Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    If you approach the game like a standard mmo with the standard end game then you will be disappointed. The developers don't want the game changing at max level from the rest of the game. With the sidekick system you'll never truly out level the content. So really the end game starts at level 1. Personally I thought they should have done away with levels but some people seem to like that archaic system.
    I can tell you why players like me enjoy this "archaic system." I like starting from nothing and forming a character that becomes powerful. Levels are the most common way of showing that your character is getting stronger over time. It's a simple, and easy to understand way of guiding players along and giving them a sense of advancement. A sense that all the actions they've taken part in have actually made their character stronger and/or more knowledgeable.

I certainly respect that point of view, noahjam, and you are in the majority I think. For myself, I'm tired of the whole level system of advancement. That's why I'm looking forward to TSW because of the no levels (and no classes). That and GW2 are the two mmos that I'm most looking forward to.

If you approach the game like a standard mmo with the standard end game then you will be disappointed. The developers don't want the game changing at max level from the rest of the game. With the sidekick system you'll never truly out level the content. So really the end game starts at level 1. Personally I thought they should have done away with levels but some people seem to like that archaic system.
    I can see the appeal of an MMO being structured this way, but to pull that off, Anet's going to have to be on the ball with releasing new content fast, and of top quality. Say I create a character, and over 2 months I get him to the max leveling, experience all I could during this time, now what? I could continue playing this character, but what is there left to experience? I could create a new character, but in the end I would be experiencing the same content, just from a different point of view.

The point I'm trying to make is, if Anet intends to have "leveling content" in what normally would be "end game content" they can, and if they pull it off right GW2 is going to make an explosion on the MMO market, but it'll only take a few mistakes the make their whole idea one big bore-fest in weeks.

You won't be experiencing all the same content on an alt - you will most likely run across different dynamic events, no two days are ever the same remember.

I honestly think it's a case of simply redistributing the fun.

Wow: race to 85, then dungeons/raids for pve gear, arena/bgs for pvp. WoW is kinda top-heavy, if that makes sense? And how quickly do some of us get bored at 85? Plus after the first time levelling gets pretty boring, especially the higher you get the fewer zones you have to choose from.

GW2: lots of variety from lvl1. Dynamic events, pvp, personal story. At 80, 3 new dungeons unlock, and I imagine there will be achieves and stuff, but you will continue to explore, play new dynamic events, etc.

Based on what I've read so far, I would say GW2 is going to be fun earlier on than wow. My feeling is that GW2 also offers more content: viable pvp levelling right from lvl1, personal story (which is a feature wow doesn't really have), and then a ton of dynamic events (I heard 1500 mentioned once) to ensure levelling is always varied, and even once you hit 80, there will be a LOT of bosses you haven't killed/events you haven't done. Remember, events are not all low level. There will be ones in all zones, including high level ones. And, as events scale, even lower ones won't feel like a walk in the park. Going back to a lvl20 zone as a lvl80 char won't be anything like going back to STV as a lvl85 in wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Dungeons from level 30 is terrible idea. How the people will learn to play in team?

That's my greatest fear of the game: Dynamic Events. When I first heard of them, they seemed like something special, something different, exactly what Anet was pushing for. But now, I have a lot of concerns that the entire game may end up being one big slew of dynamic events. but what happens if you don't fancy any current dynamic events? Do a dungeon? Dungeons themselves are pretty much group DE's. PvP? Unless you want to do some 5v5 structured PvP, you're faced with WvWvW, which again, itself is just a big DE.

In general I really do have high hopes for GW2. I plan on purchasing it, since it's just a single purchase to try it out. I'm just afraid the game may not have the replay ability I'm hoping for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    That's my greatest fear of the game: Dynamic Events. When I first heard of them, they seemed like something special, something different, exactly what Anet was pushing for. But now, I have a lot of concerns that the entire game may end up being one big slew of dynamic events. but what happens if you don't fancy any current dynamic events? Do a dungeon? Dungeons themselves are pretty much group DE's. PvP? Unless you want to do some 5v5 structured PvP, you're faced with WvWvW, which again, itself is just a big DE.

In general I really do have high hopes for GW2. I plan on purchasing it, since it's just a single purchase to try it out. I'm just afraid the game may not have the replay ability I'm hoping for.
    From what we've seen so far DE's are not going to be something you can like or not like. There's a lot of variety in them, like there's a lot of variety in normal quests. Probably even more than that.

And, at the risk of repeating myself, remember the personal story This is your own, individual story, and does appear to have quests. So if you don't fancy helping fight off a load of centaurs, you can go develop your character in some way.

In the end, if you hate dynamic events, GW2 is probably not for you. Just like if you hate quests, WoW is gonna be pretty miserable. I would say the strength of GW2 is that it really does offer a big range of stuff to do, that can be done in a group or solo, at any level. But in the end, of course there will be people for whom GW2 is not the right game :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Deleted
    @Underskilled, I think you need to realise that GW2 end game is not going to be the same as every other MMO, you won't reach max level and do an endless gear grind just to get better stats. For endgame theres dungeons, PvP and the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Dungeons from level 30 is terrible idea. How the people will learn to play in team?
    Well, people will be playing as a team from the very beginning in Dynamic Events which are designed for groups to work on together. Classes are also designed to have a natural synergy with cross-class combos and such.

Regardless, whether your first dungeon is at level 15, level 30, or level 99 there's always going to be a "First Time" where you'll have a bit of trial by fire. How did you learn to work as a team in WoW? Well, most people do it by looking it up online- not in game.

---------- Post added 2011-05-12 at 12:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Personally I love the idea of the DEs. Certainly if someone ends up NOT liking them, then GW2 probably isn't the right game for them. It's what the entire game is built around. You can challenge yourself with dungeons set at the highest difficulty level, but the game isn't being designed so that people are always farming dungeons in some kind of 'endgame'.

Also, I think Arenanet has said that basically because there's no subscription fee to GW2 that it's okay if you want to take a break. They're not trying to force people to always be subbed, always chasing gear behind artificial barriers, etc like in WoW. There's no pressure to be playing every day for the next 5 years, even though there's going to be an enormous amount,

---------- Post added 2011-05-12 at 12:03 PM ----------

Personally I thought they should have done away with levels but some people seem to like that archaic system.
    I agree, but at least it seems like they're tried to make levels as meaningless as they can, so that's good.
    Last edited by jealouspirate; 2011-05-12 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Martin Kerstein: "Something comparable to AION will definitely not be possible in our game. That said, it will be possible to make one’s character a bit birulier, a little more chubby, or more slender. You will definitely be able to create your bald character, I take care of that! Our character creator will be quite extensive. One of the reasons is our art team saying that this is the visual style they want and to that belongs a certain kind of aesthetics. Because of that, you will not be able to create a toothless, one-eyed ragged warrior, because that would not fit into the general aesthetics which our artists aim for. But there will definitely be enough adjustments possible, so you do not have to run around looking like a supermodel."
    Wait, does that mean I can't create something like this?

Aww...

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    In the end, if you hate dynamic events, GW2 is probably not for you. Just like if you hate quests, WoW is gonna be pretty miserable. I would say the strength of GW2 is that it really does offer a big range of stuff to do, that can be done in a group or solo, at any level. But in the end, of course there will be people for whom GW2 is not the right game :-)
    pretty much this. From what I can gather there are three different roads to take to level up. quests, dynamic events and pvp (which sounds amazing) So they have their bases covered for content. Dungeon are there but are done in 5 man groups maybe more, haven't heard much about dungeons yet. What I have heard and do like is how you don't need to do dungeons to get decent gear. Dungeons rewards are gear sets and for enjoyment. Not like wow where you doing you daily dungeon grind for emblems.

the more I hear about what they are trying to do in GW2 the more I like it, and the more I hate it how its a long way away before we can get our hands on it.

Nevertheless, the developers haven't given so far a meaningful answer how the quests will be protected from griefing. What will stop level 80 to come to level 10 area and wreck the events there?

Nevertheless, the developers haven't given so far a meaningful answer how the quests will be protected from griefing. What will stop level 80 to come to level 10 area and wreck the events there?
    You get de-leveled (if that's the word). If a level 80 runs into a level 20 event, they'll get a stat reduction etc etc which will cause them to be around the 20-25 mark.

Deleted
    I really think you should just go onto the GW2 site, and just look there, your questions are all answered there. Do you really have any interest in playing any of the games that are coming out, since all you seem to do is put them down.

I'm really not sure why you continue to post in this thread. You easily know the answers to the questions you ask, yet continue to post ignorant questions and statments.

*Sigh*

They've actually gone to great length to design events so that they can't be griefed and have explained it many times. For example, they once had the idea of a stealth-based DE but found that it was too easy to grief so it was removed.

As someone above me said, if you're level 80 and go start killing things in a level 10 area you will immediately be (temporarily) de-leveled to about level 10-15 or so. This serves two purposes:

1) Prevents griefing
    2) Allows you to meaningfully participate and experience events in low level zones that you might have missed. Essentially, it means that you can never out-level content and that every zone is relevant regardless of what level you are.

Edit: The entire game is built from the ground up to prevent griefing. It was one of the main goals of Arenanet when making GW2. You can't ruin someone else's event, you can't steal kills or loot because there's no mob tagging and anyone who attacks a mob can loot it, even resource nodes (like ore) are instanced for the individual player so that you can't steal a node from someone. Arenanet's major goal was that seeing another player would ALWAYS be a good thing, never a frustrating thing.
    Last edited by jealouspirate; 2011-05-12 at 12:54 PM.

I have a great idea! Let's all ignore Tackhisis from now on as all he can do is spout nonsense.

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-flann...ions#more-2144
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...&postcount=109

Congratulations on once again not knowing what you're talking about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I have a great idea! Let's all ignore Tackhisis from now on as all he can do is spout nonsense.
    Even better, report him for trolling.