and, if's or but's.
    Frankly I just want 10 mans scrapped, I love my guild so help me but It's driving me up the wall how out of whack we are compared to those who stuck with 25's.

You should definitely tell your dps to wait until they are picked up by the tank you can cause a lot of dps problems on them when attacking and ripping off your tank. Also the hunter should be using Mutlishot as much as possible and if he does that and you still have a problem have him go survival in you need additional AoE dps Surv is a decent bit better AoE. If you need more raid cds try to adjust your raid to be more equipped for it. If worst comes to worst just wait until 4.1 Warriors will get raid stand and shamans gain a raid cd as well i don't know what your comp is but if you don't have any raid cds its unfortunate. but GL man

Quote Originally Posted by Loharl View Post
    Tell your DPS to wait 5 secs for aggro then go all out. Tell the shadowpriest to AOE, they have really good AOE and get the MM hunter to spam Multishot (its better than single target when there are 3+ adds)

Goodluck!
    Shadow Priests have really good AOE? What crack are you on? :P Despite how much SPs seemt o hate multi-dotting, he should be here, the ads have plenty of HP and are up long enough for DOTs to run. if he is only using mind fail, then yes, the DPS will be weak!

I sympathise with you though cause we just got this down and it really is a classic example of where the 10-man tuning goes to hell. We had to stack our raid with AOE heavy classes (2x mages, a rogue and our hunter respecced SV - though this was way too much in the end and probably 3 strong AOE classes is sufficient). On top of that you have the interupts to cater for and then something which brings CDs, its quite the balancing act in 10man (though no doubt all the haters will tell you "lol its harder on 25s l2p"

10+ Year Old Account
    Is your Shadow Priest multi-dotting the aberrations right before the green phases then Mind Searing off the tank when they're grouped up with the debuff? Make sure the Shadow Priest uses Mind Blast with a Shadow Orb too for the increased damage-over-time buff from our Mastery. I am guilty for sometimes letting it fall off during multi-dot sessions or not casting it for the buff. All in all, the Shadow Priest AoE will be a huge asset to the AoE in the green phase! Shadow Priests are pretty overpowered at AoE in my opinion if they're multi-dotting. Mind Sear is kind of weak but with the debuff that gets applied to the adds it's worth using.

This encounter really is a dps check. You should have around 10-15sec after killing Vile Swills before Maloriak pushes blue/red phase. Best scenerio is to get Release Aberrations prior to dark phase, so they can get nuked down with the swills. You really cannot let any Arcane Storms get a single tick off, its not hard for that interrupter to see Arcane Storm getting ready on DBM and waiting for it to cast to interrupt. Always Interrupt the Storm and Release in the green phase let the last release of the green phase off so you again can dps aberrations along with swills in the dark phase. Your warlock is gonna wanna be demo and using hellfire spam, spriest spreading dots, and hunter using multi-shot when they can.

without any raid cds unless your heals are pro you may have to get lucky rng and have 3 adds up before black to aoe with the swills, then red phase (interupt adds so the ot can share dmg with raid) let both release abberations go in blue, then hope that you get another black --> red --> blue for the second cycle

3 adds up? Erm, what? You know 5 swills spawn right?

Anyway, dps shouldn't be an issue on the boss, we have to wait 1 1/2 full "phases" to wait on a green phase and we have everyone switching to the adds. We have used double demo lock for every kill so far though, although our fire mages do pretty much the same amount of AoE as the locks do. Double demo just means the adds are a cakewalk really, we kill adds in black phase (3 aberrations and 5 swills) with 15-30seconds left, yes demo really is that good for this fight.

Another thing we found better if you didn't gather it from the previous paragraph, if he doesn't cast Aberrations before the first black phase, just run out and reset, if you kill 3 aberrations and the 5 swills in each black phase, it makes the healing on the add tank A LOT easier during the blue and red phases.

What specifically is your full setup for the fight? Do you have a paladin tank for a raidwall during red phase who's your 2nd melee for interrupts or do you use a tank and is that melee's aoe good or weak.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ulA7MbF_g

This is we handled the encounter, i guess its pretty much the same tacc as others.

What you have to think about is to get 3 small adds before the dark phase, if you dont.. go out and reset it and go again.
    I wouldnt say that our AoE in the group is crap... but could ofcourse had more (scrub ele shaman rly!)

If you would either link a worldoflogs link for the best attempt and/or type what classes/speccs you are going with it would help alot to give direct advices.

And for the reduction in redphase... i do think i used divine guardian like once. And still wouldnt of killed us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    My guild has been struggling dramatically at the heroic maloriak encounter - the two main reasons being that adds just don't die fast enough and we lack a raid damage prevention cooldown.

Absolute best case scenario we get done with dark adds about 5 seconds before red/blue start. I can't recall an instance where we had the aberrations all down prior to the next dark phase starting.

Specifically a question about locks - how many targets is hellfire a better option than just casting outright on something? During black phase our lock will go nuts with hellfire as does most of our other aoe dps. we have two single target dps [spriest/mmks hunter [who isn't multishotting]] so naturally one or two adds die before the rest of the pile. When there's only three adds up [in this case the swills] is it still better to hellfire or should the lock being using single target spells instead?

Due to the interrupt/dispel requirements during green, we usually have a ret pally and spriest stay on malo with the tank as neither of them seem able to deal any form of aoe damage worth having. Also, how much more effective would a surv hunter be on aberrations than a marksman one. I'm not as concerned about the dark phase adds as they're usually about dead when he transitions.

Our second problem is that our healing comp lacks a priest or pally so the scorching breaths are obnoxious for us. We do good on interrupting the storm, only 3 total ticks in 50+ pulls have gone off, but the breath, especially when blue phase has already happened [more adds up - more heals to the second tank] is just murdering us, despite healers doing a fantastic job of getting people up quickly between breaths
    First, you are releasing 3 Aberrations to kill in each black phase right? It can be bugged where it doesn't happen, but when we get that we just run out and reset. Releasing 3 Aberrations for each black phase makes the fight much easier, both in AoE'ing during the green phase and the OT damage as well.

You really shouldn't be having troubles with AoE if you have a lock and a hunter. I don't know the specifics of playing a lock so I can't help you with that, but one of their specs is very good at AoE, as is a Survival hunter. You are also hurting yourself by having the Ret/Spriest stay on Maloriak during the green phase. You said you are having trouble with adds dying, so having 2 dps not on them isn't helping you at all, and dps on Maloriak himself is irrelevant since you are going to have to stop dps during the 2nd round of vials anyway to not push him over too soon. I believe there are 2 release aberrations cast during the green phase, so your tank can interrupt the first one and you want to let the 2nd one through since that will give you your 3 adds for the next black phase. You can always use focus targets and focus dispel the buff on him without needing to be actually targeting him.

You don't need a pally or priest although obviously their CDs are pretty useful for breaths. The first thing you want to do is make sure that you are not interrupting the first release aberrations cast - we've found that interrupting that cast can lead to 3 breaths in the red phase due to his timers and while we have healed through that we also have both a priest and a pally. With neither in your comp 3 breaths is going to be very tough. You should still set up a rotation of the CDs that you do have amongst your healers to get through it, and if you only have 3 or even 6 aberrations up for your OT then you can even have him line up and take some of that damage as well if you really need to. If you know its going to be difficult you should call out for personal CDs like dispersion, bubble, etc.

Get your lock to figure out how to play his class and AoE, and make your hunter go Survival. With that, combined even with worse AoE output from the other classes you should be perfectly fine on the adds in both the black and green phases. Your healing comp may require some planning and effort to get through the red phases but it is by no means impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    3 adds up? Erm, what? You know 5 swills spawn right?
    If you read his post he is clearly talking about having 3 adds up prior to the black phase (ie 3 aberrations) which is exactly what you said in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    If you read his post he is clearly talking about having 3 adds up prior to the black phase (ie 3 aberrations) which is exactly what you said in your post.
    Where in his text do you see him mentioning allowing an aberrations cast before the first black phase? He said about barely having the aberrations dead before the next black phase but nothing about the cast before..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Where in his text do you see him mentioning allowing an aberrations cast before the first black phase? He said about barely having the aberrations dead before the next black phase but nothing about the cast before..
    I assumed you were talking about the post directly above you that mentioned 3 adds up.

If you were talking about the OP who mentioned 3 adds, the sentence before that said that 1 or 2 of the adds would die faster than the others, so he wanted to know what the best way for his lock to AoE with the 3 remaining swills.

I would post a parse but evidently I can't post links here D:

Our raid comp [feral bear, prot pal, ret pal, spriest, resto drood x2, resto shaman, lock [demo/destro], hunter[all three specs], frost dk] is pretty much unchangeable as we have only ten unique players and we're extremely casual about it and don't force people to play certain things. People get to play what they want to play, so yes this is obviously a self inflicted problem we're running into. We do have a prot pally for DG, but it's apparently hard to time with scorching blasts after the first one of a phase as the DBM timers go off badly.

"You are also hurting yourself by having the Ret/Spriest stay on Maloriak during the green phase. You said you are having trouble with adds dying, so having 2 dps not on them isn't helping you at all, and dps on Maloriak himself is irrelevant since you are going to have to stop dps during the 2nd round of vials anyway to not push him over too soon."

How is the tank [feral] supposed to interrupt both the arcane storms during green phase as well as the aberration releases? As it is our tranqing/dispelling is fairly lousy malo was typically healing himself for upwards of 5 million on the couple of fights we were able to at least see the last phase.

"The first thing you want to do is make sure that you are not interrupting the first release aberrations cast - we've found that interrupting that cast can lead to 3 breaths in the red phase due to his timers and while we have healed through that we also have both a priest and a pally. With neither in your comp 3 breaths is going to be very tough."

This is really good. I noticed a few times where we had three breath red phases and couldn't figure why. To the first aberration cast you refer to - do you mean the first in red phase or the first in the fight? We find he still sometimes interrupts himself which is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    I assumed you were talking about the post directly above you that mentioned 3 adds up.

If you were talking about the OP who mentioned 3 adds, the sentence before that said that 1 or 2 of the adds would die faster than the others, so he wanted to know what the best way for his lock to AoE with the 3 remaining swills.
    Ahh, seems we both got mixed up then, we both gave pretty much the same idea anyway Apologies for the mix up.

---------- Post added 2011-04-08 at 12:31 AM ----------

"You are also hurting yourself by having the Ret/Spriest stay on Maloriak during the green phase. You said you are having trouble with adds dying, so having 2 dps not on them isn't helping you at all, and dps on Maloriak himself is irrelevant since you are going to have to stop dps during the 2nd round of vials anyway to not push him over too soon."

How is the tank [feral] supposed to interrupt both the arcane storms during green phase as well as the aberration releases? As it is our tranqing/dispelling is fairly lousy malo was typically healing himself for upwards of 5 million on the couple of fights we were able to at least see the last phase.
    Simple, you don't, you let those aberrations come out so you have 3 for black phase, and then interrupt the next cast if you get one before 2nd black phase. This will mean your add tank needs some healing between green and black phases, but it also allows his vengeance to stack up so his aggro will be a lot better on swills.

10+ Year Old Account

Couple ways to do it. I was thinking there was only 1 Arcane Storms in that phase but I'm not on that interrupt duty so there could be 2 of them. But even with 2 that only makes 3 interrupts that you need that phase (2 storms, 1 aberrations) because you should be letting the 2nd aberrations go through so that you have 3 up for the next black phase. First, make sure that you you are tanking the boss and the adds right on top of each other. The easiest way then would be just to have your feral tank and your DK rotate their interrupts and not only should they be able to get all 3 but the DK can continue to put out pretty good AoE while doing it. Alternatively you could have your Ret stay on the boss but your Spriest can still do their AoE. And lastly you can have your resto shaman grab the spirit to hit talent from the Ele tree and do the interrupts. We have our resto shaman do that sometimes for Omnotron if we don't have some of our melee interrupters.

You are really hurting yourself with not getting that buff off of Maloriak immediately and you have to fix that. Tell the person (or maybe have a couple of them) to make that a priority. As a mage, its my job to spellsteal the buff from Arcanotron on ODS so I have a special buff frame set up (I use Satrina Buff Frames but you can do it any buff addon I'm sure) to show only that particular buff for my focus target and I always make him my focus when he spawns. Same thing applies here, just have whomever is doing the dispelling set it up so they can quickly and easily see that the buff is up and then use a focus dispel macro. That way they can keep doing whatever they are doing (healing, AoE'ing, etc) and don't have to be watching Maloriak himself. It will make things much easier.

This is really good. I noticed a few times where we had three breath red phases and couldn't figure why. To the first aberration cast you refer to - do you mean the first in red phase or the first in the fight? We find he still sometimes interrupts himself which is annoying.
    I mean the first Release Aberrations cast in the red phase. Interrupting that can lead to the 3rd breath but letting it go through should put a stop to that.

Honestly, with a Frost DK, a Survival hunter, and a whatever spec does good AoE lock (demo?) you should have no problems with those adds. You've very good AoE output between those 3 classes. Your healing comp may have to work harder than a group with a priest or pally but that is still doable. So the comp you have can definitely do this fight, you just have to tighten it up and everyone has to their jobs well.