Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    wat. I don't think we're looking at the same interweb.
    Yep, I recall a game that came out in December that had a much bigger following prior to that release.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Yep, I recall a game that came out in December that had a much bigger following prior to that release.
    The one I referenced in my post, that had a video to generate hype at last year's cons, yet somehow GW2 is compared to for generating hype when at GW2 was actually playable at those same cons?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    ...a game that's only going to die after a couple months.
    ROFL, good one mate! Many of us are coming from GW and will play GW2 for years to come. Perhaps the fotm players will leave after a couple months when they hype dies down or it doesn't meet their expectations. But if it lives up to its heritage it should be quite captivating (for a certain audience).

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Not playing a game "because of the fanboyism attached" is like not following a sports team because its fans are too passionate.
    Have you seen what & how some those people act like in the summer months? Good lord, nothing is worse than Red Sox fans. -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    wat. I don't think we're looking at the same interweb.
    Really? I see far more people hyping up over GW2 than even SW:Tor. Now to be frank I don't blame them as the game is offering a lot of new takes on genre and as such will naturally garner a lot of attention. The problem is that because of this a lot of silly people who have got sucked into the hype will act very self righteiuous because they are going to play a game that's offering something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizler View Post
    ROFL, good one mate! Many of us are coming from GW and will play GW2 for years to come. Perhaps the fotm players will leave after a couple months when they hype dies down or it doesn't meet their expectations. But if it lives up to its heritage it should be quite captivating (for a certain audience).
    You've taken what I said utterly out of context. How can you say for certain the game will be good or a success when it's not even been released yet? Pretty much all recent MMO's have have opened to massive positive hype only to gradually fade after it dies down eg Rift, Warhammer Online and recently SW:TOR.
    As I said before, I hope it's a good game, I really do. But past experiences have told me otherwise so I'd rather rather wait until after release when it is cheaper and actual reviews can be given. I'm very pessimistic towards new MMO's as they are either very good or lack luster and when they are lack luster the community fades which results in less players which in turn hurts your experience even if you enjoyed the game.

Smite me for being pessimistic towards games of a certain genre because of the majority of them wind up fading after a couple months.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-05-07 at 07:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    QFT

Honestly nowadays I don't even bother correcting people anymore. If anything I just direct them to a FAQ or mass info page.
    This, with GW2 you'll get flamed for asking poeple to explain why they dont like it

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 08:45 PM ----------

Im not sure why i even check the GW2 forums anymore to be fair, there never seems to be any new information posting i dont know about/cant find easier somewhere else, not much of a discussion can happen untill the game is released, seems to be the same points over and over again the GW2 forums should just be changed to an FAQ link :P.
    too many threads about the end-game in GW2, too many about gear progression, too many on if it will fail or not, am i the only one who is thinking along these lines?

Really? I see far more people hyping up over GW2 than even SW:Tor. Now to be frank I don't blame them as the game is offering a lot of new takes on genre and as such will naturally garner a lot of attention. The problem is that because of this a lot of silly people who have got sucked into the hype will act very self righteiuous because they are going to play a game that's offering something new.

You've taken what I said utterly out of context. How can you say for certain the game will be good or a success when it's not even been released yet? Pretty much all recent MMO's have have opened to massive positive hype only to gradually fade after it dies down eg Rift, Warhammer Online and recently SW:TOR.
    As I said before, I hope it's a good game, I really do. But past experiences have told me otherwise so I'd rather rather wait until after release when it is cheaper and actual reviews can be given. I'm very pessimistic towards new MMO's as they are either very good or lack luster and when they are lack luster the community fades which results in less players which in turn hurts your experience even if you enjoyed the game.

Smite me for being pessimistic towards games of a certain genre because of the majority of them wind up fading after a couple months.
    As has been said countless times, everything you need to know about the game is out there, in videos, in text...if you are interested, don't worry about hype, go out and actually research the game. The only thing you'll find out after launch that you can't know now is how long-term it's going to last, but even that (always!) is on the individual; I can't tell you that you're going to get 50000 hours out of it, because everybody's interests are different. But if you read up on the game and it's systems on arena.net/blog, and watch videos so you can get a feel for what it looks like and maybe how it plays, you'll be informed. Until you do that, though, don't come in here bashing a game that you haven't done any research on "because it's happened in the past".
    Guild Wars 2 isn't like other games, set aside your expectations and open your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    As has been said countless times, everything you need to know about the game is out there, in videos, in text...if you are interested, don't worry about hype, go out and actually research the game. The only thing you'll find out after launch that you can't know now is how long-term it's going to last, but even that (always!) is on the individual; I can't tell you that you're going to get 50000 hours out of it, because everybody's interests are different. But if you read up on the game and it's systems on arena.net/blog, and watch videos so you can get a feel for what it looks like and maybe how it plays, you'll be informed. Until you do that, though, don't come in here bashing a game that you haven't done any research on "because it's happened in the past".
    Guild Wars 2 isn't like other games, set aside your expectations and open your mind.
    I'm being pessimistic about the game, not bashing it. Apparently being pessimistic about a new release is offensive to you.
    This is the sort of attitude I mentioned beforehand, I didn't criticise the game negatively at all and merely stated I would buy the game once reviews have been given in hindsight where the full scale of the game can played, reviewed and criticised and apparently I'm bashing it. In fact I even said I wanted it to be a good game.
    The entire game is not playable and as such cannot be reviewed as of yet. Swtor for example was hyped massively for it's amazing story telling, and yet when all the hype had died down you were still at the end of the day running errands while end game content was very lack luster which was something that could only be found out in hindsight and once you had reached max level.

Every new game is apparently unlike others. If it's a great game then I will buy it later for less when I know it's a been well received and so on so forth. Is it truly so hard to open your own mind that people are naturally pessimistic about a new game? Why should I spend £40 on a new title when I can wait for the game to be legitimately reviewed and be cheaper? For me it's a win/win as I will know it's a good game while also saving money on the game. The only advantage to me buying it upon launch is that I get to play it sooner of which to me is not important.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-05-07 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire game is not playable and as such cannot be reviewed as of yet. Swtor for example was hyped massively for it's amazing story telling, and yet when all the hype had died down you were still at the end of the day running errands while end game content was very lack luster which was something that could only be found out in hindsight and once you had reached max level.
    And for how many months of the game being in beta did players in the beta try said content and openly praise it?

I hear a lot of SWTOR beta players complained endlessly about the beta, and then were just ignored en masse.

The irony here is that GW2 is playable, even if only in short bursts once a month. We're seeing real game content, and we've been shown real game content for even longer than we've had betas to experience firsthand.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Am I the only one who feels we answer the same types of posts biweekly?

I'm being pessimistic about the game, not bashing it. Apparently being pessimistic about a new release is offensive to you.
    This is the sort of attitude I mentioned beforehand, I didn't criticise the game negatively at all and merely stated I would buy the game once reviews have been given in hindsight where the full scale of the game can played, reviewed and criticised and apparently I'm bashing it. In fact I even said I wanted it to be a good game.

Every new game is apparently unlike others. If it's a great game then I will buy it later for less when I know it's a been well received and so on so forth. Is it truly so hard to open your own mind that people are naturally pessimistic about a new game? Why should I spend £40 on a new title when I can wait for the game to be legitimately reviewed and be cheaper? For me it's a win/win as I will know it's a good game while also saving money on the game.
    My point is that unadulterated, factual details about the game is out there. If you can't trust what people are saying about it now, how are you going to trust what people are saying about it 2 months after release? Every part of the game that has been discussed by ArenaNet (which you can find that at, again, http://arena.net/blog) has been tested by the public. Not necessarily every bit of the game, but that's because ArenaNet doesn't want to spoil the game before it's even released, but all the systems: DEs, Personal Story, Elite DEs, dungeons, explorable dungeons...it's all been tested by the public, through conventions during alpha stages of the game, and closed beta tests with the media, as well as BWE1. The only difference is that 2 months after release people will have played for 2 months. But even then, 99.9% of reviewers, which is what you'll apparently be basing you decision on, won't!

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who feels we answer the same types of posts biweekly?
    It's not just you. People come here, get presented with objective evidence, and then back off saying "Dammit, I don't want subjective opinions!"

If you can't trust what people are saying about it now, how are you going to trust what people are saying about it 2 months after release?
    This needs to be plastered across the internet.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well, with MMOs it usually takes months and sometimes a year or so for them to find their equilibrium. I am likely to weight an opinion formed after several months of play more heavily than that of one formed over a few weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It's not just you. People come here, get presented with objective evidence, and then back off saying "Dammit, I don't want subjective opinions!"
    Very true...like how I've linked the blog 3 times already and yet keep getting told all the information is subjective. The difference between ANet and "other mmo developers" is ANet demonstrates what they're doing while "other mmo developers" tell us what they're doing (and play fancy videos that aren't of in-game play instead of demoing)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't trust what people are saying about it now, how are you going to trust what people are saying about it 2 months after release?
    Because they will have hindsight and will have played the the entirety of the game. Besides I'll be saving money by that point. I will actually be happy if it's a great game and I'm blissfully proven wrong because it will be the first MMO to come out that actually is great and will challenge WoW. Until then I will wait. I'd rather save myself £10 than wind up rushing into another MMO.
    It's annoying when I say I'll wait and then become villainized for it.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-05-07 at 09:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes indeed... I wonder how so many developers forget the "show" part of "show and tell"

10+ Year Old Account
    Until then I will wait. I'd rather save myself £10 than wind up rushing into another MMO.
    Makes perfectly good sense.

Y u fighting guiz.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? I see far more people hyping up over GW2 than even SW:Tor.
    Yes, except that I could have easily told you ToR won't live up to it's hype. The only thing about it, that drew people to it, was the fact that it's Star Wars universe. And people love Star Wars. Why? Because of freaking lightsabers! Which one of us has never dreamed of pwning someone with a lightsaber?
    And as I said somewhere, before release, you just can't immerse yourself when your skills do 150% weapon damage... With a lightsaber.... That cuts metal in half...
    As for GW2, they are bringing a different kind of gameplay to the the table. There's dodging, less but at the same time more skills (weapon swaps etc), dynamic events (more polished and on bigger scale than we had previously seen), no holy trinity and so on and so forth.
    Now, yes, I agree the hype is probably too high, but people are just bored of, let's say World of Warcraft. Why? Because they have been playing it for years. They know the place upside down. They did everything there was to do. I know I did. And Guild Wars 2 brings some freshness to the table. Something new to discover, something new to do, something new to learn.
    So, we agree the hype is high, but can you blame a homeless man begging for money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    As for GW2, they are bringing a different kind of gameplay to the the table. There's dodging, less but at the same time more skills (weapon swaps etc), dynamic events (more polished and on bigger scale than we had previously seen), no holy trinity and so on and so forth.
    Now, yes, I agree the hype is probably too high, but people are just bored of, let's say World of Warcraft. Why? Because they have been playing it for years. They know the place upside down. They did everything there was to do. I know I did. And Guild Wars 2 brings some freshness to the table. Something new to discover, something new to do, something new to learn.
    So, we agree the hype is high, but can you blame a homeless man begging for money?
    I actually specifically said something like that about the hype.As I said I don't blame people for hype when the game is offering new things to the genre while WoW has been the top of the market. I hope it's great as I said previously again, Blizzard need a good kick up the arse.

You've taken what I said utterly out of context.
    Fair enough. You've presented your argument well and your overall tone is positive. I understand your position and I didn't mean any offense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Tabula Rasa?
    That was an AWESOME idea, but the game was really clunky at best. I wish it had taken off, it was so spectacular, and I'm not a fan of sci-fi themes usually.

@Scummer: Besides disliking a game based on "fanboy-ism" or whatever, have you actually played the game yet? Maybe at a Con or BWE? If not, why are you judging it already? I played the BWE after finally getting the money for my pre-purchase, and damn it blew my mind. I stayed up for two days straight playing this. When Monday came, I was already bored of WoW after just opening the damn thing!

In other words, don't judge a book by it's cover. Maybe play the game before judging it "bad". Besides, it's only $60 and you never pay again unless you're into game store goods.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-05-07 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added stuff.