Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    I`ve read reviews of Skyrin & TW2, both games getting said they have little depth to it in one way or another, yet if you do something, it can & does change everything on some level.
    In gw2, despite the manifesto saying this isn`t an mmo where you see a boss/npc etc die & ten minutes later, it just appears yet again.

Erm....but....that`s exactly what happens!

I`d never really thought of it before, but yep it is shallow. Who actually feels like the hero in game? Hell, even in the story, you`re barely mentioned & that sodding awful walking pile of wood Trehearne gets more of a mention than anyone/thing else lol
    so kind of like every themepark mmo in existence

again, it's a problem with mmos. mmorpgs should be worlds to play in, not single player games with terrible repeatable questing mechanics. The only redeemable aspect about mmos is the community that you play with. That is the only reason why I even play them. If not for the idea of playing in an online world with thousands of other people I would throw every mmo that I have into the virtual garbage. they really are shit games

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The only redeemable aspect about mmos is the community that you play with. That is the only reason why I even play them. If not for the idea of playing in an online world with thousands of other people I would throw every mmo that I have into the virtual garbage. they really are shit games
    Most MMOs are bad. However, I think it's worth breaking things down a little more finely.

Because the MMO genre as a whole can be very, very broad. From MMORPGs to MMOFPS to MMORs. There is a lot in the genre that is designed around the principle aspect of an MMO as a genre- cooperative online play in a persistent rule set.

Now it is the case that many MMORPGs are extremely bad. Though this may be due to the sheer volume of MMORPGs over say MMORs, MMOAAs or MMOBAs.

In other words there are a lot more Everquest derived games in the genre than Firefall derived games. The MMO genre itself is vast enough to incorporate varying sets of play mechanics within that singular genre identifier.

It is fair to say one dislikes Rift, Guild Wars 1, Planetside, The Secret World, Everquest 2 or even World of Warcraft. Though it would be intellectually dishonest to posit that any of those are poorly designed. From a mechanical POV those games achieve their design goals with excellence.

I don't really care for Planetside or World of Warcraft, for example, but those are well made games of the genre. In their style.

As for the would-be PS/WoWs of your generic GAs and Allods-- well, yes. Those would be relatively poor games in the genre.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-21 at 03:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Valar morghulis

What, a storm in a glass of water?

(I'm sorry it was just too easy)

For me the music is good in either game, the problem is that in GW2 whenever you zone somewhere it gets janked into another type of music. I remember during beta's just having the loader open and play the same song over and over and not caring at all, now my music is turned off as usual.

Gameplay wise for me GW2 and Skyrim suffer from the same "unpolished" feeling, the difference is that in Skyrim it's OK, if you craft yourself to being a deity. You become so strong by optimizing that everything is a joke and that's fine.
    In GW2 the game is a joke regardless of optimization, it just brings it out more.

Basically every source of "depth" in GW2 isn't enough and in Skyrim it's sort of too much (but it's a sandbox so it doesn't matter).

All in all what I want in an MMO is what anime portray as MMO's, sadly it's a fantasy that I doubt we'll ever turn into a reality.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Gameplay wise for me GW2 and Skyrim suffer from the same "unpolished" feeling, the difference is that in Skyrim it's OK, if you craft yourself to being a deity. You become so strong by optimizing that everything is a joke and that's fine.
    In GW2 the game is a joke regardless of optimization, it just brings it out more.

Basically every source of "depth" in GW2 isn't enough and in Skyrim it's sort of too much (but it's a sandbox so it doesn't matter).
    The most appropriate quote I ever heard in regards to Skyrim can be applied to GW2 as well; The width of an ocean, yet the depth of a puddle.

That isn't to say I personally have an issue with the difficulty of either game or dislike like them in any way. Though from a gameplay perspective both lack complexity in core rules.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...anuary-21-2014

I'm going to wait 2 days when I am not sick
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    And here I was expecting the crit dmg> ferocity change along with the breaking of my 3 lvl 80's traits. Im glad i get to keep those for a while longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I was under the impression that the crit damage change (and trait changes) will be after all of the Scarlet content patches are done.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I was under the impression that the crit damage change (and trait changes) will be after all of the Scarlet content patches are done.
    I wasnt aware just got back to the game last Friday, took a break since October. And im not trying to throw them under the bus but my guildies kinda misinformed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Here's another fun one I logged into today:

I don't know how we were holding that one tower in EBG, and apparently that one camp we had was on EBBL. O_o
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

If you want to make money, buy dyes now. There's a huge crash since A-net decided to make'm purchasable again from the store.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Er, made which purchasable? The F&F ones? I bought some the last time they were 're-issued'. I suppose that means it's yet another investment I won't see a return on in a very long time. Have I mentioned how much I hate GW2's economy? :P

Anyway, I only have 100g left to my name and I swore I was not going to try to make money anymore in this game because I lose it all almost every time.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The F&F ones are purchasable again for gems, but this means that the dyes you can get from those packages have dropped in price by a factor 3 which might make it worthwhile to invest in buying the dyes (and not the gem packs) for later sale.

mmm my dwayna and grenth backpiece recipes are 10g each now

excellent....

If memory serves, they were at 30 and 20 yesterday or the day before.

Edit: Dwayna was 35g and Grenth was 23, yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    The skins from SAB have really shot up and holy moley am I glad I bought a couple of those light monocles!

Not even going to discuss the ghastly grinning shield, ye gods 1800g.
    Valar morghulis

I wish a-net would just tell us what they're going to do with crit damage so I can craft my second set of ascended gear. It's annoying to be sitting on all these mats and have a quite nice DPS boost ready but not being able to craft it due to some patch somewhere in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    If memory serves, they were at 30 and 20 yesterday or the day before.

Edit: Dwayna was 35g and Grenth was 23, yesterday.
    lolwut

I checked monday and it was 10g

holy shit, I should of farmed more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I wish a-net would just tell us what they're going to do with crit damage so I can craft my second set of ascended gear. It's annoying to be sitting on all these mats and have a quite nice DPS boost ready but not being able to craft it due to some patch somewhere in the future...
    Yea the patch is 3-5 months down the line

By that time I'll have the mats to get my war, ele and mesmer in ascended...

It might be because I'm light armour, but getting ascended mats without going broke has not been easy for me.