15+ Year Old Account
    no i saw it, and it was called a penalty. do i think it deserves to be a suspension? i don't know, could go either way.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Bertz is back in for Detroit tonight, which gives them some much needed depth up front. The Tootoo Twain is going to be sitting out tonight :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    no i saw it, and it was called a penalty. do i think it deserves to be a suspension? i don't know, could go either way.
    Dive like that doesn't deserve a suspension, just needs to be put on display for shame.

Isn't spearing an automatic 5 minute major and game misconduct?

Either way my interweb went down after first period so I couldn't watch the rest of the game.. apparently it was a good thing I didn't.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only if they call it. I don't think the league will suspend someone for a spearing incident that wasn't called though, since well, spearing someone in the nards isn't exactly going to give a player a concussion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Dive like that doesn't deserve a suspension, just needs to be put on display for shame.
    im sorry, but if someones skateblade came that close to my head, id be diving the fuck out of the way too. helmet or no.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm sure you'd dive back and throw your legs in the air as if he kicked your head off too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Yeah I'm sure you'd dive back and throw your legs in the air as if he kicked your head off too!
    If he did embellish i say who cares, Corey Perry is a prick anyways...
    Last edited by Garbles; 2013-05-02 at 10:48 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    That was as big a dive as any this season and Perry got a penalty call on it too. No harm no foul because they ended up winning but this isn't soccer.

Man... I try to stay objective... but how does that Ference elbow, with the explanation in the NHL's video..... only get a one game suspension? He's not in a defensive position, bracing himself (whereas Brown was), he extends to MAKE the head the principle point of contact (Brown's could have been slightly unintentional). Grabovski doesn't lower his head into it in any way (Pominville did). And Ference gets 1 game and Brown got 2.

I just do not understand.

EDIT: Also a repeat offender after a boarding suspension last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    So this is a thing now...

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Man... I try to stay objective... but how does that Ference elbow, with the explanation in the NHL's video..... only get a one game suspension? He's not in a defensive position, bracing himself (whereas Brown was), he extends to MAKE the head the principle point of contact (Brown's could have been slightly unintentional). Grabovski doesn't lower his head into it in any way (Pominville did). And Ference gets 1 game and Brown got 2.

I just do not understand.

EDIT: Also a repeat offender after a boarding suspension last year.
    I imagine the relationship between Bettman and his mistress Jeremy Jacobs is a big part of the reason.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357561
    http://nesn.com/2013/01/bruins-owner...lockout-video/
    http://puckinghockey.com/2011/03/11/...no-suspension/

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    im sorry, but if someones skateblade came that close to my head, id be diving the fuck out of the way too. helmet or no.
    I gotta agree. If anyone had a blade come that close to me, I'd probably be seeing my life flashing before my eyes for a while.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2013-05-02 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I imagine the relationship between Bettman and his mistress Jeremy Jacobs is a big part of the reason.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357561
    http://nesn.com/2013/01/bruins-owner...lockout-video/
    http://puckinghockey.com/2011/03/11/...no-suspension/

I gotta agree. If anyone had a blade come that close to me, I'd probably be seeing my life flashing before my eyes for a while.
    Jesus Christ, really? You're going to say that Ference is only getting one game because Jacobs and Bettman get along? Not everything is a conspiracy theory... And using the Chara hit from 2 fucking years ago to justify your belief is just ridiculous. The hit happened two years ago, get over it. The NHL typically considers playoff games more important than regular season games in assessing penalties. One playoff game in their minds is equivalent to a 2-3 game regular season suspension. That's their reasoning for it. If Brown's hit was in the playoffs, it would've been one game. If Ference's was in the regular season, it would have been 2-3 games.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    Jesus Christ, really? You're going to say that Ference is only getting one game because Jacobs and Bettman get along? Not everything is a conspiracy theory... And using the Chara hit from 2 fucking years ago to justify your belief is just ridiculous. The hit happened two years ago, get over it. The NHL typically considers playoff games more important than regular season games in assessing penalties. One playoff game in their minds is equivalent to a 2-3 game regular season suspension. That's their reasoning for it. If Brown's hit was in the playoffs, it would've been one game. If Ference's was in the regular season, it would have been 2-3 games.
    No, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is, the penalty should always be the same. Using the playoffs as an excuse for a shorter punishment is absolutely fucking stupid and only an obvious troll would say that the suspension Ference got was justified. Brown still would have got 2 games in the playoffs for the exact same hit, and if as a department, you can't consistently and don't want to suspend players for the same duration regardless of the time of the infraction, then there is something seriously wrong with how you manage your department. And in this case, Shanahan isn't being consistent, and the playoffs of all things should hold more weight then the regular season for handing out suspensions.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're too afraid to pull the trigger on a lengthy suspension even during the regular season. Remember Weber only got a fine for WWEing Zetterberg last year. NHL's way of disciplining plays like the Ference elbow are a joke, it's nothing new. It takes someone getting taken off the ice on a stretcher for them to hand out the necessary suspension length and while it sucks, there's nothing any of us can do about it. The only "good" thing you can take from it is it doesn't matter if they suspended him for the rest of the playoffs because his replacement is just as good of a player as him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is, the penalty should always be the same. Using the playoffs as an excuse for a shorter punishment is absolutely fucking stupid and only an obvious troll would say that the suspension Ference got was justified. Brown still would have got 2 games in the playoffs for the exact same hit, and if as a department, you can't consistently and don't want to suspend players for the same duration regardless of the time of the infraction, then there is something seriously wrong with how you manage your department. And in this case, Shanahan isn't being consistent, and the playoffs of all things should hold more weight then the regular season for handing out suspensions.
    You seem to be mistaking me pointing out a fact with me trying to justify something. It is a fact that in the NHL suspensions tend to be shorter during the postseason than during the regular season. Look at the Giroux hit to Zubrus' head last seaspn, or Prust's elbow on Volchenkov. Both one game suspensions. Not to mention Weber's fiasco with Zetterberg that was merely fined. It's a fact, suspensions are shorter when handed out during the postseason. I'm not trolling, or justifying anything, I'm simply pointing out that that is how the NHL is currently run, and the reason for why it's a one game versus Brown's two.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So the Raffi Torres hit was a shorter suspension then he would have faced in the regular season? Please, last years playoffs were riddled with suspension inconsistencies, so this year won't be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    So the Raffi Torres hit was a shorter suspension then he would have faced in the regular season? Please, last years playoffs were riddled with suspension inconsistencies, so this year won't be any different.
    That was an outlier, the only suspension of that magnitude including the regular season last year, and not even remotely comparable to the Ference hit. The ones I mentioned are actually comparable to Ference's hit, and all three were one game suspensions. I'm simply pointing out a trend in that this type of hit is given a shorter suspension in the postseason than the regular season. Go back and look at them.

I liked Erik K's goal.

It's silly though that a hit could be more intentional and receive less suspension. You're setting a bad precedent that you can get away with a lot more in the playoffs. Then Rome gets suspended for the rest of the playfofs and people are like 'wait, what?'