Raiding locks vs <insert what your are> CRITS!

**Incoming Rant****

This is just a general statment and not directed at anyone. Just some post I see about crits from Demo/dest and how Aff is OP

This is my point of view about crits. I don't want them. I don't want to see huge crits as part of my dps. I am not a mage nor want to be one. I want steady dps that tops the charts. I don't want to pull aggo because I critted 3 straight times. I don't understand the obsession with huge crits with people. As a raider I don't want to be near the top of the threat charts (BC days) and have to shatter every CD. If you want to be a crit master; reroll a mage imo. Yes there might be huge crits right now and people are calling for nerfs.. you can tell who raids and who does 5 mans. What is the end result of the raid? Did you top out or did you have a crit and that's you are hanging your hat on.
    True Raiders don't care about crits just the end result. Nice and clean kill where the lock is top of dps charts. Yes Demo has huge spikes.. they are add killing machines... but the end result is a mid placement on NON add fights. Demo is good for like 2 fights imo but they utility is what makes them viable in 10 mans if the comp is not right. Did you kill the boss is the end result. I hate to hear in Vent "salv me" right at the beginning.. are you serious that you could not wait 2 secs for tank..

Yes AFF is the "top" dps right now but I still use dest on some fights because HAVOC is just too strong. How many fights do we just stand there in a controlled environment and just DPS. If you want to be a great lock. Learn the fight and move to your spot or react to the boss when the change comes. Getting to your new spot and knowing what to do on the run is the key. Look at WoL and look at your uptime.. was it good? Do you know how to figure out your uptime? If not, then how can you fix it.

People say locks are easy.... easy to the average player but you will never see those guys on top of damage charts because they don't know how much of a pain it is to keep soul fire up ALL the time (and waiting for the cast drives me nuts) or when your dot misses; how much that blows up your prioritization (on any lock spec). No class is hard its just knowing the little things that makes you great.

I come to these forums to read about and learn from other locks that have been there and done that on Heroic kills and any tips they have from a Warlock point of view.

Post like "what is the best dps spec" or "what glyphs should I use" are people who have not researched anything and just want their hands held. Read the first few stickies on this forum... are you that lazy.

Post like "this glyph is better then this glyph" is what I like because now we are theory crafting; which is the whole point right?

Lets not take a step back on these forum and get back to some good discussions.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by lockdwn; 2011-04-29 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    meh did bwd last night my hunt was 2 dps behind a warr and the lock was like 5th so......

I really don't get what you're ranting at in the first part of your post, Affliction not being great and crits? wat

10+ Year Old Account
    Afflict is the most consistent damaging lock spec, destro is 2nd and very similar to a mage, demo dps is extremely inconsistent and sporadic.

For the highest crits you would look at demo then maybe afflict because of soul drain and then destro.

Specs are really close in dps right now in my opinion and player skill outweighs all.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgil View Post
    Afflict is the most consistent damaging lock spec, destro is 2nd and very similar to a mage, demo dps is extremely inconsistent and sporadic.

For the highest crits you would look at demo then maybe afflict because of soul drain and then destro.

Specs are really close in dps right now in my opinion and player skill outweighs all.
    I don't understand why people say destro is like a mage. Sure, its fire based, so on that theme its similar to a fire mage, but it plays literally nothing like a mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nilnar View Post
    I don't understand why people say destro is like a mage. Sure, its fire based, so on that theme its similar to a fire mage, but it plays literally nothing like a mage.
    This, its nothing like a mage. You have 1 proc, and that relies on your pet... Now look at fire mages that rely on a ton of procs.

Its hard to tell the direction of OP because he goes back and forth on multiple subjects like dots missing (...lol?...) and people asking what glyph is best, but anyway. To put it this way, my DPS as afflic goes up a lot more if I have a big haste buff such as sinestra's or even bloodlust vs a buff that gives me 100% crit. Probably applies to demo as well, maybe less so destro because the incinerates are close to GCD with backdraft anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

OP you can link your post to the EJ people when you apply for mod position there, because it is filled with attitude they promote. "Do not beg for hand-holding" is their trademark. I always pictured these forums as more people friendly then EJ.
    Last edited by randa; 2011-04-29 at 09:05 PM.

Fire Mage and Desto Lock dps couldn't be more different besides the use of fire maybe. I play both and believe me most fire mages hate our crit system because a few procs can make a difference from 15k dps to 20k dps. Where as my warlock will pull steady dps with a fun rotation, you do have soul fire procs but really you don't rely on it for dps its just a nice boost when it happens.

can someone tell me what the OP is trying to say, because what i got out of it was

i dont like big crits
    mages do big crits
    aff is better than destro
    i play destro because BoH is good
    bad locks dont do good dps
    keeping ISF will make u better

ohh and i dont like people that are lazy

OP is ranting for the sake of ranting.

And I dont agree with him. If there is a spec that needs big crits is destro, its called Destruction for a reason.

Even tho I like steady fast small damage, we already have aff and demo for that.

Deleted
    mages arrent fire anymore anyways afaik.. arcane is sicko again -_- so no now destro has NOTHING do to with mage

I was looking at logs on Heroic Maloriak and demo isn't even good on that fight if the green phase is going down ok. i was doing that as affliction and total did 700k less on the black phase adds but 2 million more on the boss. outside of the add phases demo drops to about 10k dps on the boss. If the green phase is going down fast enough you shouldn't do that as demo. Once metamorphosis is over it's like below the tanks.

this was before 4.1
    Last edited by Subetei; 2011-05-03 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Subetei View Post
    I was looking at logs on Heroic Maloriak and demo isn't even good on that fight if the green phase is going down ok. i was doing that as affliction and total did 700k less on the black phase adds but 2 million more on the boss. outside of the add phases demo drops to about 10k dps on the boss. If the green phase is going down fast enough you shouldn't do that as demo. Once metamorphosis is over it's like below the tanks.
    lol demo does low damage outside of meta but its certainly not below tanks :P Its probably about 15-17k out of meta

not on that fight if it's longer than 7-8 min total.