10+ Year Old Account
    What about Fry's?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Woohoo, more lefties!

And fine, I'll go buy more M&Ms tomorrow... *grumble grumble*

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm a righty, but I would rather use both hands. (giggity)
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I normally don't care much for Swifty, but he did the Nostromo justice... he kinda had to since he's sponsored by Razer, huh?
    Yeah yeah, it's not the G13, but like I said, a Nostromo is basically just an alternate brand for what the G13 is: a gaming keypad.

I still don't understand the point. So it's like 1/4 or 1/3 of a keyboard. Other than the fancy palm rest (and the macro software, which you can use any free macro software), what's the point?

I suppose it MAY give your hand access to a few more buttons than a normal keyboard (since the D-Pad is such a small surface area and can have so many buttons bound to it), but it can't be that many more.

Has someone counted how many extra keys one of those actually give you access to (not counting macros and etc. which you can also use with a keyboard)?
    Last edited by Maconi; 2012-05-10 at 12:09 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah I'm left-handed but many things I just end up using my right hand - like with my mouse.

Thank you so much for all this info.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_keypad

A gaming keypad is a small, auxiliary keyboard designed only for gaming. It has a limited number of the original keys from a standard keyboard, and they are arranged in a more ergonomic fashion to facilitate quick and efficient gaming key presses. The commonly used keys for gaming on a computer are the 'W', 'A', 'S', 'D', and the keys close and adjescent to these keys. These keys and style of using a keyboard is referred to as WASD. A gaming keypad will not only optimize the WASD layout, but will often contain extra functionality, such as volume control, the Esc. key, and the F1-F12 keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I still don't understand the point. So it's like 1/4 or 1/3 of a keyboard. Other than the fancy palm rest (and the macro software, which you can use any free macro software), what's the point?

I suppose it MAY give your hand access to a few more buttons than a normal keyboard (since the D-Pad is such a small surface area and can have so many buttons bound to it), but it can't be that many more.

Has someone counted how many extra keys one of those actually give you access to (not counting macros and etc. which you can also use with a keyboard)?
    It's all about choice, some like them some don't. I don't, I prefer my mechanical keyboard, I do have a razer naga though.

BTW.
    Did anyone test if GW2 blocks the macrosoftware? I know some MMO's do. I recall SWTOR blocking it.

Deleted

One thing that's rather frequently overlooked. Just made this video, so take a quick look.

You see each time I press that button and the colours change? Each of those is a brand new keymap, that can be customised how you like. You dont even have to cycle like I did, you can edit the buttons to change to and from what you like, even to change to a keymap for as long as you hold a button down.

Fifteen buttons, plus a scroll wheel, a d-pad and that little clicky button. Times that by eight.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it's that I like using the keyboard for things like... chatting, interacting directly with the interface with character building or economy/social stuff... etc etc.

I want to get the Nostromo to separate gaming keybinds from things like that.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    One thing that's rather frequently overlooked. Just made this video, so take a quick look.

-snip-

You see each time I press that button and the colours change? Each of those is a brand new keymap, that can be customised how you like. You dont even have to cycle like I did, you can edit the buttons to change to and from what you like, even to change to a keymap for as long as you hold a button down.

Fifteen buttons, plus a scroll wheel, a d-pad and that little clicky button. Times that by eight.
    Oh yeah, I forgot the different keymaps.

The beginning of MoP Beta:
    "We want Discipline to feel different, so we're removing several of the heals you have become accustomed to using over the years and replacing them with absorb mechanics."

Currently in the MoP Beta:
    "We don't want Discipline feeling TOO different so here's all your old heals back. Oh, and Spirit Shell is now a semi-useful-in-certain-situations cooldown. Enjoy."

GC:We usually start out more bold and refine things as we go along, which often means going to a known fallback position. That direction makes more sense than starting off cautiously and getting more reckless as we get closer to ship.
    This is why I dumped WoW for GW2, false promises and game design goals which are designed to get players interested, only to be removed and reverted last second.

Don't disappoint me Anet!

Also scarab lord!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

This was what I was getting at aswell, From my count they're about equal (depending on handsize). My hands are pretty small for a guy and I can reach 44(including modifiers) keys on my normal keyboard (of which I can hit 35ish whilst activly moving my char)

From what I can see the nostromo has 27keys and the g13 has 28 or 32 depending on what thebuttons on the top are for.
    This means you lose a whopping 17 keys for the nostromo and 16 or 12 for the g13.
    With that many keys lost I have to be missing something... (macros don't count since there are other programs for that if you really want that functionality)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm not happy with the change they made to Disc. Not that their new idea is a bad design, but I liked what they were trying to do originally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    This was what I was getting at aswell, From my count they're about equal (depending on handsize). My hands are pretty small for a guy and I can reach 44(including modifiers) keys on my normal keyboard (of which I can hit 35ish whilst activly moving my char)

From what I can see the nostromo has 27keys and the g13 has 28 or 32 depending on what thebuttons on the top are for.
    This means you lose a whopping 17 keys for the nostromo and 16 or 12 for the g13.
    With that many keys lost I have to be missing something... (macros don't count since there are other programs for that if you really want that functionality)
    Check my vid on the previous page. With modifiers, I'm hitting... 176 buttons.

And that was left handed
    Last edited by mmoc8773ad9113; 2012-05-10 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added witty remark

Yeah, I'm not happy with the change they made to Disc. Not that their new idea is a bad design, but I liked what they were trying to do originally.
    Its like, finally Disc is actually going to use shields to heal! instead of just it's cd's being shield related instead of direct heals like holy.

Blizz: opps just kidding back to disc wotlk design.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Just saw your vid, great one btw. Now I see what I was missing.
    What I ment with (including modifiers) is that ctrl, alt, shift are part of the 44. So you actually get 123keys to hit (theoreticly, alt+f4 isn't a good keybind =D) all with the left hand.

I finally understand the use of the G13 and Nostromo thanks to your vid though, you get about 600keys of which a far greater % will be easy to acces.

...umm...? Why are we having this discussion here, instead of over there at my place?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    ...umm...? I'm missing something here.
    Original Spirit Shell: casted absorb

Current Spirit Shell: 60-second cooldown that causes your normal heals to apply absorbs instead of heals for 15 seconds

=\

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Its like, finally Disc is actually going to use shields to heal! instead of just it's cd's being shield related instead of direct heals like holy.

Blizz: opps just kidding back to disc wotlk design.
    The problem is that in WOW, this was something EQ struggled with as well, the class design was inherently predicated on requiring other classes of a particular stripe. Seeing as how WOW originally took it's design cues for classes from 989/Verant- that doesn't surprise me Blizz would need to playtest the extremes first then pull in. Truthfully, they have no other choice.

There are a lot of changes they made over the years to facilitate looser gameplay styles. Yet they do keep some of the original design here & there.

TLDR: World of Warcraft is old & struggles under it's own weight/legacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I finally understand the use of the G13 and Nostromo thanks to your vid though, you get about 600keys of which a far greater % will be easy to acces.
    It's not about the number of keys, but about the key layout mostly, as far as I'm concerned. For much the same reason that WASD movement become popular (although lately many gamers are turning towards ESDF).

Original Spirit Shell: casted absorb

Current Spirit Shell: 60-second cooldown that causes your normal heals to apply absorbs instead of heals for 15 seconds

=\
    Oh I'm aware. See edit: Why are we having this discussion here, instead of over there at my place?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~