Was there not a video where Totalbiscuit stated that they are indeed reducing the insane amount of particle effects, or was I just hearing things?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    Was there not a video where Totalbiscuit stated that they are indeed reducing the insane amount of particle effects, or was I just hearing things?
    Ah yes, rather interested to see if this has been fixed yet as well.

It's been toned down a lot from the 1st press beta weekend but I hope they also add a slider of some sort for the people who liked it and for those who want it even lower
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinare View Post
    i just find that sad just seems like a cop out on anets part less story they need to write even in our world a cop and a cook have different stories to tell but a warlock and a guardian wont it is just sad.
    ? What you're asking for isn't feasible. 8 professions times 5 races = 40 different story lines, unless you're suggesting that races shouldn't have different stories which would be even more strange than professions not having different story lines. That isn't even taking account the questions you're asked in the beginning, so 40 times 3 = 120 different stories... Yeah, not sure about you but I want to get to play this game while I'm still alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    That isn't even taking account the questions you're asked in the beginning, so 40 times 3 = 120 different stories...
    Actually, it's even more complex than that.
    8 professions
    5 races
    2 genders (though we can assume there's no major differences for this)

On top of that:
    every profession has to choose from 1 of 3 cosmetic options (it may be used, it may not be)
    every character is given 5 multiple choice questions, which varies between each race
    (Everybody choose a personality, Humans choose from their 6 gods and their financial standing, Charr choose their warband and their best friend, Norn choose the best quality of a hero and one of the four animal spirits, etc etc)

In the case of human, for example: 8 x 3 x 3 x 6 there are 432 combinations.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-26 at 12:46 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Is WvWvW going on 24/7 or is there an announcement and players can choose to join? Kinda like the 3 tower business in Hellfire vs Wintergrasp

10+ Year Old Account
    Is WvWvW going on 24/7 or is there an announcement and players can choose to join? Kinda like the 3 tower business in Hellfire vs Wintergrasp
    Pretty sure it's 24/7 with each one lasting for 2 weeks.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Pretty sure it's 24/7 with each one lasting for 2 weeks.
    I read t hat one could level only in WvWvW (if the player so chooses to), so if it lasts 2 weeks, what is the down time until the next 'one'?

? What you're asking for isn't feasible. 8 professions times 5 races = 40 different story lines, unless you're suggesting that races shouldn't have different stories which would be even more strange than professions not having different story lines. That isn't even taking account the questions you're asked in the beginning, so 40 times 3 = 120 different stories... Yeah, not sure about you but I want to get to play this game while I'm still alive.

i think you are more likely to play 4 char one an elem one a mesmer one a thief and one lock then you are to play 4 thief one slivari one charr one norn one human

when ever any one says but you can't do that it is to hard is a cop out WoW works why change it and you get a game that is 90% like wow swtor did the story thing right but with out branching paths and the one story for 2 classes was a cop out.

in GW2 i can have 2 chars that have the same story one a thief and one a engineer to me that is stupid. i am sorry i think that is better for a story then the silvari waking up at night vs dawn. 99% of all the paths will all ways be the same but not having a step that makes me a top thief in the world is just cutting out more.

GW2 seems more and more like a game that they are just trying to cut out as much as they can get away with and still have a game.

ps if what drakewurrum is saying and you get 3 options that have you prof as the base then you prof dose effect you story and my statment is moot
    Last edited by Sanguinare; 2012-04-26 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Actually, it's even more complex than that.
    8 professions
    5 races
    2 genders (though we can assume there's no major differences for this)

On top of that:
    every profession has to choose from 1 of 3 cosmetic options (it may be used, it may not be)
    every character is given 5 multiple choice questions, which varies between each race
    (Everybody choose a personality, Humans choose from their 6 gods and their financial standing, Charr choose their warband and their best friend, Norn choose the best quality of a hero and one of the four animal spirits, etc etc)

In the case of human, for example: 8 x 3 x 3 x 6 there are 432 combinations.
    As far as I'm aware not all of those affect the story in any meaningful way. Don't know for certain at any rate, so I just went with the smallest possible outcome, which is still rather large.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinare View Post
    i think you are more likely to play 4 char one an elem one a mesmer one a thief and one lock then you are to play 4 thief one slivari one charr one norn one human

when ever any one says but you can't do that it is to hard is a cop out WoW works why change it and you get a game that is 90% like wow swtor did the story thing right but with out branching paths and the one story for 2 classes was a cop out.

in GW2 i can have 2 chars that have the same story one a thief and one a engineer to me that is stupid. i am sorry i think that is better for a story then the silvari waking up at night vs dawn. 99% of all the paths will all ways be the same but not having a step that makes me a top thief in the world is just cutting out more.

GW2 seems more and more like a game that they are just trying to cut out as much as they can get away with and still have a game.
    What's more likely is someone will play 4 different Professions AND races.

Have a problem with the way they're doing something? Make your own game and do it right. Any excuse you give for not doing so is a cop out. See, I can ask for something completely unrealistic and say any excuse you give is a cop out too.

As far as I'm aware not all of those affect the story in any meaningful way. Don't know for certain at any rate, so I just went with the smallest possible outcome, which is still rather large.
    none of it is meaning full big ass dragon is there fucked up the world kill it...

it is the paths that you use to get there that make it meaning full.

From the ArenaNet blog on WvW:

"Once a battle ends and team rankings are updated, servers are matched up based on their new ranking and a new battle commences. Downtime between these epic battles lasts only a few minutes—just long enough for us to tally the final scores, update the server rankings, and create new matches—so there’s almost always a battle for the Mists going on."

Quote Originally Posted by zardon3001 View Post
    From the ArenaNet blog on WvW:

"Once a battle ends and team rankings are updated, servers are matched up based on their new ranking and a new battle commences. Downtime between these epic battles lasts only a few minutes—just long enough for us to tally the final scores, update the server rankings, and create new matches—so there’s almost always a battle for the Mists going on."

ah nice. besides http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Mists is there any armor or weapon reward?

i don't see those buffs are a long-term incentive to convince players to continue doing wvw. I can tell you that in the first few months, wvw will be a popular place, but what is the long-term benefit of doing wvw?

ah nice. besides http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Mists is there any armor or weapon reward?

i don't see those buffs are a long-term incentive to convince players to continue doing wvw. I can tell you that in the first few months, wvw will be a popular place, but what is the long-term benefit of doing wvw?
    Fun.

Just like the rest of the game.
    Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Fun.

Just like the rest of the game.
    Why is this so hard for people to grasp?
    certain mmo models have brainwashed people sadly.

hopefully they'll snap outta it and play for fun for once

[/COLOR]What's more likely is someone will play 4 different Professions AND races.

Have a problem with the way they're doing something? Make your own game and do it right. Any excuse you give for not doing so is a cop out. See, I can ask for something completely unrealistic and say any excuse you give is a cop out too.
    Just more of but it is too hard why try and sorry just looking at the sigs on mmo cham i see lot of players with say 5 Be and just reading about GW2 i know a lot of people that have a strong conection to one race "charr" then any of the others.

something i all ways like to say how do you know i am not working on an mmo hell i just might be working on one every day that is in no way number one and is a game i am all ways trying to get stuff added too but some of it is about time vs i am not a top guy so i try to just do things that say me in the game. ( just for a clue think redwood city, CA) that is the cool thing about mmos you don't stop working on them.

and this one will destroy your mind i play wow and the game i work on and others. just to name a few. God i try to read as much as i can from all of them but man there is a lot out there.

Well, it's intended to be casual PVP. So the incentive is the same as all simplistic player v player games; entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post
    It's been toned down a lot from the 1st press beta weekend but I hope they also add a slider of some sort for the people who liked it and for those who want it even lower
    I think the perfect solution would be to have an option to tone down everyone elses particle effects very low while its still flashy for yourself, i personally love all the flashyness of it but it is so overkill it does obstruct what you're doing when there is a few people near

Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    I think the perfect solution would be to have an option to tone down everyone elses particle effects very low while its still flashy for yourself, i personally love all the flashyness of it but it is so overkill it does obstruct what you're doing when there is a few people near
    Other way around. It's more important to see your target's effects than your own.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

10+ Year Old Account
    What benefits? What rewards? It's just fun to do man!

I don't think the benefits will be as short-lived or non-consequential as you believe. Consider that these buffs could affect you in Elite DEs, for example.

I was going to say you get Glory and therefore cosmetic rewards, but the wiki claims that Glory is only rewarded through structured pvp.