Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I don't get why anyone would limit themselves when you don't have to.
    That's true, no point in only using certain classes/weapons, when there's no drawback to making all the classes, and trying out all the weapons.

Coming from FFXI being my first true MMO, I leveled so many different classes in that game I never did cap out before another MMO came and pulled me away. When I went into WoW, I made a promise I would be capping out a class before moving on to another one before I started it.
    It worked out well, and I felt I learned to play the class well imo, then I decided to change it over and have changed my main a few times with the release of each expansion.
    With GW2 that will be my goal yet again. Just a form of policing myself to keep on track and enjoy the profession I have chosen to the fullest. i have a few capped characters I have stuck with now and have others to level up a bit more til cap when I feel it is getting stale to me.
    Thankfully though, ArenaNet is making it more fun to level and I won't be in any rush to get to 80 with the amount of story, exploration, and dynamic events they are packing into this game.
    Can't wait to dig into it.

One thing I dread, when the game is out for a bit, people are gonna be going the route of dictating how classes should be played in a party situation.

A challenge that will be interesting to see everyone evolve from for sure. My fiance is a prime example of that. She loves healing in WoW, and when I told her about the holy trinity going away in this, she gave me a puzzled look and at the same time she was surprised that she wouldn't be stuck watching health bars in events and dungeons.

I don't think it will be a problem of people leaving the holy trinity behind, a problem I could see though is people making up a new trinity, to define classes, even if they don't need to be.

A little scared we won't see "LF tank, heals, and dps" but see "LF support, control, and heavy damage"

That is what I'm fearing the most. Hopefully, everyone will stand their ground and tell those people we can all do that role and get out of their old MMO ways.

Deleted
    This will be fun. Necromancer or Warrior, yet to decide

I know Thief will be my first profession for sure, but I can't resist the urge to try another prof at some point after Thief and leaning toward necro as my second. Unless Mesmer, as everyone is leaning to as the next one being announced, turns out to be pretty sweet. Then I will have another choice to make.

Hey, does anyone actually know why they decided to redesign Sylvari ? just curious as to why all of a sudden?
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    Hey, does anyone actually know why they decided to redesign Sylvari ? just curious as to why all of a sudden?
    Because they want to make them sluttier

10+ Year Old Account
    I read somewhere that they want them to look more "planty"

Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    Curious about something...

Since there is no tank, is threat based strait off of damage or is it randomized somehow? Ranged players are going to have to be good at kiting, almost like in a PvP setting.
    I think its more randomized some times and other times the monster will just hit the nearest enemy.
    And rangeds will have the tools to take care of themselves not just kiting
    Last edited by Snakez; 2011-05-31 at 07:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Since there is no tank, is threat based strait off of damage or is it randomized somehow? Ranged players are going to have to be good at kiting, almost like in a PvP setting.
    Think it will be like in the first game there should be enough control spells to keep mobs away from your squishy casters

I would assume it is randomized. I heard a rumor that threat was based off whoever was closest to the enemy, but it had to be fake, or else you would see parties of 1 melee, rest ranged.

Interesting interview excerpt that slightly explains the redesign.

"Tap: Was there any specific reason why ArenaNet chose to revisit some races? Was it to try to make them stand out or from an unhappiness at the finished product?

Daniel: Guild Wars 2 has been in development for a few years, and our tools and technology have evolved and our vision is constantly developing and changing. For some races the early design didn’t stand the test of time. You build and implement things, some grow on you and some tend to age poorly and beg for redesign. The sylvari were one of those cases where one of the artists on the team — she really came up with a new vision of what they should be and how to go about it and was itching to give them a re-work. That’s the sort of creative drive that would be a shame to deny. We said go for it!"

It won't let me post links yet but above was a quote from that interview.

Deleted
    I think I read an interview somewhere saying that the current model is just an alpha stage model and is getting tweaked based on community feedback and the need to remove clipping/tearing issues.

Of course it could just be they are making them more planty.

P.S. Read Destiny's Edge...Sylvari have GOLD blood, that should make for some interesting particle effects ingame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    P.S. Read Destiny's Edge...Sylvari have GOLD blood, that should make for some interesting particle effects ingame.
    Nice! i know a way to become rich already

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I would assume it is randomized. I heard a rumor that threat was based off whoever was closest to the enemy, but it had to be fake, or else you would see parties of 1 melee, rest ranged.
    I think Threat is based off who has the highest Defense stat so even say a Elementalist will be your "Tank" if he has a higher defensive stat than say your Ranger or Guardian of Warrior. That's just a theory of course.

They could scrap the Threat system and have mods targettting players based on who was the closest to them /shrug. Kinda like GW1 at times...lol

Now I haven't had the chance to fully play GW1 yet, but something I found on YouTube was some older vids of Dhuume laying down the ban-hammer (ban-scythe) to spammers and trolls. Looked like a pretty epic way of getting rid of these type of folks and very entertaining indeed.
    Curious what they are going to bring in this time around to enact the same type of punishment.

The mobs in gw2 will attack nearest target (unless a ranged spell that will most likely hit a player in the back). There are probably going to be a person "directing" the boss / mob in a direction but a big problem is that you get one hitted. Alot! So avoidance is going to make you win, maybe a guardian can take 2 hits but the big bosses are going to hit hard. All you gotta do is avoid the attacks. And about a dps race, if you dps instead of move = you're dead and dead dps= no dps D:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I'm 100% sure there is no player threat in GW2 I don't see why there would be, as I said in my last post there wasn't user threat in the original GW either, mobs would attack players based on other things.
    Threat did exist in GW1 but NOT in the way it does traditionally. In GW1 the higher your armour and health and damage were the more Threat you generated and as such the less likely mobs were to attack you. There could be a threat system in play now Maklor as GW2 is changing alot of the core systems of GW1 which could mean the squish based targetting system being removed.