Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

Done tanking - before i started. Lesson learned.

So i have 5 toons. 1 Shadowpriest, which i just quit raiding with because i got a little daughter. 1 sp i had as 10 man backup, 1 healer shaman, 1 lock and 1 arms warrior.

With my little time left for playing, now im a father, i decided to turn my warrior into a tank, so i could get instant HC. I dont have the time to wait 30 mins on my dps chars and i liked tanking in tbc and wotlk. Im usually the patient type and i havent joined pugs alot, but played with guildies. knowing all tacs to everything ofc.

I got my offspec gear ready (mostly 346 with some pics from guild runs as arms) gemmed and enchanted. I actually got a really great prot out of it.

I qeued up and instantly got Tol´Vir. The pally healer was a bit annoying but had no trouble keeping me up. The dps was shitty. 5-6k all of them. all dps died during first boss, but we didnt wipe as me and the healer scrached from 40 % ourselves. At this point noone cc anything, so i held all trash without anyone dying.

At 2nd boss (the croc) i had to gather adds and tank the boss.

The dps didnt run to me with adds.

I tried to run to the without getting hit in the back. Dps didnt touch adds so i was standing with 20 adds and alot running around. Offcause we wiped.

As we ran in the healer and hunter called me "a fucking retard" Why i couldnt tank and hold the adds.

Now i know the tac. i held all the adds i could, but boss focusing 5k dps has no place in calling ME a retard. So this nerd rage from someone - unenchanted, ungemmed and useless dps hunter who DIDNT know the tac, made me realise, tanking in pugs wont happen again.

Thx hunter - you just lost the pug pool a tank. ill never tank a pug again. its reserved for my guildies who gets smooth runs now.
    Last edited by mmocd344c38da9; 2011-04-18 at 11:58 AM.

I feel with you, I too never tank for PUGs, it is just too damned annoying with all the underachievers and idiots you meet.

Pretty much why I quit tanking as well. And no amount of goodie bags is going to fix the main problem with LFD PuGs.

Deleted
    I usually only get idiots 1 out of 6 times, which still makes it worthwhile for me to keep tanking on both my druid and my paladin.

I had actually considered making my paladin a tank, but then in leveling I realized that if I'm mainly running heroics, my job is to fight against the idiocy that is the pugs in a very direct way instead of the usual compensating with dps or heals.

fuck that

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I usually only get idiots 1 out of 6 times, which still makes it worthwhile for me to keep tanking on both my druid and my paladin.
    damn, I wish I had your luck!
    I get idiots every 2 or 3 runs i do. usually fixed by replacing them but every now and then you get 3 dps from one guild. Those groups make me stop tanking. guilds without tanks make my cry and usually are the worst you can meet in a pug.

Got into this situations almost every pug so i two stopped tanking them.

Solution? Bring crabby back! Srsly get him live asap...
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet.

Sorry for you but welcome in the world of tanks (sadly), who are grieffed all along by braindead retards and are supposed to make it up to 2/3 total tools in pretty much every instance (except the 1 or 2 on 10 where it's so easy with everyone doing more than fine you have a hard time believing it ).

You just discovered why most tanks have stopped using the LFD or do so by queuing with 2 or more people they know, so they can manage carrying the nightmare that dps are (it's the same in most guild runs around, except the bad fuckers shut their mouth because they know they will be kept accountable for their behaviour otherwise.... and the worst ones aren't taken in guild runs anyway so they only have the lfd left, like the ones who don't play at the same time than most of their guild ).

Sad state of affairs, but it won't change soon.

Deleted
    I reached level 85 second day after release.I was gathering gear to reach the level requirement for heroics.
    5 other guildies reached 85 almost same time with me and one of them was a tank.And he got the level requirement one hour faster than me.Therefore their group was formed. So i had to pug. It was hell! .But i did it, and i geared up just as fast as the other tank.
    Yea its full of idiots out there.So what? /ignore or just ignore them. Do ur job, scream at them , tell them what to do, mark cc targets, explain tactics before each boss if you have to. Be the better player, and prove it. And stop goddamn whinning.

True tanks dont quit.

Deleted
    Sorry to hear you reacted so badly to this, shame to have to tell you but this "hunter" (and yes its in inverted comma's because if he was as bad as you say, then I hate seeing bad hunter's) accounts for 75% of the player base. I usually put the person in their place by cold hard logic and either boot them and carry on, or abuse them for the rest of the heroic. But I can be very obnoxious if i choose to be, call it a failing or a blessing I don't care which. There is no excuse for not pulling your weight, its a team game not an "I carry fools willingly" one, any player like that will be made a fool out of by me and they damn well deserve it
    Edit: Congratulations on becoming a father, use heroics to learn how to deal with kids lol
    Last edited by mmocd0a92c5d08; 2011-04-18 at 11:52 AM.

Cmon, don't give up so fast. You just had bad luck.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    my main is a prot pala i've now stoped doing random heroics due to the amount of pug fails, i've now got my warrior heroic fury geared, i still find plenty of fail dps in the grps though. i now enjoy my role of melee dps and it also means i dont mind waiting in that 30 min queue for my random

Deleted
    1 bad run does not make the whole community retards.

Yes, bad runs do happen. But, contrary to popular belief, they are the rarity. You just hear about horror stories more often because no-one gives a shit that your RHC today was completely average.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShagratQT View Post

True tanks dont quit.

True, we tank for our guild only

/brofist

Quote Originally Posted by Rockmahparty View Post
    True, we tank for our guild only

/brofist
    this

and once in a while we make the mistake of pugging again and do only guild runs for weeks again.

Some people like doing everything WITHOUT the things that make it easier - like silences, interrupts, cc and the use of certain boss mechanics.

I like to tank pugs. It toughens me up and makes my skin as thick as my armour. Having to deal with idiots every day means i get experience with the worst scenarios possible. Which makes me into a better tank - rather than feather step my way around with guild mates who never make a mistake. Running a pug as a tank makes you always aware and ready for when things go wrong - because they always go wrong in a pug.

10+ Year Old Account
    One bad experience is all it takes? Good lord. No wonder we have so few tanks. Can tank Deathwing but can't tank a misplaced insult from an individual who obviously doesn't know what they're doing. Irony.

sticking every one into heroics, good players and bad, was just a complete mistake from the start. in BC you never saw the bad players in heroics, they geared up in normals then went right to karazhan. heroics were reserved for the hardcore guys who wanted the challenge. the only reason mixing people into heroics at the end of wrath worked was because most people outgeared them by two tiers and by then they were easier than normal runs.

Tanking has changed. Sorry, but you have to earn your instant queue - making a tanking spec and putting together some gear does not make you a tank. You're just wasting 3 DPS' 30 minute queues on your whim because you want an instant queue. You may have tanked before, but I don't think running a heroic as your first Cataclysm tanking experience was a good idea. Besides, if they were doing 5-6k dps, why would you have any problem holding aggro?

So one bad random makes you quit as a tank? I thank you for leaving tanking..because it obvious you weren't ready for it in the first place.