Should I try to convince my dad to go back to college?

I just recently learned that my father has always wanted to be an architect. I learned that he designed my old house that I lived in when I was a kid, my aunt's house, and he helped my grandfather design his house. He took 4 years of an architecture class in high school, and then he went to community college for a few months, studying architecture. He made a mistake here. He decided to drop out and become a brick layer under my grandfather's business, and he gave up his dream. He told me that he regrets it a lot.

Being a brick layer, he doesn't make a whole lot of money. I'm not sure if I should try to convince him to go back to community college so late. He's in his mid-forties now, and I don't know anything about architecture or how much money architects make. Maybe it wouldn't be any better than being a brick layer, so I'm wondering if anybody here has any idea of what I should try to do. Should I try to convince him? Would it be worth it? Or should I just let it be? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not really sure what I should say.

Deleted
    i would say yes. he might even be able to start from where he left off.he still has time. if he can afford to pay his studies why not?
    Mom started Psychology in her thirties ( just because she wished for higher education, bookworm mom i have)
    lifelong dream> any sum of money
    but that's only my opinion
    Last edited by mmocb2d4e83f73; 2011-04-16 at 04:54 PM. Reason: because i'm awesome

I would say encourage - but don't set your heart on convincing him. Do some research as far as cost of school, how much they make when they finish school, what the day-to-day life of a beginning architect is like. If it seems financially feasible and like something he would enjoy doing, then I don't see why he shouldn't.

He should try it. The only problem is that many employers look for younger employees, but there are exceptions.

Hey, I think that's really sweet that you care about your father's aspirations. =) Like someone else said, just encourage it. Tell him it's never too late to start. I bet if you positively reinforce the idea often he'll want to do it.

Thanks guys. I was thinking I should try to get him to go. Now I think I probably will. =) Hopefully he'll get to do what he wants to do for once.