Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Ah, I only played ME1 for a few hours. Not into outer space stuff too much. Got boring.
    Neither am I, the ME series is one of the very few exceptions.
    I generally have VERY little interest in games that are space or techy future based.
    Specifying techy, because I LOVE post-apocalyptic settings. Pew pew laser guns, however, not so much.

Space is okay when done as comic pulp. The super serious, flat, middle brow bullshit of Mass Effect was zzzZZzzzZZ.

As psyched as I am for GW2, I'd really kill for a nice, quality space MMO (that isn't EVE--I love the idea of EVE, but couldn't get into it ). Don't yall ever feel like the fantasy thing has been done enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    Don't yall ever feel like the fantasy thing has been done enough?
    Nope.
    MMORPG. If 99% of RPG games are fantasy, it's pretty obvious that a large amount of MMORPGs will be fantasy as well. :P

As psyched as I am for GW2, I'd really kill for a nice, quality space MMO (that isn't EVE--I love the idea of EVE, but couldn't get into it ). Don't yall ever feel like the fantasy thing has been done enough?
    I know man, I'd like one also. With 40k Dark Millennium ending up not being an MMO, now Wildstar is what my eyes are set upon.

Just because it has RPG in the name doesn't restrict it to the fantasy genre though. It's just (for me), swords and magic and dragons are starting to get mundane, as funny as that sounds!

10+ Year Old Account
    If I could redo reality I would have made GW2 a star wars game. I was waiting for a good star wars MMO for EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I enjoy the gw2 lore, but SWTOR with GW2s design would have made me cream.

Just because it has RPG in the name doesn't restrict it to the fantasy genre though. It's just (for me), swords and magic and dragons are starting to get mundane, as funny as that sounds!
    I didn't say it restricted it to just fantasy.
    If most RPGs are of the fantasy genre, you can't be surprised that a subgenre of RPGs, which started as primarily fantasy (there weren't any space MMOs for quite some time) will remain primarily fantasy.
    RPGs are still primarily fantasy, and they have been since it became a genre. Fantasy MMORPGs aren't 'dying out' any more than fantasy RPGs are. >.>

Really don't think most MMOs can be called RPGs in any sincere way other than marketing tag.

I do very little role playing or feel my role enforced in just about every popular MMO on the market. RP walking in Sanctum doesn't mean Rift is an RPG, for example.

Really don't think most MMOs can be called RPGs in any sincere way other than marketing tag.

I do very little role playing or feel my role enforced in just about every popular MMO on the market. RP walking in Sanctum doesn't mean Rift is an RPG, for example.
    Meh, I suppose.
    I still don't think fantasy in the MMO genre is anywhere NEAR 'dying' though. I'd sooner say "more MMOs are coming out, allowing for a rider range of settings".

Well, I agree with you on that point. Was merely pointing out MMOs have very little actual RolePlayingGame in them anymore.

By the way, Wildstar is an upcoming MMO said to be fantastic by almost everyone who got a chance to play it at trade shows.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

Looks like a Pixar made MMO w/ great sense of humor. I am looking forward to it quite a lot.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-03 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    heh i enjoyed that trailer fencers XD

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I agree with you on that point. Was merely pointing out MMOs have very little actual RolePlayingGame in them anymore.

By the way, Wildstar is an upcoming MMO said to be fantastic by almost everyone who got a chance to play it at trade shows.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

Looks like a Pixar made MMO w/ great sense of humor. I am looking forward to it quite a lot.

Looks very interesting indeed, but it also looks like one of those MMO's where you pick a character to play that's pigeon holed; like Vindictus. I'm not a fan of that type of MMO.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I'm still wishing more MMO's would catch on to what GW2 is doing. Making the Fantasy/Magic genre more interesting by adding in goodies like the Engineer profession, and letting Warriors use something other than melee weapons, etc.

I really enjoyed Engineer in Warhammer. Fun class but I always got me face ripped off by Bright Wizards. -_-

Anarchy had a good Engineer class. Kinda unwieldy though.

I really enjoyed Engineer in Warhammer. Fun class but I always got me face ripped off by Bright Wizards. -_-

Anarchy had a good Engineer class. Kinda unwieldy though.
    That's because everybody got their faces ripped off by Bright Wizards. :P

I do love what GW2 has done with the Charr; they haven't truly made it steampunk, though I'm sure the temptation for them was tremendous, and I really like that. It's much more industrial taken to its extreme, very heavy on the coal power, not steam power. I remember talking to an NPC in the Citadel standing next to a huge vehicle, and saying that it was one of the very few vehicles they had that really ran on steam power, and that it was also one of the most dangerous and strongest engines they had because of it, or something along those lines.

...I spent more time during the BWE than I was expecting just running around and talking to all of the NPCs. It's absurd how much lore is crammed in there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    If I could redo reality I would have made GW2 a star wars game. I was waiting for a good star wars MMO for EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I enjoy the gw2 lore, but SWTOR with GW2s design would have made me cream.
    Hehe I like star wars the way it is, and I will probably like GW2 as well. But I do feel that there could be some more none-fantasy mmos out there. Star wars is refreshing in that way, secret world got potential as well but gameplay seems a bit unsmooth (only seen people spamming one spell over and over and many look similar to eachother) and overall a bit clunky which is a shame. Eve onlines creators got some vampire mmo going on as well, that hopefully will be released one day in a bunch of years that look promising as well. Eve online itself is interesting as well, but I prefer being able to walk around and fight with my character, being stuck in a space ship wasnt fun to me at all =) Shame because they have a really great character design system

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That's because everybody got their faces ripped off by Bright Wizards. :P

I do love what GW2 has done with the Charr; they haven't truly made it steampunk, though I'm sure the temptation for them was tremendous, and I really like that. It's much more industrial taken to its extreme, very heavy on the coal power, not steam power. I remember talking to an NPC in the Citadel standing next to a huge vehicle, and saying that it was one of the very few vehicles they had that really ran on steam power, and that it was also one of the most dangerous and strongest engines they had because of it, or something along those lines.

...I spent more time during the BWE than I was expecting just running around and talking to all of the NPCs. It's absurd how much lore is crammed in there.
    I agree, I absolutely loathe steampunk, but was pleasently surprised by the Black Citadel. Seems more like coalpunk or something lol.

The first Guild Wars was like that in terms of lore. Was possible to miss a lot of it though because Anet push their lore mostly to side activities. Like if you just did the missions in GW1 you get the main plot & so on- and you do them sorta in rapid succession. Yet if you wandered around outside of the missions, a lot of lore was bound to side quests and NPC dialogue. Such as say, the Pale Tree, the magic wells or Kessex Peak.

Second game is much the same.

Deleted
    The first Guild Wars was like that in terms of lore. Was possible to miss a lot of it though because Anet push their lore mostly to side activities. Like if you just did the missions in GW1 you get the main plot & so on- and you do them sorta in rapid succession. Yet if you wandered around outside of the missions, a lot of lore was bound to side quests and NPC dialogue. Such as say, the Pale Tree, the magic wells or Kessex Peak.

Second game is much the same.
    It is, but it gives people like me, and many others who take the leveling process slow, the chance to experience everything the world has to offer. Not everyone cares about little bits of lore crammed away in every little dialogue, but it's great for those who do.