Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Probably just coincidence. I played around with a water focused build on my elementalist and it healed for crap.
    My sister played a Staff Water Elmentalist. Was super effective at supporting us [me + brother-in-law]. We each made it to the 20s.

Drake is right. +Heal is the way to go.

Well if that is the case and it becomes mandatory for groups then ArenaNet has failed in their design. Still no need to make mountains yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if that is the case and it becomes mandatory for groups then ArenaNet has failed in their design. Still no need to make mountains yet.
    Pretty much why I brought it up. It's a balance issue that needs to be addressed. I can see why people are making the claim that there are still "tanks" and "healers" in the game now. Because Guardians are good at both controlling enemies and preventing damage, while water-attuned Elementalists are good at healing damage. In some ways, maybe too good.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I am not sure if it is a a matter of being "necessary" or required in a certain sense. However, there is no way having a supporter is a hindrance. Even an Engineer can fill that role with the med packs, heal turret, elixir gun and +heal gear.

There is a bit of a fallacy [tiny bit] that one is taking zero damage when playing "correctly". Flat out, that is bullshit. You will get hit. Mobs will show up in numbers greater than you have CDs or dodge energy to deal with in actual practice.

Anything you do that mitigates that is awesome; dodging, LOSing, kiting, weakness, toughness, +heal, etc.

GW2 has a very sloppy and loose feel. I think the game is intended to be played under those circumstances. It's fun. More action game-y.

Well I agree Fencers but you know people will take the path of least resistance. And if that means taking a support oriented Guardian and Elementalist then you can bet that is what the LFG will be bottlenecked for.

Except it seems that most people only check out support builds for those specific classes (eles and guardians); since I haven't checked into support builds, I can't say for certain, but I expect that while having support oriented players with you will be, if not essential at least nice, most if not every class should have sufficient support to do so as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Did anyone else find the diving board in Lions Arch? At the top of the structure just before the diving board there was something you could pick up and equip, like an environmental weapon. When you jumped off the diving board your skill bar changed and you got 2 buttons that literally made you do flips and shit as you fell to the water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Except it seems that most people only check out support builds for those specific classes (eles and guardians); since I haven't checked into support builds, I can't say for certain, but I expect that while having support oriented players with you will be, if not essential at least nice, most if not every class should have sufficient support to do so as needed.
    Engineers will likely also be amazing at support, with an elixir + elixir gun build. I think Rangers are also decent at it, since their healing spring causes a CPC healing effect, and their spirits are all about supporting the team.
    Necros that want a support focus will build heavily for Wells, particularly aimed at controlling conditions and boons.
    Warriors that want a support focus will build for Shouts and Banners, and will grab a Warhorn, but they still won't provide a lot of healing, specifically, to a group.

Just, from what I've seen, Guardians are second-to-none at preventing damage, while water Elementalists are second-to-none at healing damage, and those specific factors will make them highly desired if no other profession can provide the same kind of support.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Engineers will likely also be amazing at support, with an elixir + elixir gun build. I think Rangers are also decent at it, since their healing spring causes a CPC healing effect, and their spirits are all about supporting the team.
    Necros that want a support focus will build heavily for Wells, particularly aimed at controlling conditions and boons.
    Warriors that want a support focus will build for Shouts and Banners, and will grab a Warhorn, but they still won't provide a lot of healing, specifically, to a group.
    Exactly, which goes back to profession doesn't matter, every class can provide sufficient support if the player chooses to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Exactly, which goes back to profession doesn't matter, every class can provide sufficient support if the player chooses to.
    but they still won't provide a lot of healing, specifically, to a group.
    Just, from what I've seen, Guardians are second-to-none at preventing damage, while water Elementalists are second-to-none at healing damage, and those specific factors will make them highly desired if no other profession can provide the same kind of support.
    Emphasis here!

Well I agree Fencers but you know people will take the path of least resistance. And if that means taking a support oriented Guardian and Elementalist then you can bet that is what the LFG will be bottlenecked for.
    Sure. Players.

I do not think it is fair to say Anet failed if such roles [professions] were/are simply desired. Desirability != requirement. There's a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Did anyone else find the diving board in Lions Arch? At the top of the structure just before the diving board there was something you could pick up and equip, like an environmental weapon. When you jumped off the diving board your skill bar changed and you got 2 buttons that literally made you do flips and shit as you fell to the water.
    Oh man, I missed that weapon, I was in too much of a hurry to leap off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Sure. Players.

I do not think it is fair to say Anet failed if such roles [professions] were/are simply desired. Desirability != requirement. There's a big difference.
    Just because they're not technically a requirement does not mean that the playerbase will not come to treat them like one.

Just because they're not technically a requirement does not mean that the playerbase will not come to treat them like one.
    Correct. Players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct. Players.
    Precisely. ANet needs to prevent players from doing exactly that. :P

Take this as a grain of salt, but http://kotaku.com/5910509/guild-wars...8-release-date , note for people who decide not to read it thinking it is just a date, it is a printed date poster or whatever. Why would Fry's printed such a thing if it might not have a good idea or ANet gave them a good indication on when it gets released? Note that the date fits the 3 day ahead release for pre-orders for a release for everyone the next Tuesday. Do I believe this date? No idea, I have always been hearing some kind of late June release date. However I think with the way I have seen closed beta testing for MMOs (Tera, SWTOR, MoP, etc), it seems too early of a date.
    Last edited by Theendgamelv3; 2012-05-15 at 10:10 PM.

June 28th would blow my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    June 28th would blow my mind.
    ^what she said.

Fry's would print such a thing to make money. Businesses do things with the goal of making money. It's worth noting that the poster does not come even close to GW2's art style.

Printing it as June 28th to match the June 26th expiration date is the kind of thing a marketing person would do to make it seem real. Just because those codes expire June 26th does not mean that the game releases then, it just means you're expected to use the codes by a certain date. Using the codes means: registering the code with your e-mail and registering your account and therefore preventing anybody else from being able to use said code.

I focused on pvp (that's what I'm gonna focus on when it releases so yea...) and I came across a team from the (ugly) guild who were running guardian, staff ele, eng, 2*pistol thief
    The eng and the guardian stood at a point each and the other three were running around slaughtering people.

Couldn't really do much since everyone kept going for the bloody thieves or tried to solo a guardian specced for survival...

Regarding release dates, to me the game feels very ready already. I've not expirienced any issues since the first BWE. I could believe a june release but i'm expecting it in august tbh.

P.S. 2*thieves + fire staff ele = PAIN
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2012-05-15 at 10:27 PM.

From that Kotaku article, there was an update...

Update: Here's a statement from NCsoft: "We have not released an official launch date within 2012 as feedback from our closed and open marketing betas will help us determine an exact release date. We will release Guild Wars 2 when it is ready."
    I forgot there was going to be an open beta too! Argh. Unless it's hot on the heels of a closed beta, that'll probably push things back ~a month or so too, I reckon.