10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    They may have commercials, may not. GW2 isn't a big budget AAA game like WoW or SWTOR. It's not low budget either by any means, it's just not as high as WoW or SWTOR.
    It's not? By what standard does a game become AAA?
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-19 at 03:06 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO it's a better idea to run TV commercials once the initial rush subsides and servers stabilise.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    games that we're developed with a significantly large budget.
    Not like we have any actual numbers, but when the comparison is WoW and SWTOR, I would assume the development budget isn't especially high.

Deleted
    This may be a silly question, but I just bought GW2 and I was wondering how the servers work. Are there separate clients for EU/US servers? I want to play with my friend in the US - does that mean he will need to buy the EU version to play with me, or are all servers accessible to everyone? Thanks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeryth View Post
    This may be a silly question, but I just bought GW2 and I was wondering how the servers work. Are there separate clients for EU/US servers? I want to play with my friend in the US - does that mean he will need to buy the EU version to play with me, or are all servers accessible to everyone? Thanks.
    There are different clients for EU and US, yes, but you can play on any server (EU or US) you want no matter which client you have. So all servers are accessible to everyone. You'll be able to play with your friends in the US no problem. I did this already during the beta weekends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not like we have any actual numbers, but when the comparison is WoW and SWTOR, I would assume the development budget isn't especially high.
    I think GW2 might have a comparable budget to Vanilla WoW. It probably has less than SWTOR, just because of the all the voice acting. Really, MMOs are so expensive to make, I think it's better to judge AAA on the MMO's quality. All 3 examples probably cost much more than any of the AAA+ games listed in the link I posted. AAA is sort of arbitrary though...
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I think GW2 might have a comparable budget to Vanilla WoW. It probably has less than SWTOR, just because of the all the voice acting. Really, MMOs are so expensive to make, I think it's better to judge AAA on the MMO's quality. All 3 examples probably cost much more than any of the AAA+ games listed in the link I posted. AAA is sort of arbitrary though...
    Vanilla WoW maybe, but the amount spent on developing games has went up since then. Iunno. Ask Fencers, I think I've seen her call it a AA MMO at some point and she's smarter than me. Then again, I could be completely wrong and she could have reconsidered by now. Either way, I don't really consider it a AAA game when compared to SWTOR or modern WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    There are different clients for EU and US
    They're the same. Only serial numbers have a region flag.

You can play on EU or US servers without restriction. The only requirement is you have to buy a copy from your region for authentication on first log in, after that you can login from anywhere in the world.

More info here:
    http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app...tail/a_id/9184
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-08-19 at 03:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    There are different clients for EU and US, yes, but you can play on any server (EU or US) you want no matter which client you have. So all servers are accessible to everyone. You'll be able to play with your friends in the US no problem. I did this already during the beta weekends.
    Thanks a lot! I'm really pleased about this, can't tell you the trouble I had trying to play other games with my American friends! +1 for GW2, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    They're the same.

You can play on EU or US servers without restriction. The only requirement is you have to buy a copy from your region for authentication on first log in, after that you can login from anywhere in the world.

More info here:
    http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app...tail/a_id/9184
    This confuses me, actually. If someone from the UK logged into my account to set my character names due to me missing the headstart, would that be a problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    This confuses me, actually. If someone from the UK logged into my account to set my character names due to me missing the headstart, would that be a problem?
    If they log in before you and you have a US serial, yes.

If they log in before you and you have a US serial, yes.
    .. well.. that sucks. Time to beg Kelesti to save names for me.

Not having the advertisement and distribution power of Blizzard and EA is one standard.

Deleted
    Nu na na nu na na nunananii... ♪ ♫ ♪

I seem to have lost my ability to post anything constructive... so here we go again: How I feel about choosing a character as male mesmer...

~source

So how does this 24 hour name reserve feature work? If you literally spam through all the character creation screens and grab the name at the end, then delete that character, only your account can use that name for 24 hours on a new character?

Would it not make more sense for the game to allow you to pick and check the name is available and reserve it before you begin to set up the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post

I seem to have lost my ability to post anything constructive... so here we go again: How I feel about choosing a character as male mesmer...
    *snip*
    ~source
    Yay, someone understands me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get out of whatever it is you have to do

Deleted
    Reasonabley sure a USA VPN will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post

~source
    I always feel the females are boring. Male Mesmers are koool.

Just get out of whatever it is you have to do
    No one else can take my shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Reasonabley sure a USA VPN will fix the problem.
    Probably, but I'm not going to ask her to set that up then switch it back for her account when I can ask someone 2hours away from me to do it instead. xD
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-08-19 at 04:39 PM.