Magmaw spike/impale PoV

ok so I was on my ret pally the other day and apparently i was doing this wrong, or so i was told...

jump on earthworm jim>click 1>aim at pillar>fire

now, i saw my chain hit the spike and hole on there, so even if i fail to hit the spike it will show like if it was latched on anyway? we got him impaled a few times and other times it missed....when i aim at the spike, do i put the green circle RIGHT ON the spike or like right in the middle where the border of the circle is surrounding the spike therefor the spike is in the middle...?

You have it right, you aim at the spike, and it'll latch on. The thing is, you all need to do it at the exact same time for it to work, not just one person.

Deleted
    directly on it usually , my melee mate jumps with me instantly and we are impaling him directly never missed^^

You just need to hit in the general area of the spike for it to latch. If it didn't bring him down, it's because you were well away from it or because the spikes weren't applied with close enough timing.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

It takes more than one person boarding Magmaw and successfully executing the chain to pillar maneuver (exactly how you described) to impale him and bring his head down. Other folks might not be getting up or executing to slowly?

~Kara
    "Intelligence in chains loses in lucidity, what it gains in intensity." Albert Camus

15+ Year Old Account
    What I do is that I jump on, wait until I see the other person's chain and then throw down mine. Never failed yet... If you have high latency it's a bit of a gamble though.

Deleted
    If you are doing this together with people that have low latency, it is wise to wait until you see the first chain (given that your latency is less than say a 100ms). If you are the one lagging, tell the others to wait until your chain is applied.

I've got people from South Africa and Australia in my guild, and their latency can skyrocket to 1500ms at times.

it could of been the timing then...thanx alot...the one guy in my guild just yelled *y do u guys suck d*&k?* instead of explaining and ppl ended up just wanting to leave...appreciate the feedback im sure it was te timing that was getting us

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by herpookybear View Post
    im sure it was te timing that was getting us
    It usually is. Latency really can destroy that part of the Magmaw encounter. For the next attempts you do, just whisper or talk to whomever you will jump with and ask him what his latency is and adjust accordingly.

For the record, you do not have to wait until he rears his head back up to use the chain on the spike. Anybody going up onto the head should immediately (don't bother waiting for Magmaw to come up) target and chain the spike. There's about a 4 second window for everybody to throw the chain in unison, and if you're all clicking to jump on top of him right away, wait about one second, and then toss it. You'll never have an issue, barring some crazy disaster. It's a job that ANYBODY can do, and I really do want to emphasize that. It's very easy. I'd never done it before as a hunter, ever, waltzed in on my DK alt and did it without a hitch.

As Marest said though, latency could potentially mess this up. Just tell anybody who has high latency for some reason to not jump up onto Magmaw, anybody else could do it and it's generally safer that way. The faster he gets chained down, the less you have to worry about him aoeing all over the place.