Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I know it's fun to b1tch about something but please..your post is full of non-sense.. ..if you don't know anything about game, don't comment it.

It's true that OP post may confuse some people. Elementalist can't use "all specs" in combat.. he just can use all Elements .. difference between WoW mage and GW2 Elementalist is that Mage is specing into one element while Elementalist is specializing into each element and can use them in combat but each player can be specialized in each element differently (by weapon choices and different traits)

And of course there is small scale PvP ... and believe me... GW2 will have more RPG elements than WoW will ever have.
    Like I said, I'm not going to bash the game before seeing it. The point the OP made just sounded very negative for me. Being able to play all speccs at the same time is bad and everything being handed to you. Godmode and no choices ruins every game as the game loses it's point then.
    And I didn't misunderstand the OP either, he compared it very clearly with WoW, just read it yourself, theres no other way to understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Like I said, I'm not going to bash the game before seeing it. The point the OP made just sounded very negative for me. Being able to play all speccs at the same time is bad and everything being handed to you. Godmode and no choices ruins every game as the game loses it's point then.
    And I didn't misunderstand the OP either, he compared it very clearly with WoW, just read it yourself, theres no other way to understand it.
    Ok..I have to agree with you. What OP said is not true at all..at least part with elementalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    No matter how many "different unique sets of skills that make it skill based and define player skill depending on which ones you choose" there are, there will be a clear-cut best and anyone who's worth a damn will be using that spec. Just like every other MMO.
    That's absolutely incorrect. Using the same skill set can get you through the game, but you need to adapt to certain situations. Your 55 Monk might be good for farming Trolls, but you're not going to be able to take that to the Underworld. Take a look at this, it's a list of all the best builds for PvE play right now: http://www.gwpvx.com/Category:All_working_PvE_builds This website is maintained by elitist pricks who have zero tolerance for anything that isn't crushing or defining the current metagame.

So, in summation, there is metagame, and flavor of the month, but there is never, and will never, be ONE best spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    1.Where does it say anything about former bliz employees?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arenanet

Paragraph 2: The founders of ArenaNet were former employees of Blizzard Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    After a while everyone will know exactly what is needed to 'dodge' ranged attacks, making ranged classes/ability's kinda obsolete.
    It's already been acknowledged by the devs. Dodging will take energy just like casting a spell, and it will interrupt your current action. That means players will have to make a choice: can they afford the energy? Can they afford NOT to get this spell off? Maybe I'd better just take this one...

Also, melee stuff will be dodgable as well.
    Last edited by DeanyKong; 2011-04-19 at 04:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    To paraphrase(Because I don't remember it exactly) Liquid'Tyler(Of SC2):
    "You have an amazing game in front of you...why not enjoy it instead of trying to be a game developer?"
    I love you.

I agree completely, but it's been becoming more and more of a problem recently. 10 years ago, balance complaints were FAR less common. Now, everyone has to have every tool in the game or the game is broken.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castia View Post
    God this guy...

Your so fast to try and flame GW2 yet feel the need to protect SW:TOR like its a member of your own family if someone criticizes it. (hence the x million amount of TOR threads you have started and participated in)
    Excuse me? I have started only ONE thread on SWTOR. I defend the game when people say outlandish things about it, yes. I do not go into GW2 threads and flame. I've said multiple times that I want to play GW2 and I want to know more info on it.

Don't blast me if you don't know what you are talking about or confusing me with someone else.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-04-19 at 04:05 PM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Right now I'm looking for a different setting for my MMO and SWTOR is filling that spot...Swords and Sorcery are just wearing thin for me, but GW2 won't be out till next year so who knows maybe by that time i'll be ready to add a fantasy game back to my line up and since it has no subscription i definitely can see myself playing both SWTOR and GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Credoo View Post
    This smells so mutch like a GW2 employee made a fake account just to post this shit.
    A GW2 employee that made an account a few months ago and has posted a lot since then? Smells like you're too paranoid.

#1 Meh, visuals are in the eye of the beholder.

#2 "Oh look I can do everything! No need to bring anyone else along kekeke"

#3 Now that's cool, assuming I understand this right this would support groups while not gimping solo players.

#4 You DO realize the "talent swapping" is fundamentaly the same as in GW1 and also applies to all classes.

#5 As has been stated before, "dynamic quests" aren't so "dynamic" when they get repeated a week (give or take a few days) later.

#6 Same as GW1, no need to comment further

#7 Gear (aside from weapons) only gave you armor, no other stats. Same (or similar) as GW1, moving along

#8 Don't really play PvP on any MMO so I can't comment on the little information you gave anyway.

I smell a fanboy/employee/NDA breaker. Cause seriously, from you it sounds like much hasn't really changed from GW1.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The skill system is not the same as GW1, yes there are only a set amount of skills on the skill bar but your weapons decided the first 5 skills and there are weapon chain skills. In GW1 you only were able to have 8 skills and could choose all of them, in GW2 you have 10 skills and can only choose 5 of them. With the weapon swap system and weapon chains though, you technically have 19+ skills(depending on the class) to use while in combat. If you go out of combat and switch your weapons from a great sword and dual swords to a hammer and dual axes, you will have a whole different skill bar (1-5) from before.

Also, there are stats on gear in GW2, it is not the same as GW1. However, there will not be 10 man dungeons, only 5 man dungeons. There will be end game world events though which could be for 5 players or 100, they scale up based on how many players there are, and its not just more health / dmg, they will unlock more powerful abilities.

Wait to play a demo or the actual game before you start thinking that everything is the same as the previous game. The game is completely different from the first game other than lore.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-19 at 05:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    That's absolutely incorrect. Using the same skill set can get you through the game, but you need to adapt to certain situations. Your 55 Monk might be good for farming Trolls, but you're not going to be able to take that to the Underworld. Take a look at this, it's a list of all the best builds for PvE play right now: http://www.gwpvx.com/Category:All_working_PvE_builds This website is maintained by elitist pricks who have zero tolerance for anything that isn't crushing or defining the current metagame.

So, in summation, there is metagame, and flavor of the month, but there is never, and will never, be ONE best spec.
    That seems to not be the case given the website you are linking. For example "Meta working SC builds" has only 8 listed. Would those 8 builds not be the best spec? Just because you have a higher variety and more roles does not mean that won't be certain builds that are better at tasks then others.

The number of "best" builds is arbitrary because it all boils down to being required to have a certain build for your role in a certain encounter. The difference between having a large number of "best" and a small number of "best" is the amount of times one is required to change and learn a different build just to do encounters. WoW used to require some classes to spec per encounter in order to be the best or get the right talents. Was that better gameplay? Not at all.

Does GW handle it better then WoW did? Perhaps I've never played it. But from a game design viewpoint there will always be builds that work the best at something when you allow a player to choose different builds. Its the nature of allowing choice, some are bad and some awesome. The thing that needs to be carefully examined with any new game is what is Marketing and what is Game play.

I'll use a clear cut example of Marketing versus game play to illustrate the point. GW2 developers have often said they have done away with the Holy trinity and they don't need to rely on it in there game. Yet they still have 3 clear cut roles; damage, control, and support. Which basically translate to their way of doing healer, dps, and tank. Its the same concept just renamed and branded as "new and different not the same old thing". That right away gets your attention with the surface marketing but when examined it is the same. You will still be looking for support/control/damage of X build for Y class when that role is needed or that class/build is needed for a specific encounter. People will always look for the best type for the role.

GW2 still uses the same basic holy trinity but has opened that holy trinity to every class if they build for it. It certainly does limit the time spent in chat "looking for healer" and "looking for tank" if everyone can provide those roles. But you'll still have those moments because not everyone will want to play every single type of build possible or be good at it.

Even if wow allowed every class to spec into healing, tanking, and dps roles there would still be a shortage of tanks and healers. Proof is in how not every druid plays all three specs or likes too.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Meh i stick to tera online.Guild wars 2 seems like just another mmo with click and spam 1 button.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Agreed, and the extremely limited amount of abilities doesn't look that great either.

I'll probably buy it and I'll probably even continue to play it since it doesn't have a monthly fee, but I doubt it will replace WoW for me (especially without raids).
    I personally like the limited skillbar, reminds me a lot of Magic the Gathering (which GW was modeled after). I do think that those who really enjoy organized traditional raids might not like GW2. But the nice thing about GW2 is that is a pick up and play type game. In other words, you aren't penalized for not playing for a month or two. So even if aren't keen on playing it because it doesn't have raids or whatever there still might be aspects of the game that you can enjoy as an alternate to your main mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    Meh i stick to tera online.Guild wars 2 seems like just another mmo with click and spam 1 button.
    How do you figure? From what I've seen there's a large amount of skills each class has depending on the class, and what weapons they use.

For example, I'm planning on making a Warrior, with Maces for one set, and a Greatsword for the other. The Mace has 5 skills, the Greatsword has 5 skills, I have 5 extra skills to use, that's 15 skills already, not counting other skills through warhorns, and banners, combined attacks, and environmental weapons.

Combined with the more fast paced combat system, what with dodging enemies, their attacks, and spells, and I guarantee you I will be using all the available skills for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    Poor attempt at trolling. If you even knew anything about GW2, you would know how wrong you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    The skill system is not the same as GW1, yes there are only a set amount of skills on the skill bar but your weapons decided the first 5 skills and there are weapon chain skills. In GW1 you only were able to have 8 skills and could choose all of them, in GW2 you have 10 skills and can only choose 5 of them. With the weapon swap system and weapon chains though, you technically have 19+ skills(depending on the class) to use while in combat. If you go out of combat and switch your weapons from a great sword and dual swords to a hammer and dual axes, you will have a whole different skill bar (1-5) from before.

Also, there are stats on gear in GW2, it is not the same as GW1. However, there will not be 10 man dungeons, only 5 man dungeons. There will be end game world events though which could be for 5 players or 100, they scale up based on how many players there are, and its not just more health / dmg, they will unlock more powerful abilities.

Wait to play a demo or the actual game before you start thinking that everything is the same as the previous game. The game is completely different from the first game other than lore.
    So we're to basically say he's correct since he's SUPPOSEDLY in the Alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That seems to not be the case given the website you are linking. For example "Meta working SC builds" has only 8 listed. Would those 8 builds not be the best spec? Just because you have a higher variety and more roles does not mean that won't be certain builds that are better at tasks then others.
    Those are team compositions designed to complete very specific tasks. Zoom out a bit and look at the "Excellent" and "Great" builds and it bumps up to over 20 different teams of 8. That's A lot of builds. And yes, there are certain builds that are better than other builds at certain tasks. To say otherwise would just be ignorant.

For example, the Sabway team build, which focuses on building a large minion army and using physical-damage-triggered Hexes is capable of plowing through a lot of the content. But as soon as you get to one of the missions with elementals, ghosts, or other unexploitable corpses, your entire team falls apart.

I feel as if you're not thinking enough into the number: 8. There are over 1200 skills in Guild Wars and you only get 8 of them. As opposed to WoW where each class gets about 40 and they can use them whenever they want. If I want to play, say, a Monk, I need to decide what's important for this upcoming mission: do I need to bring a Hex Removal? A Condition removal? Is there spike damage? Would mitigation be better than pure healing? If I'm healing, do I want to heal everyone a little or one guy a lot? What about energy management?

As for your "Holy Trinity" argument, I think you should really look into that a bit more. You act as if players being able to support eachother or snare an enemy means that will be their sole role. The farthest a helpful healing spell goes in GW2 is a Battle Standard that HoTs everyone near it. That's one Elite Spell. There isn't a guy who is going to sit there and let his 14 other skills go to waste because he needs to be planting Battle Standards in peoples' skulls. The control spells are exactly that: control. You have some knockbacks and some snares. You don't have taunts or "HEY BEAT ME NOT HIM" spells.

I encourage you to check this out: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en

It's a skill simulator based on data collected from various demos and shows in the past. I think you'll find it's very hard to make a character with only ONE thing in mind.
    Last edited by DeanyKong; 2011-04-19 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    #5 As has been stated before, "dynamic quests" aren't so "dynamic" when they get repeated a week (give or take a few days) later.
    people seem to confuse 'dynamic' with 'unique'.
    it is impossible to not ever repeat a event. it takes what, a few hours to complete a event, but a few months or so to create one. they would need a huge staff to pull that off.

the difference with dynamic is that the world does change (even tho it repeats itself). its not like say wow where you do some questing and are at 7/10 killing this and 18/25 collecting that and then logging in whenever you please and nothing changed and you can just complete whatever you were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    agreed, but thats only 8 different team builds for 8 specific areas and they wont work as effectively in other areas.
    cookie cutter builds are unavoidable when you give players a choice. thats what i dont really like, i had awesome fun just trying those areas with guildies (they had patience and skill^^) constantly changing and adapting. and the coolest thing is, which alot of people seem to miss (understandable if you didnt play the game), is that its not actually 8 skills but 8*8 (8skills * 8 players) because if everyone takes an induvidual build you will fail.
    and then the cookie cutter builds came that made the run 5 mins faster and all the fun was gone because if you wanted to pug you needed to have meta unless you had friends/guildies.
    edit: only true for the elite areas, the other hard mode and normal content people never ask about SC(speedclear) builds etc

I'll use a clear cut example of Marketing versus game play to illustrate the point. GW2 developers have often said they have done away with the Holy trinity and they don't need to rely on it in there game. Yet they still have 3 clear cut roles; damage, control, and support. Which basically translate to their way of doing healer, dps, and tank. Its the same concept just renamed and branded as "new and different not the same old thing". That right away gets your attention with the surface marketing but when examined it is the same. You will still be looking for support/control/damage of X build for Y class when that role is needed or that class/build is needed for a specific encounter. People will always look for the best type for the role.

GW2 still uses the same basic holy trinity but has opened that holy trinity to every class if they build for it. It certainly does limit the time spent in chat "looking for healer" and "looking for tank" if everyone can provide those roles. But you'll still have those moments because not everyone will want to play every single type of build possible or be good at it.

Even if wow allowed every class to spec into healing, tanking, and dps roles there would still be a shortage of tanks and healers. Proof is in how not every druid plays all three specs or likes too.
    True, but the difference between a dps and a healer is huuuuge, where as the difference between a say control and damage warrior is not that big of a change and has much smaller inpact on your gameplay versus holy pala and ret pala.
    Last edited by Rtwo; 2011-04-19 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Heh, ahh the internet. Where the 'glass is half full' and 'glass is half empty' people are both shouted down by the heaving masses of "WAAAAH! I WANT A FULL GLASS! WAAAAAAAH!'

Oh Djees how many ppl have pinneapples in their arses.
    Always like NCsoft makes GW 2 because they fund it.
    Bullshit straight away,so activision makes WoW these days aswel thats why its so boring atm(Just me acting with a pinneapple in my arse)?

And how many times do you see ppl post with "I have been playing WOW since day 1" do you really think it makes you sound pro?
    And believe me If you play that long it isnt your favorite game anymore only time I log in is for raiding and thats it and dont give me that crap like repairs,flasks food,its al covered by my friendly guild.

Try to have some fun instead of following the blind and try some other things aswel.

10+ Year Old Account
    The absence of world PvP in GW:2 greatly disturbs me. Everything about it is awesome except for only that ONE major issue. Which is why I'm opting towards TERA moreso than GW:2.
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    The absence of world PvP in GW:2 greatly disturbs me. Everything about it is awesome except for only that ONE major issue. Which is why I'm opting towards TERA moreso than GW:2.
    You don't think the WvW mists can satisfy your desire of world pvp?