Can't believe Clarkson's contract, unless he puts up 60 pts or more next year i'd call it a failure. Leafs at least will be interesting to watch. Also Jagr playing for the Devils is gonna be awesome.

I bet Jagr scores more pts than Clarkson next year.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Can't believe Clarkson's contract, unless he puts up 60 pts or more next year i'd call it a failure. Leafs at least will be interesting to watch. Also Jagr playing for the Devils is gonna be awesome.

I bet Jagr scores more pts than Clarkson next year.
    Jagr had zero points in the playoffs and wound up getting benched on Boston because he was a liability, and he wasn't even that good last season. His skills are old hat hockey which most teams know how to counter with proper positional play. This isn't the 90's where teams didn't defend (although don't tell that to the Flyers or Pens).

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Jagr had zero points in the playoffs and wound up getting benched on Boston because he was a liability, and he wasn't even that good last season. His skills are old hat hockey which most teams know how to counter with proper positional play. This isn't the 90's where teams didn't defend (although don't tell that to the Flyers or Pens).
    Last year: Jagr had 45 games, 16 goals, 19 assist, 35 pts, minus 2
    Last year: Clarkson had 48 games, 15 goals, 9 assist, 24 pts, minus 6

Also Jagr had 10 assists in 22 games in the playoffs for the Bruins. Clarkson is one of the most overpaid players in the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if it helps, he also did better than Clarkson in 2011-2012. Which was Clarkson's best season ever at 46 points. Jagr had 54 in 7 less games played. I dunno why the Leafs gave him that ridiculous contract, but I guess that's the guy they wanted real bad.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, Kovalcheque was the most overpaid player in the league, but he was a dbag and bailed on his team and his contract. Also, Brad Richards says hi. Must be nice making 6+ million while doing fuck all for your team. 34 points in the regular season, only one goal in the playoffs this year, all for a whopping 6.66 million a year for the next several years. And considering the market for power forwards was literally non existent this off season, it's a deal worth being made if it means improving now. I can live with Clarkson's contract, and so can a lot of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Its so very Maple Leafs that bringing in a 27 year old center who hasn't broken 40 points in 4 years, and put up a whopping 14 last year in 35 games on the best team in the NHL, is going to cost them either a quality young defenseman who they desperately need or a 22 year old center who was on pace for 75+ points last year.
    Well, I like Kadri but "on pace for" is incredibly misleading. The first half of the season Carlyle strategically lined him up with the other teams bottom lines where he was producing goals like crazy. When he started playing the other teams top lines he looked a lot more human.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Last year: Jagr had 45 games, 16 goals, 19 assist, 35 pts, minus 2
    Last year: Clarkson had 48 games, 15 goals, 9 assist, 24 pts, minus 6

Also Jagr had 10 assists in 22 games in the playoffs for the Bruins. Clarkson is one of the most overpaid players in the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if it helps, he also did better than Clarkson in 2011-2012. Which was Clarkson's best season ever at 46 points. Jagr had 54 in 7 less games played. I dunno why the Leafs gave him that ridiculous contract, but I guess that's the guy they wanted real bad.
    But Clarkson did do better in the playoffs where Jagr faced Marc Andre Floppy and then got beat by Clarkson's team.

10+ Year Old Account
    2012 playoffs; Clarkson 0.5ppg, Jagr 0.73ppg. Who performed better? You forgot to mention that Clarkson met Theodore/Clemensen (arguably one of the worst goaltending tandems in the league) and Ilya "Humongous Big" Bryzgalov afterwards. Only managed 4 points more in twice as many games.

Jagr at age 40 was more efficient point production wise than a 29 year old power forward playing on the first line.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Jagr had zero goals in the playoffs, but he had 10 points. He really wasn't that big of a liability, it's more that he wasn't a great fit in our system at all. In the right system, he can still be a good player. He's strong on the puck, and great at controlling play along the boards. He's slow is the main point, but he makes up for it with his play along the boards and puck possession. I'd rather have Jagr for 4/year than Clarkson for 5.25/year myself. Clarkson would be a much better fit on the Bruins than Jagr was, but 5.25 is too much for him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Detroit Red Wings to retire Lidstrom's number. anyone suprised? no? good answer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Detroit Red Wings to retire Lidstrom's number. anyone suprised? no? good answer.
    Goes to Stubhub. Lowest ticket price is $97 roughly 300% of the normal price. That was damn quick unless they released the date earlier than today. Speaking of which, why the hell are they waiting until March?

Deleted
    Would have been a scandal if they hadn't. Then again it's the Wings, who can generally be trusted to do the right thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Goes to Stubhub. Lowest ticket price is $97 roughly 300% of the normal price. That was damn quick unless they released the date earlier than today. Speaking of which, why the hell are they waiting until March?
    they probably had to plot it around Lidstrom's schedule or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    Would have been a scandal if they hadn't. Then again it's the Wings, who can generally be trusted to do the right thing.
    it is also the Wings, who it takes quite a bit to get your number retired. for example, i don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg are going to have there numbers retired. but i could get suprised.

Deleted
    it is also the Wings, who it takes quite a bit to get your number retired. for example, i don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg are going to have there numbers retired. but i could get suprised.
    As of right now I'd think Datsyuk may be a candidate, Zetterberg not so much. Don't get me wrong, he is really good, but not on the once-a-generation-talent that Datsyuk or Lidström operated on.

Also at least you're not the Canucks who took how many years to retire Bure's number? Eight?

15+ Year Old Account
    As of right now I'd think Datsyuk may be a candidate, Zetterberg not so much. Don't get me wrong, he is really good, but not on the once-a-generation-talent that Datsyuk or Lidström operated on.

Also at least you're not the Canucks who took how many years to retire Bure's number? Eight?
    8 years to retire Bure's number? thats friggen sad. yet another reason to hate the Canucks.

Datsyuk will definitely get his number retired. Not immediately, but it'll happen.
    Zetterberg I think will as well, being both Captain of the team and receiving Conn Smythe.

As for Bure, that guy was my favourite player growing up and actually cheered for Vancouver when he was there (in retrospect, with the overall attitude of the Vancouver fanbase, I'm glad Rangers won the cup). Unfortunate the way the Canucks treat some of their greats.

I wish $97 sounded expensive. ><

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Datsyuk will definitely get his number retired. Not immediately, but it'll happen.
    Zetterberg I think will as well, being both Captain of the team and receiving Conn Smythe.

As for Bure, that guy was my favourite player growing up and actually cheered for Vancouver when he was there (in retrospect, with the overall attitude of the Vancouver fanbase, I'm glad Rangers won the cup). Unfortunate the way the Canucks treat some of their greats.

I wish $97 sounded expensive. ><
    i wish i was as confident as you non red wings fans about datsyuk getting his number retired but i just do not know.

i mean, for gods sake, Federov didnt get his number retired.

Vladdy didnt get his number (officially) retired. its out of circulation, and odds are no one will ever where it again in Detroit, but Retired? nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Kings hired Sean O'Donnell to a front office job, I like that he is back, he was always one of my favorite players because he beat the shit out of people I didn't like

Speaking of favorite players, I hope they retire Vladdy's number some day, nobody will ever wear it, why not make it official?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The Kings hired Sean O'Donnell to a front office job, I like that he is back, he was always one of my favorite players because he beat the shit out of people I didn't like

Speaking of favorite players, I hope they retire Vladdy's number some day, nobody will ever wear it, why not make it official?
    i honestly don't know. but i agree, they might as well make it official. no one, whatsoever, will take that number, no matter who they are or how good they are, out of respect for Vladdy.

Sorry I was confusing number retired with being honoured (though, not sure exactly how it's done in Detroit). I still think Datsyuk will get his number retired, Zetterberg will probably get his jersey honoured.

10+ Year Old Account
    Captains usually have a better chance of having their number retired

15+ Year Old Account
    i wish i was as confident as you non red wings fans about datsyuk getting his number retired but i just do not know.

i mean, for gods sake, Federov didnt get his number retired.

Vladdy didnt get his number (officially) retired. its out of circulation, and odds are no one will ever where it again in Detroit, but Retired? nope.
    Well Feds didn't get his retired for off ice reasons, not on ice ones. I am a proponent of retiring Fedorov's number just because after Yzerman, that guy was the biggest reason for the franchises turn around in the 90s. Hell the guy switched to playing defense one year to help the team. After Datsyuk, I don't know if I ever watched someone as dynamic as Fedorov. I can remember watching his 5 goal game when I was a kid on a little shitty black and white tv I would watch every Wings game on at night. I suspect that someday if Illitch and him can settle their beef his number will be retired. If not, well no one is going to where 91 again just like no one is going to where 16 again. I sincerely hope they put in some kind of ring of honor thing in the new arena and add Feds, McCarty, Draper, Vlad, and Ozzie. Those guys meant an absolute ton to the franchise. (You could even talk me into retiring Osgood's number officially).
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-08-02 at 11:07 AM.