Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why don't DPS pull? :)

This is a little bit of QQ then. I play on my deathknight tank and ofc, as with any tank you are expecting to make the majority of the pulls. You rarely actually announce you're making pulls, you just do it, and if you don't do it people say "Come on tank" or more simply "go".

I'm fine with this.

Yet certain rare portions of dungeons can be pulled by DPS. The three that spring to mind are Cookie in Deadmines, Siamat the last boss of Lost City of Tolvir, and the trash pull in new ZG where when you pull the mobs immediately start turning into evil snakes. And these situations don't require a tank pull. In fact Siamar MASSIVELY benefits from a dps pulling, as you can knock about 10% of his health off before he puts his shield up if you're fast. A tank pull is detrimental to that boss. Cookie can be pulled by anyone but again it is more beneficial for a dps to pull as they can start DPSing immediately. And the mobs in ZG, again, the DPS just stand around waiting for a tank to pull even though the mobs are supposed to be dead before they even turn tankable.

Ok this may seem silly to some but basically if a pull benefits from the DPS pulling why do all DPS at these points stand around staring at the mobs saying "go tank". They don't understand their own job. I am happy to do my job and pull when it's required of me but if a pull is BETTER when made by a dps why do no dps actually take up this task and instead stand still waiting for the tank to do it?

this may come off as trolling but its my honest opinion. most people who find themselves in a DPS role(in LFG tool) are the people who do not want to take initiative and generally dont have the confidence to tell a group of people they dont know what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, generally because many mobs just slaughter us :P
    Vol'jin fanboy

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Say mage x sheeps one mob. Now the mobs will be running towards him. Sure I knew this were going to happend so I positioned myself in between them.
    But then warrior y decides I have enough threat (before the mobs have even reached me) and charges in, stunning one so that he won't get attacked by my aoe attacks or worse, stuns everybody and bladestorms (breaking the sheep aswell).
    Warrior y dies beacuse fuck him. He whines and calls all other people bad beacuse they aren't doing their roles and tries to vote kick someone (usually me, the tank).

Well actually thats just a regular pug.

But I do prefer pulling mobs myself, the shit gets done quicker that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manlypecs
    It's always safe to blame the healer, since healers aren't real people anyway.

DPS don't pull because they have neither the defense or armor to survive very long. While the tank may not be taking a lot of damage the dps will be killed very quickly. Never forget that all tanks spec into becoming uncrittable. Yes there are fights where it doesn't matter who pulls but those are the exceptions. Player instinct is to allow the tank to pull so they can position the boss or mobs in an optimal spot for their play style. Also keep in mind that you have to consider the entire fight. What happens when the phase shifts and the boss switches to melee attacks? Does the dps have the mitigation to survive the spells being cast? Does the tank have the resources to pick up the entire group or would having the dps pull leave them rage starved and unable to gain agro before a party member dies?

Quote Originally Posted by zackkaufen View Post
    Yet certain rare portions of dungeons can be pulled by DPS. The three that spring to mind are Cookie in Deadmines, Siamat the last boss of Lost City of Tolvir, and the trash pull in new ZG where when you pull the mobs immediately start turning into evil snakes. And these situations don't require a tank pull. In fact Siamar MASSIVELY benefits from a dps pulling, as you can knock about 10% of his health off before he puts his shield up if you're fast. A tank pull is detrimental to that boss. Cookie can be pulled by anyone but again it is more beneficial for a dps to pull as they can start DPSing immediately. And the mobs in ZG, again, the DPS just stand around waiting for a tank to pull even though the mobs are supposed to be dead before they even turn tankable.
    You forgot Setesh in HoO. Probably because no one ever does him.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zackkaufen View Post
    Why don't DPS pull?
    I wish that was the problem.. the problem is more.. why oh why did that dps warrior charge with a healer oom, why oh why did that hunter md the mage instead of either his pet or the tank before hitting multi shot.. why oh why must we suffer dps at all..

Edit: yes i get your point of the few were dps could pull but i would rather a world where dps didnt pull (or at least didnt pull ineffectively) where they shouldnt than a world where they pull where it might give some small benefit
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2011-05-04 at 08:42 AM.

Deleted
    Well since I play hunter, I (in some occasions) do the majority of the pulls, I just MD them all with a multi-shot to the tanks

Deleted
    Did anyone actually read the post that I made...?

I was talking about situations were mobs and bosses are untankable.

DPS does pull off not very good tanks - with exception of premature howling blasts, these deserve to be mown down.

Some dps players do pull those bosses. I usually do on my dps. Most might not cause some arent used to starting fights in a dungeon. Or are afraid to be kicked by a tank raging that he should pull.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    If a dps pulls, there's always the risk that either the tank or the healer wasn't ready.
    If the dps lets the tank pull, it removes half that risk.

Deleted
    For the love of God, I spend half of my time telling dps NOT to pull. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    For the love of God, I spend half of my time telling dps NOT to pull. :/
    There is a time and a place for everything. The problem is the vast majority know neither.

siamat i dps pull, or ask the dps to pull

cookie is an easy as fight so never really care on that one

the zg snake chick pull, i usually put 2 lolbombs on the snakes then focus fire the chick, aoe hard wen shes down

but for the most part, i dont dps pull unless ive been told to, with cc, or unless im damn sure i can solo it without heals
    e.g. trash pulls in H GB after you have done the drakes run and some mobs are on very low hp, easily soloable

pls dont encourage dps pulls, purely because most herpderps wont read your post properly, as you have already noticed

i wil, as well as lots of healers/tanks, let dps pullers die if they are doing it consistantly and on purpose, where it is not beneficial to do so

Deleted
    i dont mind dps pulling (tank myself) just they shouldnt complain when they die because i have stuff on cd/ dont have rage thats all really.

It's tanks job to do the pulling and when I'm on my DK I hate when some DPS just starts to run and shoot at mobs, that's why I HATE hunters with passion..
    There are few pulls that could be done by DPS, but there is no problem in saying "DPS pls pull this", neither it really does big difference if the tank pulls it.
    In PUGs it's best for everyone to stick to their role. DPS is supposed to kill things, Tanks are supposed to pull, Healers are supposed to keep people alive.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if the tank isn´t pulling, there´s probably a good enough reason for it. Having no rage or way of getting it, or waiting a few seconds for a CD qualifies. I lose braincells everytime a group member tells me to "go" if we´ve been out of combat for more than 5 seconds, and I´m waiting for frisbee cd/runes/rage.

I play the tank role because I like the control that goes with it. I join as tank because I like being able to set the pace of the run. It really irks me when everyone else starts pulling left and right, thinking they´re doing me a favor.

Are you kidding me? Ever since they introduced tricks of the trade i rarely ever let the tank pull.

If we're sitting there ready to go and the tank is off in lala land, he better believe he's getting md'd.

Nothing irritates me more than the tank taking the longest to get ready in between pulls.

DPS don't pull (usually anyway) because the tank then tends to either throw a hissy fit and leave the group or tries to get the "offending" DPS vote-kicked, note how neither of those is good news to the DPS-ers, this tends to quash the sort of initiative OP is talking about somewhat...