Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Weapon enchant for Holy

My wife recently saw Chelley's dropped for her holy priest and we're now looking into enchanting it, so really there are 4 options, which one would you choose and why:

- Power Torrent, proc for 300 int
    - Hurricane, proc for 450 haste
    - Heartsong, proc for 200 spirit
    - Greater Spellpower, 81 spellpower

Power torrent is ideal for offensive casters, as the buff to int will always get used and you'll periodicly do more damage, from a healing perspective, this is not as interesting; if it procs, you might not even need it, and murphy's law stats, once the robot fails on Chimeron and you really need that extra oomph, ofcourse it never procs.

Hurricane, see above, haste as a base stat is nice, proccing it, not so much.

Heartsong, proccing 200 spirit and thus from time to time regen more mana, you can never go wrong, but at which point do you have 'enough' mana regen to last. Holy priests currently have one of the best mana regens in the game; what kind of spirit number, buffed 10man raiding, would a player need, assuming 2 healers for easy bosses and 3 for later ones. This is ofcourse the crunch, if you can attain enough spirit from gear, the proc goes to waste, as ending up with a full mana bar at the end of the fight is useless.

Greater spellpower, while outdated and not granting base stats which can be affected by buffs etc, still does what it says on the tin, 81 spellpower, its reliable, always works.

So, what rocks the best priests boats and why?

Hurricane isn't as good, as haste is an awesome stat, but can't always be put to use.

The +81 spellpower is pretty outdated, and it's not the difficult mats that really make it low, just that its output is pretty meh. You can have more output by using Heartsong and dropping a bit of spirit for more haste/mastery.

So your two choices out of the four are really Heartsong and Power Torrent.

At about a 350-ish ilvl, she should (assuming she's properly geared) be able to run with Power Torrent instead of Heartsong because a) It offers about 85% of the regen of heartsong (assuming you use cooldowns during its proc) and b) it offers additional output.

Heartsong really is the best regen enchant. But sacrificing a bit of that for some pretty substantial output can be pretty significant. Of course, if she's a Gnome or a Blood Elf, you can make that Power Torrent transition sooner.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I'll give you the short version: Power Torrent is hands down the best enchant for any caster class period. Heals dps, one hand + off hand or staff doesn't matter. If you are a caster use Power Torrent.

Long as you can afford it and have a weapon worth putting it on.

Throughput is more important than having insane regen, good heals are capping out at 2-3k spirit and pretty much try to acquire as much intellect as possible

Deleted
    Kalesti, can you link your armory? I want to check your gemming. :P

+40 int in every slot, except two Reckless (Int/Haste) cuts for my meta.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Okay, thank you for that clear answer, currently the guild is out of Maelstroms, but she does deserve the right to request them for this particular enchant, for now we've went with spellpower for throughput as she has enough spirit through gear, roughly 3k buffed.

Deleted
    As other people have stated above, Power Torrent is the best enchant by far. The intel proc, does not only affect thruput, it also gives extra regen while the proc is active.
    Did some testing while tracking the internal cooldown of Power Torrent, and the thing procs EVERY single possible time it can.

Deleted
    Heartsong for holy no doubt. Power Torrent is way to rng and watching for multiple procs, so you can use abilities in correlation with PT is gonna keep your eyes off the important stuff i'm sorry to say. Holy priest do not have the best regen in the game, we just channel most of our regen through stats where others do it through abilities, and it therefore seems like we got the best regen. If you cannot burn through all your mana for some reason I suggest you heal more or start doing dmg if your raid is full health, good healers know how to spend their mana so regen is important.

Power torrent is just...urg, I use heartsong because it's reliable. My mana regen is fine, so I reforge out of spirit on gear for haste/mastery or pick up pieces of gear with haste/mastery and no spirit. Overall my throughput is increased (reliably so) and my regen remains similar to what it was.

I don't understand the whole 'too much regen' thing, just lose some spirit on gear...

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Heartsong for holy no doubt. Power Torrent is way to rng and watching for multiple procs, so you can use abilities in correlation with PT is gonna keep your eyes off the important stuff i'm sorry to say.
    What are you talking about? Power Torrent is plenty reliable, it has a standard 45 second ICC, it procs 1PM. 500 intellect for 15 seconds every 45 seconds is far superior to 200 spirit with 75% uptime, you are getting regen, crit and spell power from that proc. Honestly, if you're using heartsong when you could be using Power Torrent you're doing it wrong, need look no further than to armory a few priest heals from some top guilds to see that (see Firstaidspec and Lawliepop from Blood Legion for instance).

And no sparky, good healers don't burn through their mana because it's there, they manage it so they can use when they actually need to.
    Last edited by Bucky Mclachlan; 2011-04-13 at 11:05 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    hi.

the top priests switch between Power Torrent and Heartsong depending on the fight needs. Power Torrent for throughput and Heartsong for regen.

of course not everyone can just "switch" like that all the time. Power Torrent is viable for more throughput, and if she has tailoring, darkglow will help not missing the regen provided by heartsong. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by elugoruiz View Post
    the top priests switch between Power Torrent and Heartsong depending on the fight needs. Power Torrent for throughput and Heartsong for regen.
    Source on this please.

Quote Originally Posted by elugoruiz View Post
    hi.

I really really doubt this. 200 spirit is very minimal regen. My realm is very well known for having some of the best priests (example: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iepop/advanced co-gm from #5 guild in the world, #1 in US), and AFAIK they just stick with power torrent and don't bother with alternative gear sets.

EDIT: Seems to have logged out in dps gear but I've never known Blood Legions healers to not go full SP/Intellect over everything else.
    Last edited by Bucky Mclachlan; 2011-04-13 at 11:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Mclachlan View Post
    What are you talking about? Power Torrent is plenty reliable, it has a standard 45 second ICC, it procs 1PM. 500 intellect for 15 seconds every 45 seconds is far superior to 200 spirit with 75% uptime, you are getting regen, crit and spell power from that proc. Honestly, if you're using heartsong when you could be using Power Torrent you're doing it wrong, need look no further than to armory a few priest heals from some top guilds to see that (see Firstaidspec and Lawliepop from Blood Legion for instance).

And no sparky, good healers don't burn through their mana because it's there, they manage it so they can use when they actually need to.
    Want me to find a bunch of other top priests that disagree with your top priests? I'm sorry but your arguement is next to useless, you can always link profiles that say nothing.

Heartsong is realiable and you know what you get. PT on the other can proc in downphases (which most fights have) where it will do nothing, yes it can shine when shit hits the fan, but it being rng means you're taking chances when you could be playing it safe. The regen from PT is abysmal at best if not combined with multiple other procs in comparison with heartsong, that just leaves you with the crit/spellpower boost which can happen at any time. You cannot line up PT procs for heavy aoe phases, the encounters simply don't function like that, if PT was on use I would certainly agree it would be the obovious choice, but it's not...
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-04-13 at 11:34 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I should rephrase:

The only times I've seen top priests not having Power Torrent but Heartsong is when they seem to be doing an achievement or a specific fight. However this may not indicate that they do this regularly. Also, I don't think they change enchants because of a fight. Rather they change specs, and this is accompanied by a change of enchant. As stated before, Heartsong for Holy and PT for disc as it outperforms Heartsong in this spec.

For specific names, I remember seeing Jhazrun (EU, world #1) playing around with it.

Edit: You would for example catch Jhazrun with PT as disc and Zhinn with Heartsong as Holy atm. (Both EU)

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Want me to find a bunch of other top priests that disagree with your top priests?
    Well that's just the thing, you won't, the ones I mentioned are quite literally the very best in the game. Blood Legion is world renowned for it's heals, especially priests. Never heard of Diggz?

It's true Blood Legion is a very very well respected guild. At that level of raiding - Power torrent is just outright better because mana just won't be an issue to a holy priest of that caliber.

What you have to remember is just because these priests all use Power Torrent exclusively now certainly doesn't mean they were using it exclusively when T11 content was progression. All the best priests in the world cleared T11 months ago, so going by their current armories/logs really don't say anything about what is best for progression. I'm not arguing that either PT/HS is better for any purpose, just arguing that you need to fully consider the information you use as support for your argument.

I personally use Power Torrent so that I can pop my Engi gloves/ Hymn of Hope when it's up & ideally have upwards of 170k max mana when I use my Shadowfiend.

Heartsong and Power Torrent are both strong. There's not much point arguing over the two. If you like Int procs more then get Power Torrent. If you like Spirit pros more then get Heartsong. You'll do fine with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Mclachlan View Post
    I'll give you the short version: Power Torrent is hands down the best enchant for any caster class period. Heals dps, one hand + off hand or staff doesn't matter. If you are a caster use Power Torrent.
    For Holy Paladins Power Torrent and Heartsong are pretty much almost equal. In an absolute perfect world where you can always time your cds perfect and nothing unintended happens at all power torrent would be slightly ahead. In the end in the reality its not worth the hassle and the cost for most paladins. So this generalisation is wrong (at least for holy palas).

Sorry for the offtopic *waves and runs out*