Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Q about H LK at 85

Going to be doing H LK tomorrow, and I have a question.

On normal mode 25man LK at level 85, the Infest is completely resisted, meaning healers don't have to worry about topping everyone up every few seconds. Is it the same on heroic mode? Or will the healers have to worry about aoe healing/shielding everyone for each Infest?

And please, just reply if you've actually done this fight at level 85.

Infest is a joke on level 85s. That should be the least of your worries.

Yes and no, as long as everyone is nearly topped off infest should not cause problems, but the second you get someone under 90% and an infest goes off and you don't heal it up quickly enough you will have problems

so yes to an extent but it shouldn't be that big of an issue

Quote Originally Posted by mtawney1313 View Post
    Infest is a joke on level 85s. That should be the least of your worries.
    I plan on having everyone spread out for p1, so if there are any Shadowtrap fails it'll just be 1 person.

P1.5, melee on the adds + Shambling Horrors, ranged stay on Lich King, heal through Winter damage, pop hero in this phase. Hopefully we can get H LK to almost 40% by this phase.

When p2 starts, he should be < 50%, we can burn down the last 10% before the 1st set of Valks reaches the edge and p2.5 starts. Ranged keep dpsing the boss, melee on the adds, he should get to 20%+. When we get pushed into the Frostmourne room in p3 we'll just stand in one place, all ranged can easily dps the ghosts, and just heal through the bombs.

I think it'll be pretty easy, I'm just wondering about Infest.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloz View Post
    Yes and no, as long as everyone is nearly topped off infest should not cause problems, but the second you get someone under 90% and an infest goes off and you don't heal it up quickly enough you will have problems

so yes to an extent but it shouldn't be that big of an issue
    Its only a prob if people are below 90% as she/he said because heals heal about the same at lvl 80 as the do at lvl 85. Once somebody is below that 90% it will be hard to stop infest.

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

It does up to 14276 shadow damage (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=73781). So as long as all have buffed more than 110k life+30% buff and keep all topped off, it will disappear instantaneous.
    Ignoring it on someone who wasn't topped off will of course still lead to his death.

you will faceroll it anyway... if not, you do something terribly wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    It does up to 14276 shadow damage (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=73781). So as long as all have buffed more than 110k life+30% buff and keep all topped off, it will disappear instantaneous.
    Ignoring it on someone who wasn't topped off will of course still lead to his death.
    Ah alright, thanks for the info.

Deleted
    the main problem you'll have is the same problem people had with the fight at 80, failing at defile or failing at valkyrs - yes valkyrs still beat some 85 groups - the rest of the fight is a cake walk.

Don't. Have all your ranged group up and one person calling it over voice chat. Spreading out makes the ghouls run all over the place (since you know, there's always at least 2 that ignore the add tank >_<)
    Get a rogue or hunter do MD the ghouls to the tank.

Problem solved.

But yeah if you get shadow traps all over the place it might start getting a bit crazy.

Honestly the only thing that should really be an issue on this fight at level 85 is defile.
    Last edited by mtawney1313; 2011-04-22 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    On Valks, EVERYONE EXCEPT LOCKS moves into the middle. The locks put their teleports at the very edge and then stand around 10-20 yards outside the group. The valks will automatically go for them. When they get dropped, they simply teleport and go back to nuking. EVERYONE ignores the Valkyrs, and just focuses the LK throughout, only moving out when defile is coming.
    Valks don't just go for locks standing outside the group. Its just that you can easily spot if a lock is picked up and don't have to bother dpsing that valk. iirc... its been awhile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    the main problem you'll have is the same problem people had with the fight at 80, failing at defile or failing at valkyrs - yes valkyrs still beat some 85 groups - the rest of the fight is a cake walk.
    I don't recall shadow traps ever being a problem in my groups. Only problem was 2 man healing (on 10 man, in full 10 man gear, no 25 man items whatsoever) the infest and tank damage + killing valkyres in time + soaking in p3. All of that is completely removed at level 85[infest deals no damage, valkyres are a joke to kill, and soaking isn't required]

Don't. Have all your ranged group up and one person calling it over voice chat. Spreading out makes the ghouls run all over the place (since you know, there's always at least 2 that ignore the add tank >_<) not to mention shadow traps everywhere. I did LK H at 85 a few weeks ago, and having all the ranged move as a group for the traps made it much easier to manage.

Having one in melee is the worst, but it's manageable. If your melee see one in their range, just tell them they NEED to simply stand away and do nothing. Don't let them nuke the adds as they risk spawning another trap on the add tank. Just have them stand there until it's clear.

Infest isn't an issue. At all. Some people might die to it, they did in our run, but that was when everything was going crazy and movement was needed.

On Valks, EVERYONE EXCEPT LOCKS moves into the middle. The locks put their teleports at the very edge and then stand around 10-20 yards outside the group. The valks will automatically go for them. When they get dropped, they simply teleport and go back to nuking. EVERYONE ignores the Valkyrs, and just focuses the LK throughout, only moving out when defile is coming.

Inside Frostmourne, everyone runs of their own accord. Make sure people have their camera above their character at max range, and then just tell them if they see a purple glowing orb or ghost above them, to move away from it. At 80, this wouldn't have worked, but at 85, the splash is manageable, even if a direct hit isn't so good (it still takes around 70% of someone's HP if hit directly, whereas splash is AOE Healable). Have all your ranged spam their AoE. Boomkins put up starfall, Locks spam Seed of Corruption EVEN if they're not affliction, hunters multishot. Melee and healers run around surviving and assisting with targetable cooldowns (Hand of Sacrifice, Raidwall, both are very potent here). No one, not a single person, can die here. He WILL 2-shot Cata tanks due to the buff he gets.

AS SOON as you get out of the first FM phase, spread the hell out as there'll be an instant defile. Do not, for the love of god, run back into it or even look at it. This one has a habit of being overly sensitive and spreading even if no one thinks they're inside it.

When he spawns the spirits from his blade (the ones that float in the air), ALL RANGED switch to them. They've got 65K HP from what i remember and there's around 15-20 of them. Ranged AoE is good here, but save ones with cooldowns for Frostmourne. Single targetting as they come down is beneficial, moreso if a tank has taunted them. I know as add tank, i had to use Holy Wrath and both taunts to get enough of them onto me. Then, if they weren't dead, cooldowns up. I got hit with about 5 of them without cooldowns available at one point and was left with 20% HP. They REALLY hurt. Having all cooldowns up and i could have soaked probably 12 or so before dieing (but with healers, it's not that bad if i do have CD's up).

As for positioning, P1, tank the boss to the left of the throne by the pillar, and the adds around 15 yards south of that. P2, tank him in the middle of the area. P3, start tanking him north, and when he spawns the spirits, kite him south. Rinse and repeat.

You'll get more than one FM room phase. It's a simply fight in practice and once you get it, you'll realise how easy it is at 85. There's more theory to it than in actual execution.
    I appreciate the advice but I really think you're way overcomplicating the fight, I used to do it at 80, most of the mechanics can be ignored/burned through at 85.

I would imagine that stacking up and AoE healing during the FM room would be less risky than having healers not be able to heal much running around the room the entire time. Also, I'm sure we could just eat the Spirit damage, burning H LK would only give probably 2 sets of Spirits.

The P1 strat is mainly because this is going to be a trade chat pug, not going to be getting people I know. I can't rely on everyone to do the same thing, it's just so much safer for the raid if the 1 person that fails only brings himself down instead of his whole group. There'd only be about 3-4 Shadowtraps before transition, anyway.

Edit: 70% health from a direct hit? Well then I guess everyone running around really is better.

In 10-man, the soaking probably isn't as much of an issue. In 25, having the add tank soak up as many spirits as possible is very beneficial.

Almost every time, they went for our 3 locks. If you've got less than 3, they're gonna need to grab other players, but having 3 in seperate areas of the platform outisde the main group gives you a very good chance all 3 will be picked up.

Even within an organised guild, i could only convince on to assist me with that once it got a little crazier (and that's a long time friend), mainly due to it being older content.

-----

I should have clarified that my original post was from the 25-man PoV. Never done 10-man, and i do imagine it's a lot more difficult (even if much easier than at 80).
    Your position on the platform does not increase the likelihood that Valks will pick you up. :/

Deleted
    When he spawns the spirits from his blade (the ones that float in the air), ALL RANGED switch to them. They've got 65K HP from what i remember and there's around 15-20 of them. Ranged AoE is good here, but save ones with cooldowns for Frostmourne. Single targetting as they come down is beneficial, moreso if a tank has taunted them. I know as add tank, i had to use Holy Wrath and both taunts to get enough of them onto me. Then, if they weren't dead, cooldowns up. I got hit with about 5 of them without cooldowns available at one point and was left with 20% HP. They REALLY hurt. Having all cooldowns up and i could have soaked probably 12 or so before dieing (but with healers, it's not that bad if i do have CD's up).
    If you use the tactic OP is talking about, meaning all ranged are on LK on transition phases, there should be no need to even worry about the spirits. As even with moderate dps you should be able to nuke LK down to 10% with BL before spirits even hit anyone. Saving a lot of hassle, as I can assure you in pugs probably 50%+ of the raid wouldn't switch to spirits anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of the encounter can be bruteforced now.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Until DEFILE HITS! ahahah

Deleted
    Its easy at 85 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm going to agree with this statement. Trying to overcomplicate the encounter and do it 'the way it was meant to' will probably cause most pugs to collapse and manage to kill themselves in some sort of spectacular and admittedly hilarious fashion.

Blow lust/heroism on the first transition phase and have your ranged DPS burn LK throughout the entire phase. With luck, you won't get a single val'kyr wave; even if you do, just do an aoe stun of some sort (a paladin will do the job fine) and have everybody destroy the valks. Keep vaguely spread for defile so that even somebody with slow reactions has time to move away. Have ranged burn hard during the second transition as well. You may not even get a single wave of vile spirits if you DPS is good enough.