This is kinda offtopic but since I'm updating for the gw2 release I guess it kinda fits. I just took apart my entire PC and put it back together starting with the CPU, I freaked when it didn't turn on but after awhile of banging my head against the wall I noticed I was using a 6pin power connection instead of an 8 pin that my mobo requires! I am so happy right now!

I'm confident now in my computer building powers to play gw2 on a new beast of a computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodygrinder View Post
    after awhile of banging my head against the wall I noticed I was using a 6pin power connection instead of an 8 pin that my mobo requires!
    Stupid new fangled computers. The PS/2 model 50 had it right, plug the motherboard into the power supply

Last edited by Mif; 2012-02-02 at 07:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    No, it's not doable without grind.

You can buy a lot of the stuff to get the points but as a new player you won't have any cash for it, so you will need to grind.
    I wasn't sure, but it is technically correct if you have the platinum.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Eye of the north at level 10... SUCKS.

/sigh

Do I have to display anything in HoM to get the actual reward when GW2 comes out. Or do I just need to collect them.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

/sigh

Do I have to display anything in HoM to get the actual reward when GW2 comes out. Or do I just need to collect them.
    Display, so you'll need to complete the campaign. Or you buy them.

/sigh

You'll need tapestries for each monument in order to display stuff so you'll need to complete main mission arcs in EOTN.

Deleted

/sigh

You need to display them or else they don't count, also you need to log out to update your progress on the HoM calc site.

/sigh

You get boosted up to lvl 20 though...so it should be fine for you See the lil buff at the top left of ur screen.

And you get the tapistries when you complete each racial section of the quest line, asura, norn and the vanguard. I don't know how you get the other tapestries yet as I've only received 4 so far, and not completed the last 3 EoTN quests.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-02-03 at 03:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    You get boosted up to lvl 20 though...so it should be fine for you See the lil buff at the top left of ur screen.

And you get the tapistries when you complete each racial section of the quest line, asura, norn and the vanguard. I don't know how you get the other tapestries yet as I've only received 4 so far, and not completed the last 3 EoTN quests.
    Even though you get boosted to 20, doesnt mean you have a lot of skills. Which is the key point in guildwars, not levels. :\

10+ Year Old Account

/sigh

Get to the first brawl mini game with Kilroy, that will get you to level 20 quick (and net you some decent skills if you're a warrior.)
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Get to the first brawl mini game with Kilroy, that will get you to level 20 quick (and net you some decent skills if you're a warrior.)
    Yh...there is that. Which is why I'm having trouble on the third to last mission and have decided to go back to Prophecies lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Yh...there is that. Which is why I'm having trouble on the third to last mission and have decided to go back to Prophecies lol.
    Are you having trouble with Heart of the Shiverpeaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Are you having trouble with Heart of the Shiverpeaks?
    Yes
    Read many strategies on it. Placing ur heroes to minimise aoe damage, running in a circle picking up a barrel then back to him and dropping it, rinse repeat then nuke...to R/N touch strategies to monk prot spirit strategies.
    Not having many skills makes it hard.
    Also, just having trouble implementing anything that works...mostly I think because for some weird reason I'm having ridiculous lag spikes against Cynder. Makes dodging his barrel exploding projectiles problematic. Planning to give it another shot this weekend at a time when lag should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Honestly playing the game as intended will also make you enjoy the game more.

Using tactics that old players use when quickly leveling alts is going to feel like a grind.
    Yes, I came to that conclusion too I've got my heroes now...will prob just go back to prophecies.

Afraid I'm at work right now...but should be on in a couple hrs. Zhen Ormancer is my character Thanks for the offer

/sigh

I'm betting you're a Mesmer, that's basically the hard part.

In your party consisting on 8, and not taking heroes, I'd say take;

You
    Talon Silverwing (Guardian)
    Zho (Interrupt)
    Lina (Protection)
    Mhenlo (Healer)
    Eve (Blood)
    Cynn (Fire)
    Herta (Earth)

Talon will gives a party wide armor buff and block enemies because he's a melee, they are good for that. He can also interrupt.

Zho can interrupt/daze and do some serious spike damage.

Lina is a protector monk, if you take monks, make sure one of them is able to protect well. She has a hard heal for allies under 50%.

Mhenlo is a healer, what Lina can't do, Mhenlo can. He can remove hexes and do some serious healing, please bare in mind that he's still an NPC and still an artard once a while.

Eve is provided for group energy, she sacrifices health in trade for energy, your monks will love her.

Cynn is providing AoE Damage and has a last resort health regen shout.

Herta is very helpfull (atleast until you have 8 heroes and quite some skills), her Ward Against Melee is very helpful, enemy melee's have 50% to miss attacks so this ward will provide a lot of protection, stand in it at all times (well, except if your enemies starts AoE nuking the hell out of it ofc.)

So you got Vekk and Ogden (perhaps M.O.X.) but you miss the skills for them, you can take the henchman set-up I took until you've received some more skills.

In bigger city's there will be a Hero Skill Trader (every time you gain a reputation rank, you're granted hero skill points) use them in favor for your important heroes, and look at the skill before you choose. I'd say go for the Monk skills as first.

In Eye of the North;

Get for Monk: Aegis - Infuse Health.
    Get for Elementalist: Ward Against Melee for Vekk (if he doesn't have it already, also get Vekk to be an Earth Elementalist, survival > Damage) - Glyph of Lesser Energy

At this point these are your most important skills, when everything is going well you can spend points as you choose, but I'd give priority to Monk Skills.

Nightfall also has Hero Skill Trainers.

Good luck!

Deleted
    And once you have enough heroes and you're getting better at GW1:

http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki --> PvE builds by category --> Hero --> Meta and/or Great

Once you have the right heroes, builds and equipment you can steamroll through almost anything in GW1. Heart of the Shiverpeaks really shouldn't be a problem tbh..

Came across this picture on my wiki, I loved that game

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Get for Monk: Aegis - Infuse Health.
    Get for Elementalist: Ward Against Melee for Vekk (if he doesn't have it already, also get Vekk to be an Earth Elementalist, survival > Damage) - Glyph of Lesser Energy
    i agree with aegis as a must-have skill but while heroes/henchies are OP as hell when it comes to using their interrupts, i believe they suck quite hard when it comes to using skills such as infuse health (not to mention they sometimes use it as they're already below 50% hp) or zealous benediction and the such, i'd rather tell some new guy to spend a few gold to buy patient spirit from a eotn skill trainer if they can, as well as including power drain (which should be unlocked thanks to gwen at that point) or glyph of lesser energy in every monk hero build for energy management - the latter might be nice at first as it's quite reliable and allows to max healing and divine favor scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    And once you have enough heroes and you're getting better at GW1:

http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki --> PvE builds by category --> Hero --> Meta and/or Great

Once you have the right heroes, builds and equipment you can steamroll through almost anything in GW1. Heart of the Shiverpeaks really shouldn't be a problem tbh..
    I'll take a look at those builds...but most of what I've seen seems to assume ur levelling an alt on an account that has everything already unlocked. I'm sure they'll be some useful pointers though
    Atm my main issue seems to be some ridiculously high lag when facing him. Normally I'm about 200 (which is good for my location) for Cyndar it jumps to 2k and makes his attacks unavoidable.
    But I'll soldier on till I find a way to down him

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Stupid new fangled computers. The PS/2 model 50 had it right, plug the motherboard into the power supply

-snip-
    Ya, I guess I was panicking since it was my first time rebuilding a pc to notice something as simple as the wrong connection. I guess it was a stroke of luck though since I also found my mobo's manual all dusty in an obscure bookshelf, going through it made me realize I had my case connected incorrectly so no damage there!

By the way, anyone notice Zojja's golem? Looks badass