Healing ultimates on conclave hc - which healers do you use?

***this is about 10 man heroic***

Seems like most of our strategy seems ok after a few evenings, but last time we failed a few times on healing the ultimate at the Nezir platform. We used a resto druid and a resto shaman, and no paladin tank. We grouped up at the resto shaman who arrives at around 80 energy, the other 6 people arrive at 90 energy, so when the ultimate is starting.

It seems like we just can't keep up the healing (we have glyphed healing stream up), and in the end people can be very low, and a few times one or two even died before they were back on the original platform again.

Is the problem not having a cooldown like aura mastery, pw: barrier or the pally tank cd? Is it that 6 people arrive fairly late? Is it lack of healing?
    Last edited by Shammywan; 2011-04-22 at 03:26 PM.

Are you personally on that platform? Can you see if everyone is getting owned by ice patches? It should be a "group up, then spread out" strategy, dispersing as the Ultimate ends. Also don't all run back to your platform in a clump, spread out. Everyone getting ice patched is deadly.

We do D Priest on Rohash, R Shaman & H Pally alternate Nezir and Anshal ultimates. We alternate Aura Mastery and Divine Guardian for each Nezir ultimate. What's your comp/what cooldowns do you have? Also, it should be 7 people on the platform, not 6.

Thanks for the response, yeah I said the other 6, so 7. And we don't have any defensive raid cooldowns available unfortunately, and it's that the damage from the ultimate is getting us low, noone is standing in the ice patches fortunately

I'm mainly wondering if it's supposed to be doable by a resto druid + resto shaman w/o raid cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammywan View Post
    Thanks for the response, yeah I said the other 6, so 7. And we don't have any defensive raid cooldowns available unfortunately, and it's that the damage from the ultimate is getting us low, noone is standing in the ice patches fortunately

I'm mainly wondering if it's supposed to be doable by a resto druid + resto shaman w/o raid cooldowns.
    Tranquility is a raid cooldown. Tell him to barkskin before he casts, and he won't lose any ticks.

What is your group makeup for DPS? You could always have one of the hybrids (if you have any) drop some heals during the Nezir ultimate to help out. Either that, or everyone use whichever self healing ability they have available (since most classes seem to have 1 or 2 these days). As long as the only one having the issues is the shaman healer, just have the raid use this technique when he is the one healing that ultimate. That way they should have some sort of defensive cooldown available each time. When the druid is healing it, just do it the old fashioned way (assuming he isn't having the same healing problems). You'll lose a small amount of dps, but it'll be worth it to stay alive.

Deleted
    Do you run with a comp that doesn't contain any priest or paladin healer?

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Do you run with a comp that doesn't contain any priest or paladin healer?

I can see pally provide aura mastery
    What do priest bring ? Divine Hymn on 8 min CD is just too long, isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZGZeus View Post
    I can see pally provide aura mastery
    What do priest bring ? Divine Hymn on 8 min CD is just too long, isnt it?
    Discipline Priests get Power Word: Barrier which is a big bubble that reduces everyone's damage taken.

Could you post your class composition or at least the third healer's class?

The set-up we use is the following:

Rohash: Resto shaman, fury warrior, frost mage
    Nezir: Disc priest, prot paladin
    Anshal: Resto druid, prot warrior, frost dk, demo lock, fire mage

Nezir and Anshal healers are swapping

I guess we could change disc priest and resto druid, but since the druid is the raid leader, he wants to keep an eye on the life platform and lead them, so if possible we want to keep it like that. Disc to rohash is out of the question as he sucks a bit, and he fails a lot there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammywan View Post
    The set-up we use is the following:

Rohash: Resto shaman, fury warrior, frost mage
    Nezir: Disc priest, prot paladin
    Anshal: Resto druid, prot warrior, frost dk, demo lock, fire mage

Nezir and Anshal healers are swapping

I guess we could change disc priest and resto druid, but since the druid is the raid leader, he wants to keep an eye on the life platform and lead them, so if possible we want to keep it like that. Disc to rohash is out of the question as he sucks a bit, and he fails a lot there.
    This is what I would do.

Starting positions:
    Nezir: Prot Pally, Disc Priest
    Anshal: Prot Warrior, Resto Druid

Ultimate 1
    Prot Pally bubbles off his stacks & uses Divine Guardian. Stays on Nezir.
    Prot Warrior stays on Anshal.
    Disc Priest goes to Anshal (stay here til next Ulti)
    Resto Druid goes to Nezir (stay here til next Ulti)

Ultimate 2
    Prot Pally & Prot Warrior switch platforms
    Disc Priest & Resto Druid switch platforms
    Disc Priest uses PW:B during Ultimate

From there, tanks & healers rotate every single Ultimate, rotating cooldowns so you always have either Divine Guardian or PW:B for every Ultimate.

Resto shaman and Disc priest.

Deleted
    It's pretty simple, you need frost resistance aura or totem. It's amazing how many people forget this.

If you got res and 7 people on platform nobody should die, unless they're standing in ice patches.

It's a good idea to have a paladin healing the frost platform because they can reset their stacks and don't need to swap, so you can take an ultimate with 3 healers (as long as one goes back as soon as it ends to heal tank on anshal)
    Last edited by mmoc9f738f0006; 2011-04-23 at 09:49 AM.

Tranquility doesn't quite compare to barrier or AM, however resto druids are useful on the rohash platform due to the large array of instant casts and if they're without a mage, they can catform to reduce falling damage.

Your resto shaman will have spirit link totem this week as well:

Spirit Link Totem (new talent) reduces damage taken by all party and raid members within 10 yards by 10%. This lasts 6 seconds, and every second it is active the health of all affected players is redistributed among them, such that each player ends up with the same percentage of their maximum health. This counts as an Air totem and has a 3-minute cooldown.

We use the same healing settup: Our raid looks something like this

Anshal- Druid tank, frost dk (add kiter) start the resto shaman here
    Nezir- Druid healer, pally tank, enh shaman, lock
    Rohash- Dpriest frost mage mm hunter

First ultimate- (will only include nezirs platform for simplicity sakes) Disc priest transfers to nezirs platform, druid and shaman swap. First ultimate is tanked by the prot paladin, lock, hunter, shaman, priest enh shaman. Stack on his ass and power word barrier the first ultimate, disc priest jumps back to rohash to heal mage/rohash ultimate tank.

Second ultimate- again disc priest goes back to nezir, shaman and druid switch, (as the rdruid for our kill, I use tree form, wild growth then barkskin then tranquility. (tranquility is affected by mastery so having hots on the other people increases its healing done). When I do that, no other cooldowns are needed, I do so much effing healing no one goes under 95% during ultimate.

Third ultimate- up to the shaman and priest to heal. same as #1, except we use the prot paladins dguardian instead of barrier, because our 3rd rohash shield seems to be the hardest to heal thru and the priest just uses barrier during shield.

Overall, if healing on nezirs ult is hurting you more than rng on rohash, your healers are doing something wrong...

Make sure your raid is spreading out before nezir is finished casting his ultimate or an ice patch under your raid could easily rape your raid.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 2011-04-24 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Percolator View Post
    Tranquility doesn't quite compare to barrier or AM, however resto druids are useful on the rohash platform due to the large array of instant casts and if they're without a mage, they can catform to reduce falling damage.
    In terms of raw numbers, it can. However, if you were to consider whether it would save someone from death, it probably won't and reducing damage is always better than healing through it. Regardless, tranquility is pretty damn useful, the OP's druid should use it.