Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 performance vs 2010 model?

First off please "macs arent made for gaming" posts. I know, but I bought a mac for work purposes with gaming on the side so it fits my needs.

I have the 2010 i7 2.67 ghz model of the 15" macbook pro and I usually get fair fps pretty much everywhere, but it lags a lot.

Heard the new generation of intel core processors and the ATI HD 6750M really give the current model a huge performance boost. My friend tells me specifically for WoW, he bought the 2011 model and noticed like a 20-30 fps performance boost(he has the lower end 2010 15" model).

I think I'm returning from a break from wow for the summer, and I kind of want the newer model. Is the performance boost worth selling my current macbook pro and getting the 2011 15" macbook pro model(with the difference being only around~$300)? Call me crazy, but if the performance is huge all around the board, I think its a good buy. What do you think?

On paper the 2011 MBP is massively faster in WoW and all other games (as long as you take the Radeon 6750 version, not the garbage 6490), but the reports of build quality as well as initial overheating problems is something I definitely would not want from a so-called upgrade. You're better off getting desktop PC for WoW and other games, and keep the current laptop for work and skip whole 2011 generation.

To run WoW faster, drop settings, especially shadow quality and multisampling. Those are poison for low spec hardware.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i hav 2009 13" version and almost never lags and have nice FPS, don't play on the highest setting though...
    anyways get 13", as the screen is smaller the processor is able to give much better results

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Deleted
    The 2010 series of MBPs used two well known 'fake' i7 processors - the 620m (yours) and 640m, processors that should've gone under the i5 nickname. As the current generation actually uses true i7 processors, it leads to some quite significant performance upgrades from both getting more powerfull processors, and from the typical generation upgrade. They should be even greater outside of WoW in situations where full 4-8 threading can be utilized.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-04-18 at 01:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The initial overheating problems were resolved soon after with an update.

But yeah, this year mbp's where a disappointment imo, the only decent gfx card is the 6750 and that's just what they are, decent, they aren't even good, and for 2500 euros i would like more than decent.... the 6490's are barely better than the on board intel HD 3000 that comes with those sandy bridge.

Are they better than the 2010 model... well, they better be, but they won't be way better, unless you are comparing the lowest-end model from 2010 with a mid/high-end from 2011, then it's obvious it will be way better.

edit:. remembered something else because of the post before mine...

another thing that was a disappointment was the i7's on the first 2011 models, dual-core i7's?!?!?! wtf is that
    Last edited by m4xc4v413r4; 2011-04-18 at 02:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerikanec View Post
    i hav 2009 13" version and almost never lags and have nice FPS, don't play on the highest setting though...
    anyways get 13", as the screen is smaller the processor is able to give much better results
    Resolution and GPU mostly determines FPS. The 13 incher has a pretty lame GPU, so getting the 15 incher would be a better choice, and as Vesseblah said, the Radeon 6750 is the GPU we're after (and it's only in the most expensive MBP's) here while the Radeon 6490 just is a kick in the nuts delivered by apple.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    The 2010 series of MBPs used two well known 'fake' i7 processors - the 620m (yours) and 640m, processors that should've gone under the i5 nickname. As the current generation actually uses true i7 processors, it leads to some quite significant performance upgrades from both getting more powerfull processors, and from the typical generation upgrade. They should be even greater outside of WoW in situations where full 4-8 threading can be utilized.
    I see, thank you guys for the helpful info. I'm willing to dish out several hundred dollars when I sell my current model to split the difference for the newer one then. Could this model handle future games for the next couple of years? Also do you guys recommend running WoW in boot camp on a windows 7 platform? I have heard many people say wow isn't as good on a mac port so that is the better way to go.

---------- Post added 2011-04-18 at 07:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by M4xC4v413r4 View Post
    The initial overheating problems were resolved soon after with an update.

But yeah, this year mbp's where a disappointment imo, the only decent gfx card is the 6750 and that's just what they are, decent, they aren't even good, and for 2500 euros i would like more than decent.... the 6490's are barely better than the on board intel HD 3000 that comes with those sandy bridge.

Are they better than the 2010 model... well, they better be, but they won't be way better, unless you are comparing the lowest-end model from 2010 with a mid/high-end from 2011, then it's obvious it will be way better.

edit:. remembered something else because of the post before mine...

another thing that was a disappointment was the i7's on the first 2011 models, dual-core i7's?!?!?! wtf is that
    Yea but now they are quad core, and hey the 6750m imo is a pretty decent card. It's middle class but its high middle class, I've seen some videos on youtube running it natively one guy was getting 30 fps another 60-70 all around the board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apav11 View Post
    Yea but now they are quad core, and hey the 6750m imo is a pretty decent card. It's middle class but its high middle class, I've seen some videos on youtube running it natively one guy was getting 30 fps another 60-70 all around the board.
    I have a Mobility Radeon HD 5650 in my laptop and can witness that these things can achieve great things.. mostly. The 6750 runs at higher clock speed and has 80 additional shader processors compared to the 5650, so it should perform pretty good at close to ultra settings in WoW.

2500 Euro doesn't buy you a laptop with a middle class GPU normally. But we have to face it that in Apple's case we pay for portability, slim form factor, aluminium instead of plastic, and probably a little extra for them to make great profits.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-04-18 at 02:21 PM.

It would be $2000 for me (student discount!). How much do you think I could get off the 2010 2.67 i7 model if I sold it? Its in great condition, I'm just wondering how much it depreciated. I think the performance is very noticeable so much that several hundred more dollars will last me for a few more years of gaming while the 330m is failing to run the most recent games.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    It would be $2000 for me (student discount!). How much do you think I could get off the 2010 2.67 i7 model if I sold it? Its in great condition, I'm just wondering how much it depreciated. I think the performance is very noticeable so much that several hundred more dollars will last me for a few more years of gaming while the 330m is failing to run the most recent games.
    Knowing Apple hardware, chances are it hasn't depreciated that much if it still works mostly fine.

Bound to find a student in need of a MacBook for school, especially with all these stupid design schools making having an Apple machine mandatory. What a crock of shit that is.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    On paper the 2011 MBP is massively faster in WoW and all other games (as long as you take the Radeon 6750 version, not the garbage 6490), but the reports of build quality as well as initial overheating problems is something I definitely would not want from a so-called upgrade. You're better off getting desktop PC for WoW and other games, and keep the current laptop for work and skip whole 2011 generation.

To run WoW faster, drop settings, especially shadow quality and multisampling. Those are poison for low spec hardware.
    Overheating is not a surprise (lol @ post saying a software update fixes it). The old MBP was a pretty hot running machine when loaded and the new models have a CPU and GPU with even higher TDP. OTH you do get much more power out of the CPU, it's just that there's very little thermal headroom to begin with going from last year to this years model.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Knowing Apple hardware, chances are it hasn't depreciated that much if it still works mostly fine.

Bound to find a student in need of a MacBook for school, especially with all these stupid design schools making having an Apple machine mandatory. What a crock of shit that is.
    Thank you for this. So I payed $2000 for this model($200 student discount) so what is it going for ~1500 or so at this moment?

Thank you for this. So I payed $2000 for this model($200 student discount) so what is it going for ~1500 or so at this moment?
    You could probably get 1500$, if you try for a bit. You'd have to luck out with another person who craves the Apple gear like you do though. I'd never buy an overpriced mac, especially an older one, but you may luck out.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    You could sell it this week if you listed it for $1250. Guaranteed. I bet they would tip you more too and go THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    red panda red panda red panda!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    First off please "macs arent made for gaming" posts. I know, but I bought a mac for work purposes with gaming on the side so it fits my needs.

I have the 2010 i7 2.67 ghz model of the 15" macbook pro and I usually get fair fps pretty much everywhere, but it lags a lot.

Heard the new generation of intel core processors and the ATI HD 6750M really give the current model a huge performance boost. My friend tells me specifically for WoW, he bought the 2011 model and noticed like a 20-30 fps performance boost(he has the lower end 2010 15" model).

I think I'm returning from a break from wow for the summer, and I kind of want the newer model. Is the performance boost worth selling my current macbook pro and getting the 2011 15" macbook pro model(with the difference being only around~$300)? Call me crazy, but if the performance is huge all around the board, I think its a good buy. What do you think?
    Are you lagging or are you dropping FPS, there is a difference. A new graphics card will do little to nothing for lag but will improve FPS.

for $300 I could buy a second graphics card for my comp and a few other things and I would be able to play anything on the market at top settings. I'm also a bit of a mac hater so personally no I don't think its worth the price. I left my mac because I couldn't upgrade it I also don't understand the "luxury" justifies the cost of the whole mac thing when my computer is a pc cost half as much and is quiet "luxurious". Sorry not trying to flame ya, I know some people are die hard mac lovers but I can't begin to justify the cost of their hardware.

For $1500 you could make a PC with 2 nvidia gtx 5xx graphics cards with 12 gigs of ram, a TB HDD, a killer2100 network card, a sweet mother board and a nice i7 processor. You would be able to play anything on the market at top settings EASY and your comp would be top of the line for at least the next 18months
    Last edited by Clouce; 2011-04-18 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouce View Post
    Are you lagging or are you dropping FPS, there is a difference. A new graphics card will do little to nothing for lag but will improve FPS.

for $300 I could buy a second graphics card for my comp and a few other things and I would be able to play anything on the market at top settings. I'm also a bit of a mac hater so personally no I don't think its worth the price. I left my mac because I couldn't upgrade it I also don't understand the "luxury" justifies the cost of the whole mac thing when my computer is a pc cost half as much and is quiet "luxurious". Sorry not trying to flame ya, I know some people are die hard mac lovers but I can't begin to justify the cost of their hardware.
    I realize this, but unfortunately, I need a mac for school purposes, so I need to live with the decent gaming experience on a mac. And by lag I just meant like it freezes for a second sometimes, refreshes, and repeats.

---------- Post added 2011-04-18 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    You could sell it this week if you listed it for $1250. Guaranteed. I bet they would tip you more too and go THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    Thanks! I'm looking to sell it for around $1500 if that seems decent, im gonna put it up on craigslist, ebay and amazon. Its in perfect condition and comes with everything all in box. The only flaw is thats its been used for almost a year now.

I have a 2010 MBP running WoW and it's a champ. I noticed the overheating problems but I purchased a Targus notebook chill mat and it keeps it at decent temp and allows for you to comfortably have it on your lap if thats your style.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Chill-A...uct/B002NU5O9C

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I realize this, but unfortunately, I need a mac for school purposes, so I need to live with the decent gaming experience on a mac. And by lag I just meant like it freezes for a second sometimes, refreshes, and repeats.

---------- Post added 2011-04-18 at 03:17 PM ----------

Thanks! I'm looking to sell it for around $1500 if that seems decent, im gonna put it up on craigslist, ebay and amazon. Its in perfect condition and comes with everything all in box. The only flaw is thats its been used for almost a year now.
    That sounds like FPS drop and that would be because of your hardware. Personally I shouldn't say I hate mac, they have there place, I'm working on mine atm trying to get it working again. If I had to have a mac and planned on using it for work/school I would buy as cheap a one as I could and use it as my work horse and use my PC as my game station, basically what I'm trying to do now but I have a dead iMac that I can't get the disk out of for the life of me....

Someone just offered me a quick cash in hand sale for $1300.. worth it or should I keep looking for better offers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I love mine, I think mine is a 2009 model, 15". I recently upgraded the Hard Drive with a 750Gb which is awesome for my Apple TV. It is a great computer for school and runs WoW great on the lowest possible settings (excluding view distance). I would say that I wish the price was lower, I love the design of it, how compact and stable it all works. The downside is that until Apple puts in their A4 processors in the MacBook Pros, starting with the next generation due to contractual constraints they will be unable to put nVidia GPUs in their laptops and many of them will have intel integrated GPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.