Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druxray View Post
    Series is over no need to jump on people and be brainwashed by the media. "an easy save for me, but if you're wandering out and aggressive like [Thomas] does, that's going to happen" is pretty much true. Luongo in general is better at going lateral and plays deeper so a goal like the one Lapiere scored on Thomas would not be as likely to be scored on Luongo. On the otherside the Marchand goal in game 6 that beat him near post would never have went in on Thomas. Eddie Olyck talked about his agressive play and maybe the Canucks were better off putting one along the ice since Thomas was coming out and standing eliminating practially the whole goal to shoot at. They are different styles and each have pros and cons.

Series is over Luongo hating resumes in October. The Canucks in general were represented in the US media at least really negatively but that is just because the media is lazy and would rather make up news then report actual news when there is not much. Luongo puts his foot in his mouth and the media loves it while if he didnt say anything and was like Thomas they would have blue balls and be pissed. Just like in the NBA Finals the whole series was about Miami even after Dallas won. Its just a better story and easier to write something negative against the favorites.

---------- Post added 2011-06-18 at 10:57 PM ----------

I judge fans based on the fans that attend the games. When the rioting started the Arena in Vancouver was still packed with fans watching the Trophy presentation and the ceremonies. I don't know if its simply geographic or economical but the type of people that go to a Vancouver game are definitely nothing like East Coast teams. I would not take my children into many Northeastern US and Canadian Arenas but would have less of an issue having them attend Edmonton, Vancouver, Colorado, Minnesota, San Jose etc. I have never attended an NHL game in Vancouver but attended WHL games in BC and the people are really nice. Vancouver is really an expensive city if you ask me and I imagine most of the people in the seats are well educated and respectful fans based on what I have seen in the area.
    Clearly you have never been to a Leafs game. 75% of the crowd are corporate suit douchebags who don't give a flying fuck about hockey and are just there to talk business and eat sushi in the lower bowl seats while the real hockey fans are forced to rot in the nosebleeds. I am all for having some level of corporate interest in the team, but when you can't go to a game because corporations buy up all the tickets, not to mention those that are available could pay the average rent cost for a month just for one person (250-500 dollars). Leafs games are quiet and tame because the real fans are all locked away in the rafters of the upper level and stuck in bars because they can't afford to go see their beloved hockey team. I have only been to a game once, in 1999 when they played Chicago as the last game at the Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Druxray View Post
    I judge fans based on the fans that attend the games. When the rioting started the Arena in Vancouver was still packed with fans watching the Trophy presentation and the ceremonies. I don't know if its simply geographic or economical but the type of people that go to a Vancouver game are definitely nothing like East Coast teams. I would not take my children into many Northeastern US and Canadian Arenas but would have less of an issue having them attend Edmonton, Vancouver, Colorado, Minnesota, San Jose etc. I have never attended an NHL game in Vancouver but attended WHL games in BC and the people are really nice. Vancouver is really an expensive city if you ask me and I imagine most of the people in the seats are well educated and respectful fans based on what I have seen in the area.
    You can say that, but the fact of the matter is I'm sure nearly all the rioters have been to one game or another during the course of the year. Not everyone can afford to purchase tickets to a Stanley Cup finals game. That would be like saying you're not a fan because you never went to a game, obviously not true. As for taking your kids to hockey games, I highly doubt they'll become corrupted by Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa[/Winnipeg] fans.

Comparing other Hockey league fans to NHL fans is not a good comparison, it's just such a different environment. I go watch the Peterborough Pete's every so often and once or twice a season I go to a Leaf game. I love Hockey in general, but I can honestly say that the experience of a non-NHL game doesn't even come close. You should consider taking your kids to a game though, regardless of where it is, going to games with my dad (back when it was relatively affordable here) were some of my best childhood memories.

10+ Year Old Account
    in other news, i cracked my nhl 11 disk fml nhl 12 isnt out for another 3 months... effing xbox 360 cd cases....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    in other news, i cracked my nhl 11 disk fml nhl 12 isnt out for another 3 months... effing xbox 360 cd cases....
    Omfg. That is incredibly brutal. Fucking new "environmentally friendly" plastic cases that are missing nearly the entire back of the case are terrible. They have no support at all on the backside anymore. Good luck making it to NHL12 lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Omfg. That is incredibly brutal. Fucking new "environmentally friendly" plastic cases that are missing nearly the entire back of the case are terrible. They have no support at all on the backside anymore. Good luck making it to NHL12 lol.
    Yea i know, because when you push the cd down or pull it up from where its held in place, the middle thing basiclly makes the cd bend... so now i have cracks going from the inside of the disc and outward. I dont have a ps3, but i do know one thing....their cd cases are much better....

Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post

Different goalies have different styles. Talking shit about one goalie is just going to give him the fuel to destroy the competition next game, much like Thomas did.

Finally I can post in this thread, shit keeps timing out.

It wasn't shit talking, the media blew it out of proportion. What really fucked over Luongo was the "pumping the tires" comment. It just showed a lot of insecurity and the need for validation. Honestly, I have never seen a goalie as good as he is be so criticized... Even after he gets a shut-out people are calling him "shaky". Doesnt make any fucking sense.

Also what Rennadrel is true, especially for play-off games. Most of the arena is full of corporate fat cats. You should come to a regular season Canucks game though. It's a very family-oriented atmosphere with games etc. During the play-offs, as you could imagine, it gets ridiculously rowdy. The police have already confirmed that most of the rioters were those that participated in the G20 and Olympic riots.
    I remember it all too well

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post

It wasn't shit talking, the media blew it out of proportion. What really fucked over Luongo was the "pumping the tires" comment. It just showed a lot of insecurity and the need for validation. Honestly, I have never seen a goalie as good as he is be so criticized... Even after he gets a shut-out people are calling him "shaky". Doesnt make any fucking sense.

Also what Rennadrel is true, especially for play-off games. Most of the arena is full of corporate fat cats. You should come to a regular season Canucks game though. It's a very family-oriented atmosphere with games etc. During the play-offs, as you could imagine, it gets ridiculously rowdy. The police have already confirmed that most of the rioters were those that participated in the G20 and Olympic riots.
    In my opinion it's just hard to be a goalie in a Canadian market. You are basically under a microscope 24/7 by the media. Any small thing they have on you will be blown out of proportion until they destroy your career. I've seen so many good players come to Toronto and play terrible here. Most of them never play well again in this league. It takes a really strong person to play in Canada. This playoffs I have never seen a person come under as much criticism as Luongo. Starting from the Chicago series he has been in the spot light of the media. It doesn't even matter how well he played because the fact of the matter is that his team still failed to score enough goals.
    Last edited by knaackg; 2011-06-19 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knaackg View Post
    In my opinion it's just hard to be a goalie in a Canadian market. You are basically under a microscope 24/7 by the media. Any small thing they have on you will be blown out of proportion until they destroy your career. I've seen so many good players come to Toronto and play terrible here. Most of them never play well again in this league. It takes a really strong person to play in Canada. This playoffs I have never seen a person come under as much criticism as Luongo. Starting from the Chicago series he has been in the spot light of the media. It doesn't even matter how well he played because the fact of the matter is that his team still failed to score enough goals.
    I don't want to sound like some sort of elitist, but I feel you can't really compare playing in Montreal or Toronto to anywhere else, even in Canada, in regards to the pressure you will face in any other Hockey town, particularly because of the media.

10+ Year Old Account

The reason Luongo gets so much criticism, is because he has a past of choking in the playoffs, liiiike the last 2 years they were eliminated by the hawks, another thing is. They think so good of Luongo, everyone says hes the best in the league, and when it comes to playoffs he plays nothing like he does in the regular season, he gets "shaky" and starts letting out more rebounds, all in all more scoring chances. A shutout has to do with how well your whole team does, everyone has to step up to give in momentom, so when Luongo got those shutouts it was because the team stepped up and played their hardest, it wasnt just Luongo on his own. So when you get all this credit... you better fucking play like you deserve it and not let in a whole mouth full of goals in the stanley cup series. So gg Luongo everyone hates you even more, you get payed way too much.
    Last edited by Garbles; 2011-06-19 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    The reason Luongo gets so much criticism, is because he has a past of choking in the playoffs, liiiike the last 2 years they were eliminated by the hawks, another thing is. They think so good of Luongo, everyone says hes the best in the league, and when it comes to playoffs he plays nothing like he does in the regular season, he gets "shaky" and starts letting out more rebounds, all in all more scoring chances. A shutout has to do with how well your whole team does, everyone has to step up to give in momentom, so when Luongo got those shutouts it was because the team stepped up and played their hardest, it wasnt just Luongo on his own. So when you get all this credit... you better fucking play like you deserve it and not let in a whole mouth full of goals in the stanley cup series. So gg Luongo everyone hates you even more, you get payed way too much.
    Lol. I dont even know if I should take you seriously.

Luongo put up the best numbers of his career this season. He played well, his team did not. Sure you can point all the blame towards luongo, but you cant win a series if you score 8 fucking goals the entire series. Nobody has said hes the best in the league (He's one of the best), but he is the best for the Canucks, especially after the goalie graveyard era we went through.

And what credit? Luongo got NO credit this playoff run. Besides the Game 5 bounce-back in the finals and game 5 of the SJ series, he hasn't even been mentioned.

By the way, he didn't choke the past 2 years. The Blackhawks were just that good, and the Canucks defense was shit. When you have a player like Shane Obrien slotting in the 3rd and 2nd pairings, you're not going far.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I don't want to sound like some sort of elitist, but I feel you can't really compare playing in Montreal or Toronto to anywhere else, even in Canada, in regards to the pressure you will face in any other Hockey town, particularly because of the media.
    So true. 3 years of Vesa Toskala made the Leafs look like a joke, when he got shipped off and Gustavsson came in, the media instantly had a change of heart when they saw him play and stopped bitching about the goaltending situation in Toronto. With Giguere out of the picture and Reimer signed for 3 years plus Gustavsson who can be stellar when he is healthy, you won't see a huge amount of criticism from the media here.

It's gotta be worse for Carey Price though, Montreal is a huge market with a good team right now, if he doesn't perform, there is no one to replace him and he has to suffer through it instead of sitting for 5 games while he recovers. They pushed him to something like 72 games this season? By the end of it he looked so worn out that it was no wonder they lost to Boston in the 1st round, though the Bruins played like shit the first few games mind you and Montreal was skating circles around them.

---------- Post added 2011-06-19 at 07:29 PM ----------

Luongo put up the best numbers of his career this season. He played well, his team did not. Sure you can point all the blame towards luongo, but you cant win a series if you score 8 fucking goals the entire series. Nobody has said hes the best in the league (He's one of the best), but he is the best for the Canucks, especially after the goalie graveyard era we went through.

And what credit? Luongo got NO credit this playoff run. Besides the Game 5 bounce-back in the finals and game 5 of the SJ series, he hasn't even been mentioned.

By the way, he didn't choke the past 2 years. The Blackhawks were just that good, and the Canucks defense was shit. When you have a player like Shane Obrien slotting in the 3rd and 2nd pairings, you're not going far.
    Tim Thomas put up the best numbers of his career this year too. Both guys were lights out when they were on their A game that's for sure. There were more then a few games in the playoffs where Thomas played like shit and Boston didn't score much to help him out and honestly that game 2 OT goal against him made me think they were going to lose to Vancouver.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-06-19 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Like i said he does good in the regular season and in the playoffs theres something that just gets in his way and he starts letting up more rebounds, creating more scoring chances against him, etc

10+ Year Old Account

Luongo got no credit because everyone was busy praising the guy who had one great playoff series. Kesler is quality, but he one good series.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 03:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ketzil View Post
    Marchand probably drunk at the parade today being hilariously goofy.

hockey players are the best.
    How drunk he sounded, surprised he remembered what city he played in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    So true. 3 years of Vesa Toskala made the Leafs look like a joke, when he got shipped off and Gustavsson came in, the media instantly had a change of heart when they saw him play and stopped bitching about the goaltending situation in Toronto. With Giguere out of the picture and Reimer signed for 3 years plus Gustavsson who can be stellar when he is healthy, you won't see a huge amount of criticism from the media here.
    Oh, there will be criticism. They'll just bandwagon once they find something else to criticize; Wilson is still an easy target right now. Hopefully we'll get more players like MacArthur this season though, preferably a skilled centre, who will be able to handle pressure in a constructive manner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good news, Detroit fans. Lidstrom has signed one more year. Rafalski, however, is retiring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Good news, Detroit fans. Lidstrom has signed one more year. Rafalski, however, is retiring.
    Welcome to 4 weeks ago >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Welcome to 4 weeks ago >.>
    I assume you mean Rafalski, since Lidstrom is marked as new on nhl.com. I only noticed Rafalski since it is still front page of red wings site.

15+ Year Old Account

Via @drosennhl "Leafs coaching shakeup has Scott Gordon and Greg Cronin in as Ron Wilson's assistants. Keith Acton and Tim Hunter are out."

Still can't believe they're keeping Ron Wilson in place. Leafs have a young team and need a more hands-on coach. Not a dude that's just gonna sit there and frown for 60mins.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-06-20 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Luongo got no credit because everyone was busy praising the guy who had one great playoff series. Kesler is quality, but he one good series.

Well, in a losing cause Kesler was our best player, even with a torn groin and hip labrum. He wasn't the same after game 2 of the SJ series, he was fantastic in the Blackhawk and Predator series.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post

Via @drosennhl "Leafs coaching shakeup has Scott Gordon and Greg Cronin in as Ron Wilson's assistants. Keith Acton and Tim Hunter are out."

Still can't believe they're keeping Ron Wilson in place. Leafs have a young team and need a more hands-on coach. Not a dude that's just gonna sit there and frown for 60mins.
    They need someone like the Edmonton coach imo. But the Leafs were 5 or 6 points out of a play-off spot, if it wasn't for their bad mid-season run they would have made it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    I assume you mean Rafalski, since Lidstrom is marked as new on nhl.com. I only noticed Rafalski since it is still front page of red wings site.
    Ya the Lidstrom announcement is new. It was assumed by most he would be back after the ridiculous year he had this season though.

Love the re-branding of the thread by the way. Go go pre-season and post-post season discussion. First up the Awards show!

Who ya'll got?
    Hart-Perry, he was phenomenal during the voting period
    Norris-Lidstrom
    Vezina-Thomas
    Calder-Skinner
    Byng-Lidstrom
    Selke-Kesler
    Adams-Vigneault even though Bylsma deserves the hell out of that trophy.
    Masterson- Emery
    Pearson-Perry
    GM-Yzerman
    Messier-Lidstrom
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-06-20 at 09:45 PM.