Deleted

What to do? (Raiding & Guild)

Hey everyone,

First of all, i would like to say that i am by no means bitching about my entire guild when i say this but honestly, i don't know what to do with them any more. We have a Mage that did 11k DPS when she was in Full Blues, she is now the best geared DPS in the entire guild (Full Epics minus 2 Blues)... and she still does 11k DPS. I saw her peak at 12.8k on Magmaw... Where i as a tank was doing 11.4 and all the other DPS were doing 17k+.

We have been raiding for i believe 8-9 weeks now and have only just gotten to 6/12 normal. We downed Atramedes once and havn't done so since. (3 weeks ago) We spent two and a half hours wiping on Maloriak on Monday after 3 shotting him on our first ever downing. I'm an officer in this guild and i have done beyond what i can probably manage to realistically do to keep the guild afloat. I have dealt with many situations that others should of dealt with, if there is a problem, i am always the one that has to sort it out, or gets told about it first. I am then the one expected to deal with it. The guildmaster is often away on work for sometimes 2-3 weeks at a time. He generally takes some of the weight off when he is around but people still come straight to me for help.

I don't mind helping people, i've setup threads on the forums and personally looked at peoples armory's and spent time looking on forums (EJ, Here and class specific websites eg Shadowcraft) and commenting on ways they can improve. People will say "Oh sure,great thanks!" and then ignore my advice. This is AFTER we have already stated that they are doing below average damage. We've kicked two people i believe, one for getting narky about not getting a raid spot and another for refusing to work with his spec and improve his damage.

I honestly don't know what to do with this guild. I have the gear to get into a much better guild and i have the previous raiding experience and achievements to do so however i still like alot of the people in this guild. I have alot of good friends and people trust me as an Officer, despite how much i might feel that they are just taking me for granted. We raid twice a week, i'm quite comfortable with that. Before that it was only once and people were getting pissy about not raiding enough, i wouldn't of minded but we almost never had 10 people online on a wednesday, let alone any other day. When we raid it feels like an up hill battle against a land slide, we are starting to make stupid wipes on bosses we have had on farm for weeks, to the point of spending hours wiping on them. We had some "good" progress on Chimaeron previously, getting him to i believe 48% in 3 tries and thats the best news we have had in a long time.

I'm unsure of what to do anymore. I've been offered to join a guild doing 12/12 normal with 1 boss down in HC, however this would mean transferring, i've already done it once and don't feel like losing contact with the friends i have on my current server, but i don't think they would consider me as a friend if i did so anyway. Oh, and the Mage is awkward, we are planning on sorting it out next week... who knows what will happen.

So, MMO-Champions, what would you do if you were in my position? Give your guild another chance and keep going and see if you can reach a breakthrough with them or seek out your other opportunities with other guilds? Possibly transferring in the process.

TLDR: Read it >_>

I would have a hard time transferring in your position, since much of the game for me is about the people rather than progression etc. Most guilds will pulls through rough/slow patches if the members are loyal and consistent. However, you definitely need more support running the guild. Doing what you're doing now is a good way to turn a game into a job, which is never what wow should be.

Transferring isn't a bad option though if it's just too overwhelming. It can actually be nice to start fresh at the bottom of the totem pole without so many people looking to you for answers.

Edit: accidentally posted early
    Last edited by Dhurn; 2011-04-23 at 04:36 AM.

I had the same issue long ago, I was in a guild who couldn't kill gruul when Black Temple was out. I joined a guild who was on the shadowbitch in BT and now I'm still with the same people and we're 10/13HM. And even if I'm not on the same server I still talk to my old buddies and I help them with strats. (Yesterday I logged one of my friend toon to raid lead the raid to help them with nef + al'akir normal.) So if you have some really good friends you can still chat with them or play with them on an alt while you raid in a better guild.

The day I've got the offer to switch guild I wasn't sure how people would react since I was an officier and good and blablabla, but someone told me that "for who do you play ? yourself or your friends ?" before everything, this is a game, so if what you need to have fun is a better progression. Then transfer, if you prefer the social aspect and can live with the ûberfail of other people well stay.
    But people of your guild should never blam you for your choices.

6/12 with people doing 17k... mmm would seem like dps isn't the problem

anyways going from leadership to membership is nice, I've been there. Making new friends elsewhere is never too hard, just have to hope the guild you transfer to isn't full complete asshats.

bottomline does progression/getting things done/making new friends > your current situation, I'd go

What magic said, play for you, not others. Do what makes you happy, I just went through something similar. Our guild kinda split due to a few members stopping playing, and we were all fine with it, I decided along with another player that I would go to a different guild instead of following the other 4 people still playing. I live with 2 of the people that I chose to split off raiding with.

Basically, dont give a damn about other people unless its RL issues, play the game to play the game. play it for fun, do what you enjoy.

(btw our guildies that went to the other guild wiped for 2hrs on H Halfus 25, and they claim to be the best guild on the server, but we went in and with 3 new raiders in our raid, killed h magmaw, maloriak, atram, chim, halfus. new progression fight first night of attempts on V+T killed, and then got conclave the next week as a new progression boss, and almost have al'akir.) They finally got heroic halfus and are working on heroic chim now...

Deleted
    Do you pay $15/month so that your friends can enjoy the game or so that you can enjoy the game?

If they're actually your friends they'll understand if you need to leave, and maybe even follow you. Bottom line, if you're not having fun for an extended period of time then you're doing it wrong. Find a place where you are having fun, WoW is suppose to be your hobby.

Option 1: Get your friends and talk to them about switching to 10m
    Option 2: Get your friends and talk to them about applying to a guild together (unlikely to work, any guild who is recruiting multiple people at once is doing so for a reason and is likely struggling)
    Option 3: Leave and go be happy somewhere else. You still have realID for close friends.

Deleted
    I'd be tempted to speak to the GM and other officers in your guild, and explain how you feel. Hopefully 1 or more of them will step up to the plate and help ease your burden.

Loyalty is one thing, but carrying people who aren't trying and/or capable is another thing.

I would take Option 3 from Ravens list if my talk with the GM/Officers didn't work.

Deleted
    Leave the guild and transfer to the promise lands... You will make new friends.

I've been on 3 servers so far and to be honest the first two servers I was on consisted of players who barely knew left from right.

The only way i'd stay on the server if these "friends" were my friends in RL.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Do you pay $15/month so that your friends can enjoy the game or so that you can enjoy the game?

If they're actually your friends they'll understand if you need to leave, and maybe even follow you. Bottom line, if you're not having fun for an extended period of time then you're doing it wrong. Find a place where you are having fun, WoW is suppose to be your hobby.

Option 1: Get your friends and talk to them about switching to 10m
    Option 2: Get your friends and talk to them about applying to a guild together (unlikely to work, any guild who is recruiting multiple people at once is doing so for a reason and is likely struggling)
    Option 3: Leave and go be happy somewhere else. You still have realID for close friends.
    Although I have a few problems with this post. I think I agree with this post the most.

Just leave and never look back,you shouldn't be playing the game for 9 other people - You should be playing the game for yourself and your personal enjoyment.

It seems like you've done everything in your power to improve your guild. If that's true and you decide to leave,your guildmates will still count you as a friend and will be grateful for your help and support.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you transfer, you'd probably make new friends. So go for it.

Never ever come to forums for reassurance whether or not you're making the right decision, because of a simple reason: ONLY YOU know if it's the right one or not

As for my answer, well, if you're not happy, go somewhere where you WILL be happy. And keep in mind that no matter where you go, you will hit a rough/slow patch now and then.

Deleted
    Leave, that's what i did when people piled shit for me to handle when my hands we're full, even after complaining about it things didnt change so i just posted a BB thread on the forums and migrated without thinking about it much.. and i found better home for me to play.. and i will never ever will accept the role of an officer..

/gquit and bb and transfer to random server ftw !

I'd honestly just transfer. Losing contact with friends isn't an issue; that's what RealID is for. If they're really your friends, they won't care that you're moving on to bigger and better things. I'd have never gone anywhere in this game if I didn't suck it up and act when I realized that it was time to move on, which would've been a real shame considering the caliber of player that I am.

If people begrudge you so much that they refuse to keep speaking to you if you leave, then they aren't truly your friends and simply aren't worth your time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotron View Post
    I'd honestly just transfer. Losing contact with friends isn't an issue; that's what RealID is for. If they're really your friends, they won't care that you're moving on to bigger and better things. I'd have never gone anywhere in this game if I didn't suck it up and act when I realized that it was time to move on, which would've been a real shame considering the caliber of player that I am.

If people begrudge you so much that they refuse to keep speaking to you if you leave, then they aren't truly your friends and simply aren't worth your time.
    For some reason, I can't help but giggle at this. How's all that target switching and movement treating ya?

On topic, have a sit down with your guild and let them know what's up. If they're unwilling to suck it up and play better, then...well, it IS your money, spend it on something you enjoy doing. If that means finding a new place to raid, then hey, it's a free country.
    BfA Beta Time

Quite well, actually.

Change guilds already. I had this happen in a RL friends guild where they kept dumping gear on a fail sp. I told him the same thing,RUN.

Obviously progression isnt the most important thing or they are very slow and dont see all of the problems,or they dont care. Move on, get a better guild, it makes raiding alot more fun not to wipe on faceroll content.

Any time I've felt I was compromising my in-game goals out of a sense of loyalty to my guild, I've come to regret it. There's bound to be other people who are also frustrated with the guild's performance and lack of progress. Your current guild may be about to fall apart anyway. You're probably the "glue" holding it together in fact. So by staying, you're just prolonging a bad situation for everyone.

Based on your reluctance to be the go-to guy for your guild's problems, I recommend you leave and go to a new one asap. If you want to stay in touch with your current realm friends, just real ID them and you'll always be able to chat. Leave an alt behind perhaps, but it's just a game, there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy it to the fullest.