little hunter help please

a guy in my guild is stacked mastery / haste ( mm hunter ). i suggested he stacked crit instead so he made some changes and did 2 tests on a boss dummy. he reported a loss of 800 dps when he went crit. i simply cant explane the loss in dps. acording to simple math he should have had a gain of 1k dps.

maybe you guys can point out what i missed

his armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...bshanks/simple

Dummy testing has never been viable. Run 1 raid and see the results(Since he is missing a ton of buffs, including ranged haste)

I suspect because he was testing on a dummy Carefull Aim would have been inflating his crit rate already therefore making any extra crit seem less valuable than it actually would in a real world scenario.

welp i know he blames me for costing him money, and is refusing to answer any more of my questions to try to figure the situation out. he dosnt want help and went back to mastery / haste so i gues ill leave him alone. i know for a fact crit is better than those and i have no idea what his rotation buff setup is since he wont respond anymore.

i told him to go to elitist jerks and look at the guide but he wont. nothing i can do for people that wont help themselfs.

Quote Originally Posted by meliancill View Post
    a guy in my guild is stacked mastery / haste ( mm hunter ). i suggested he stacked crit instead so he made some changes and did 2 tests on a boss dummy. he reported a loss of 800 dps when he went crit. i simply cant explane the loss in dps. acording to simple math he should have had a gain of 1k dps.

maybe you guys can point out what i missed
    First glance: looks like your friend reforged off his hit, he's way off the cap! Will update with more as I check more stats.

Actually, besides that I don't have too much to say. I'm guessing most of the difference was RNG. He may have reforged too much haste into crit. By the way, to prevent unnecessary reforging in the future, tell him to use this: femaledwarf.com

It's a great tool that can be used to see if an item/talent/reforge is an upgrade or not.
    Last edited by HonneurVilified; 2011-04-14 at 06:50 AM.

Deleted
    first of all 2 tests on a dummy aint enough. you need at least 10 tests of at least 5 min.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalti View Post
    I suspect because he was testing on a dummy Carefull Aim would have been inflating his crit rate already therefore making any extra crit seem less valuable than it actually would in a real world scenario.
    this is so treu. and making going on a dummy for hunters not reliable at all.

looking at his stats he aint hitcapped. you need 8% nothing less. http://reforgecalc.de/, this is a site that does it for you.
    those +10all stats, mastery and haste gems are totally useless. you wanna go for agility or for the legs 20agi/20crit.
    i hope that his SV spec is for pvp (funny though that silencing shot glyph) http://www.arenajunkies.com/ he might wanna go here to give it a better look.
    MM spec is just sloppy not really thought over well.
    i dont know you raid setup but if you got 2 palladins or 1 palladin and a druid you just don't need treushot aura.
    one with nature you always go for 3 points not 2. indeed http://femaledwarf.com/ can help with that.

im stopping here if he wants to listen/read this forum i hope he takes the advice. and starts to ask stuff to improve.

There is so much wrong here it's just not worth it. The only way I'd take another players information is if I were getting beat on the meters by a large scale, so please show him up. This guy maybe does 13-14k I bet, on non heavy movement fights.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to help him if he's unwilling to even listen. My hunter doesn't have 4 piece yet but mostly epics and at least I know how to gear/itemize my characters.

Quote Originally Posted by meliancill View Post
    i told him to go to elitist jerks and look at the guide but he wont. nothing i can do for people that wont help themselfs.
    well, I as a hunter hear someone say to check out elitist jerks for 'correct' rotation/stat set-up, and I imedately /ignore them. First off back in the day (BC) I was MM, when MM was the 'pvp' spec and was toping the meters. Then went into BM (was doing less dps even when BM was buffed or whatever). Then when survival was the big thing in Wrath (before the MM buffs), I was told to try all specs with the guilds 'best hunters' rotation (better gear'd huntard) and I did... each spec for a week, the results were MM was higher then BM and BM was a full 1.5k dps higher then survival (using his rotation and gem setup and enchants.... just in worse gear).

Well after that I went back to MM and a week later was told that 'you should be doing more dps'...and then next day was kicked from the guild. then apparently the guild master left the server...

So what I guess I'm sayin' is, you should be having fun with what you are doing, and not listening to people who either don't know what they are talking about or don't know what you are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    Lorewise... how is it possible for a rogue or a warrior to res someone? A hunter ressing a feral druid I can understand but.. eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Crusade View Post
    Clearly the rogue stabs them with a poison that revives, and the warrior yells at them until they get up.

romobama, their isnt a question about stats and spec this expantion. you dont have much to interprit. agil is king with crit being second for every spec for every hunter.

no question, no debate. as has ben said many times this person isnt doing anything ( ANYTHING ) to help himself get better. he is pulling 12-14k dps ( you called it jeffari ) and is the number 2 dps in the guild ( im probably going to leave it since this is quite telling and i joined 2 days ago ).

i understand what you are saying about playing for fun, but in raids you are their for the purppose of doing dps, why bring some one who does 15k dps but has fun, when i can bring the guy who does 20k and has an offspec that he plays for fun.

at the end of the day if you want to raid you need to do it propperly and that inclueds min/maxing your toon for thaty purpos and if that means playing mm in a sertain spec with glyphs and rotation you may not quite like, then thats what you have to do. thats why dual tallent specs exist, if you dont want to play with what the raid requires thats fine dual tallent and play your way when you are not in raids. but dont bitch if the gm kickes you out for refusing to raid the way they require.

this person isnt doing what is required ( and the entire guild now that i look at it ) to maximise their dps output. i wont stay in the guild, and i wont help people who wont try to help themselfs and plays the childish games ( silent game ) the ( ha i was right you were wrong ) game when he didnt even test it propperly.
    Last edited by meliancill; 2011-04-14 at 04:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romobama View Post
    well, I as a hunter hear someone say to check out elitist jerks for 'correct' rotation/stat set-up, and I imedately /ignore them. First off back in the day (BC) I was MM, when MM was the 'pvp' spec and was toping the meters. Then went into BM (was doing less dps even when BM was buffed or whatever). Then when survival was the big thing in Wrath (before the MM buffs), I was told to try all specs with the guilds 'best hunters' rotation (better gear'd huntard) and I did... each spec for a week, the results were MM was higher then BM and BM was a full 1.5k dps higher then survival (using his rotation and gem setup and enchants.... just in worse gear).

Well after that I went back to MM and a week later was told that 'you should be doing more dps'...and then next day was kicked from the guild. then apparently the guild master left the server...

So what I guess I'm sayin' is, you should be having fun with what you are doing, and not listening to people who either don't know what they are talking about or don't know what you are doing.
    The plural of anecdote isn't facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Romobama View Post

If you were MM during any content other than sunwell in BC you were nerfing yourself. BM wasn't hard to play. You spammed your 3:2 macro the whole fight. If you did more dps as MM your macro was wrong for bm. Period. Survival was never the big thing in wrath. It dominated the first arena season because explosive had its chance to stun each tick and after the fixed the scorpid poison bug it was top for about 5 weeks at the end of Naxx/beginning of Ulduar until you got an ilvl 226 weapon. Comparing yourself to other people that are also playing bad isn't a good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by refire View Post
    If you were MM during any content other than sunwell in BC you were nerfing yourself. BM wasn't hard to play. You spammed your 3:2 macro the whole fight. If you did more dps as MM your macro was wrong for bm. Period. Survival was never the big thing in wrath. It dominated the first arena season because explosive had its chance to stun each tick and after the fixed the scorpid poison bug it was top for about 5 weeks at the end of Naxx/beginning of Ulduar until you got an ilvl 226 weapon. Comparing yourself to other people that are also playing bad isn't a good comparison.
    Survival was very viable after 3.08 during wrath until you started approaching the arm pen cap, which is when mm clearly came out ahead.

The +10 Gem to all stats in his Hand slot needs to go, i would put 40 agil in it

his Leg enchant should be the crit one not the one he has on

His shoulders have 20 mastery/30 stamina gem in them, anything else would be better

Personally, i would have the 54 agility meta socket

And he does realize that Agility effects your crit rating...... i hope

Hey OP.

Point you friend to this thread, tell him it's about his char. If he looks at this thread and dosen't take everything onboard or at least try to.
    You don't want him in your guild anyways tbh. A full page of hunters telling him that he is bad, should really hit home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalti View Post
    Ding ding ding. This is exactly why, pretty much every single Aimed Shot and Steady Shot were already critting.