Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Thief doesn't stand out when you're from the streets as a human, actually. In fact, since you're part (or formerly part) of a gang, it seems like you HAVE to be a Thief. Just as a Thief in Blood or Iron Legion might stand out.
    It doesn't even make sense for a noble to be a thief, after all - why steal when you're already well off, unless you just do it for the fun?

It's part of why I wish the profession was Assassin or Blademaster.

Awww, I went over 8,888...
    There's also a lot of inconsistencies in the human intro. If you pick the street rat origin, for example. How the blippering-bloit of a void does it make sense that you were adopted and never found your real parents? Or that your sister was something I assume is akin to a guard or something? It just doesn't make sense!
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    If you pick the street rat origin, for example. How the blippering-bloit of a void does it make sense that you were adopted and never found your real parents?
    That's more common than you'd think.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    There's also a lot of inconsistencies in the human intro. If you pick the street rat origin, for example. How the blippering-bloit of a void does it make sense that you were adopted and never found your real parents? Or that your sister was something I assume is akin to a guard or something? It just doesn't make sense!
    Yeah I haven't been more turned off by a race in an MMO since I first learned you could make Gnomes in WoW. Not only are they totally uninteresting (imo obviously) but they don't directly connect to any of their classes. They're just kind of there one day and they happen to be the profession that they have. DON'T QUESTION IT!

Just seems weird. I guess it works perfectly for the people who are more or less here for the dress-up factor. I dunno, I couldn't get into them regardless of how hard I tried. Luckily, Charr seem to be a perfect fit.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 02:37 PM ----------

I think he's more or less referring to how the "Streets" origin kind of makes it seem like you're completely orphaned and homeless. Where'd the adopted parents go? Not a big deal, but it's a hell of a hole.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Well, I still find it slightly unrealistic that you have parents who cared enough to adopt you but let you roam the streets or that you care that much about your sister if she did nothing to help you off the streets herself. It's just a very awkward combination, I feel. It shows that the Charr, especially, had a lot more work put into their background and theme. The Norn are tolerable, but not quite at the Charr level and the human are last inspite of a good lore in terms of their current condition after centuries(?) of being beated to a pulp.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

As someone that was adopted yet still grew up below the poverty line, yeah it's not really unheard of even in our modern day world. The sister being successful, well off, making it while you're down in the dumps is a little cliche, but it's not that big of a stretch to believe either.

They're overusing stereotypical tropes, but the real problem is the lack of tying them into their professions. Humans, in generally any RPG, have this problem, because so much effort goes into describing what makes those other guys so cool and interesting, rather than "Human with cat ear". Plus, in this game specifically, they went out of their way to make Profession choice have zero impact on personal story, and from a design perspective it just makes sense. I can't really fault them for that, just acknowledge that it's not the most exciting system in the world.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    I will admit, profession needs to play a bigger role in the personal story. Especially your one profession choice. It would be nice if Anon Hood causes me to be part of an assassin's guild instead of a gang of street thugs, for example.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

^^ Did that amazingly for classes. Bounty Hunter, Trooper, Sith Inq and Agent were fucking brilliant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boredisboring13 View Post
    Are any Asura/Sylvari fans out there starting to have conflicting feelings?

This may be blasphemy but I've grown attached to my Human Mesmer in beta, so much so that I'm starting to consider replicating him exactly for the actual game. I don't want to abandon my Asura Mesmer, but I'm starting to doubt my conviction
    Yeah, I like my human too. I love the idea of Sylvari...but if they look too alien (in a non-aesthetically pleasing way) then I'll be less interested. The Sylvari hair is causing me some concern...so far I've pretty much only seen mad-hair, which is a deal breaker for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

^^ Did that amazingly for classes. Bounty Hunter, Trooper, Sith Inq and Agent were fucking brilliant.
    The Agent story was one of the best Ive experienced in any game I think. Simply brilliant. With the SW coming a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    I was in the same boat. I didn't want to pick a charr since it seemed to be the overwhelmingly popular race... but I took the time to watch all of the opening intro combinations... and damn. The charr sold me on every one of theirs. The first time I heard "With our engines of destruction, we killed our gods..." I had shivers. The overall feel to them was just amazing.
    I liked Charr before they were cool. Like, when everyone hated them with a passion during Prophecies. Their intro is just all around amazing... "in this world of constant battle, I am the deadliest weapon of all," or "we reclaimed our homeland of Ascalon and planted victory banners in the graves of our enemies." Then you go and watch the Human one and think "hah no wonder the Charr destroyed this entire weakling race." At least the Norn intro is entertaining... drinking and boasting of my victories, hell yeah! Just not quite as awesome as the Charr.

I enjoyed the Agent story. The others not so much.

Still doesn't compare to single player games in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Water/Earth Ele is really, really good. Can duo dungeons with a Water/Earth Ele and any decent kiting class like Engineer or Rifle Warrior.

As a 5 man group; 1 Ele, 2 Engies, 1 Mes and 1 Guardian was ridiculous. Blanket healing and control trumped everything in the beta we came across. Because of the simple nature of the PVE, any amount of healing is highly useful.

The strategy of every mob is simply, kiting & health regen.
    Is the ele a staff ele?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I liked Charr before they were cool. Like, when everyone hated them with a passion during Prophecies. Their intro is just all around amazing... "in this world of constant battle, I am the deadliest weapon of all," or "we reclaimed our homeland of Ascalon and planted victory banners in the graves of our enemies." Then you go and watch the Human one and think "hah no wonder the Charr destroyed this entire weakling race." At least the Norn intro is entertaining... drinking and boasting of my victories, hell yeah! Just not quite as awesome as the Charr.
    So far it's been my experience that everyone loves them... but most end up rolling a human anyway. I think respecting a race and wanting to be one day in and day out aren't always the same. I was in plenty of Spvp matches where I was the only charr on either side. Can't say I could complain about this.

For the Ash Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far it's been my experience that everyone loves them... but most end up rolling a human anyway. I think respecting a race and wanting to be one day in and day out aren't always the same. I was in plenty of Spvp matches where I was the only charr on either side. Can't say I could complain about this.

For the Ash Legion.
    You Ash Legion whelps are cowards. Blood Legion gets the real work done!

You Ash Legion whelps are cowards. Blood Legion gets the real work done!
    Indeed! Rytlock Brimstone's presence as the Tribune makes it an obvious choice to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Is the ele a staff ele?
    Staff and wand/focus for my sis, dagger/focus and staff for her husband. Spec'd into water and air, respectively.

Deleted

For the Ash Legion.
    This was what I found too. My dad for example really liked the idea of a Charr, but once he saw them in motion and visited the black citadel and their areas he just... couldn't play it. I was torn between Norn and Charr but playing the Charr... I'm so in love with everything about them.

Also, let the Blood Legion fools do what they wish, I'll stay in the shadows.
    Ash Legion intro makes me want to shout 'YEAAAAH' every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Also, let the Blood Legion fools do what they wish, I'll stay in the shadows.
    We'll watch as they willingly throw their bodies into the fray. Let the Iron legion sit restlessly in their toys of gears and steam.

Our strikes are perfect and fatal. Our attacks are lethal and precise. While the others charge screaming to their own inevitable deaths, our battles are over before they begin. The entire tide of conflict is shifted from the embrace of the shadow. Let them bark over empty glory. This world doesn't need another hero.

Have fun skulking in the shadows while the Blood Legion gets the real work done!

Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be interesting, however, to mix it up non-traditionally. A pistol Thief who went with the Iron Legion for their artillery advancements, for example, or an Ash Legion warrior wielding a greatsword who only entered conflict when completely necessary.

See, this is the character freedom that I just can't get excited about with the other two races. The humans just kind of exists and the Norns won't shut up about drinking and pride.