Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Movies] Conan - The Barbarian

Looks like Warriors are getting their own movie.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi990092569/

Deleted
    I'm on the fence with this one. I'm usually okay with re-boots and re-makes but I don't know if this will feel the same... I mean, no Arnie? no James Earl Jones? Visually it looks stunning so as long as this Jason Mamoa does his part I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

---------- Post added 2011-05-06 at 09:31 AM ----------

Omg, Ron Perlman is in it, okay I change my mind, It'll be awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    no
    no no
    nonononononooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

seriously? conan without schwarzenegger? you gotta be f*in kidding me, cause my mind aint buying this

the trailer reminds me of the effect-overkill that screwed up sucker punch

till the last second i thought "at least it's not in 3d"
    well...damn...

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard a rumor a LONG time ago, when the thought of this movie first came out, that Arnold would make a cameo as a former king or something of the sort. That very well could have been scrapped though.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, Arnold wasn't really right for Conan. He doesn't really fit Robert Howard's description of Conan. I'm not saying Jason Mamoa fits it better. What I am saying is a whole generation (or 2) grew up with an idea of who Conan is, but that idea doesn't really fit the source material.

In other words, don't get hung up on Arnold being the definitive Conan. It's one of Arnold's defining roles, but he doesn't really define Conan.

Based on recent Hollywood history, this movie may miss the mark wide. But I'll give it a shot just in case it breathes new life into the story. Anything has to be better than that God awful Kevin Sorbo "Kull."

It also cracks me up to hear fanboys whine that Jason Mamoa isn't "big enough" to be Conan. Really? The dude is 6'4'' and probably in excess of 245 lb.s. They make it sound like he's a 5'5'' pencil-neck weakling. Sure, he's not as steroid-bound as Arnold was back in the day, but he looks like he can kick ass just the same.

All that said, could we PLEASE get "King Conan" with Arnold now that he's free again?

Deleted
    At least he actually looks like Conan as Robert E Howard describes him in his stories.

It looks fun. A typical throw away, turn your brain off, action naked ladies fest. All the things I like in 1 place. I hope it's not aimed at teens though.

My concern as usual is the 3D part. Due to an unfortunate eye defect 3D deosn't work for me but I might try and catch it on DVD.

This guy looks more like Conan than Arnold. Read the books, or heck, even the comics
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    I think it wont be as good Conan the Barbarian or Conan the Destroyer, but it will be entertaining i guess.
    Will definitely watch it because i loved the first 2 Conans.

10+ Year Old Account
    He needs his bigish dreadlocks back :<.

I'm staying on the 'meh' side until I saw it, I have no high hopes though.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_t...ian_.282011.29
    Well, it's not a remake. It's just another take on Robert E. Howard's character. It was bound to happen, just like most comic book characters, one person wont be known for that role forever. It looks decent, however.

Deleted
    Big fan of Robert E. I am looking forward to this film as its ment to be closer to the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Red Band trailer out.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/17...-debut?show=HD

Aside from the music (which doesn't go with the movie and I'm sure is only for the trailer), this is looking better than I expected.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'd say this. Mamoa make's a much better big bad ass that'll scare the crap out of you than Arnold.

Deleted
    Enough of these god damn remakes already!

I am quite interested in this movie. Mainly because the director seems somewhat capable, and the fact that movies of this genre are scarse recently.

For the people that are concerned about this remake, and the absence of Arnold Schwarzenegger from it. Conan's origins are in literature, not film. He is a character from a series of books, not movies, or comic books, videogames, etc. So, there is no rule that says that any future movie about Conan has to be a remake of the older movies. And in this case it is a new imagining of the character in movie form, not a remake. Nobody is reshooting the older movies. And as cinema as an art form, and the technology that is used progress, I see no reason not to have new imaginings of existing fictional characters and stories. Just imagine having the Lord Of The Rings trilogy only available in film form in the animated movies that were produced in the 70s, and Peter Jackson deciding not to give us his own imagining of that story later on because it was already done once. Or Christopher Nolan declining the opportunity to create movies about Batman because Tim Burton had already done so. People have the tendency to want to tell stories that they like on their own way all the time, and I can't think of anything bad about it, as long as we try all the while to create some new stories as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotta say I'm prettye excited about this, see what Jason Mamoa can do in Game of Thrones I think he'll make a pretty sick Conan. The story behind it is amazing, so I can't wait to see it made with this generations money, effect, actors and most importantly, fight choreography.

all told i think it'll kick ass, and I'll definately be going to see it.

in 2D FUCK 3D
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Tbh Mamoa as Conan is pretty promising imo can't wait to go see it! He looks perfect for the role

Jason Momoa fits this role much better than Arnold ever did. Hell, he even acts 1000x's better than Arnold...unless you require the distinct 'Get to da choppa!' line for comedic relief!

Agreed, this is a far cry from the Conans with Arnold, which for their time were fine, he was a badass in his own right, but nowadays people want more "realism" and less campy.
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned