Quote Originally Posted by Dizson View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.9a7912e569cc
    These visual missteps alone might have merely diminished a great episode, had this been one. But if “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms” prepared us for the possibility that a significant number of important characters would meet their doom during this critical battle, the show seemed to lose its nerve and turn to the sorts of traditional fantasy tropes it had once upended.

Once, we knew that Arya’s training in the House of Black and White and the murderous road she’d walked to get there had morally deformed her. Now, her skills with Valyrian steel and dragonglass (not to mention her foresight in weapons design) have turned her into a mere badass. How did we get to a place where Arya’s assassination of the Night King felt like an intellectual letdown, where a big episode of “Game of Thrones” felt like badly shot and edited fan service rather than a genuine revelation?

But “The Long Night” was a powerful, late-in-the-game example of how its showrunners and directors have too often mistaken the show’s weakest qualities for its strongest. But if you asked me whether “Game of Thrones” is a genuinely great show, after “The Long Night,” I’d have to answer: not today.
    As if quoting directly from someone's review of the episode, which I don't agree with, is going to change my mind about being thoroughly entertained and exclaiming "holy shit hell yeah!" on the big scene. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    She was there for some time, like a year or more, we saw like maybe an hour of her training...lol. But yeh, Im sure world renowned assassins are not adept at speed and stealth. Especially a light waif of a person such as Arya. A girl who got her start learning to chase and sneak up on cats. Like do people even WATCH the show?
    Part of a character's journey is showing the actual development of the character. The show does a horrible job of developing characters and just skips it and says "Sansa super smart, so cunning" or "Arya super badass, so skilled". I don't mind her being a little badass, but they didn't do it properly in season 5 and 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love the episode while watching. Wasn't for the NK to die but that doesn't bother me. Not even how he dies bothers me. What bothers me is that very few named characters died after they spent an hour and some change in a corner or on the ground surrounded by white walkers. Brianne and Jamie should be dead. Not sure how Grey Worm is even standing. Sam looks like he lived too. Hell, Jorah might as be alive. Of the three named characters that died (only 3? might be missing some people), two made sense. So many survived on some bullshit, didn't know they were crafting plot armor. Lady Mormonts made sense and was a good death. The guy with the flaming sword (I always forget his name) had a good death. Theon had such a bad death. Its take after all of that he does a cliche suicide charge, bleeds out on the ground...and Bran lets him even though Ariya was like two seconds away. He could have at least attempted to fight, not just go for a move that he knows would get him killed. I was expecting Theon to try to stand up even if it was futile but it's like the writer just gave up.

Good episode but almost 0 consequences except for a bunch of dead cannon fodder.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Mavick View Post
    As if quoting directly from someone's review of the episode, which I don't agree with, is going to change my mind about being thoroughly entertained and exclaiming "holy shit hell yeah!" on the big scene. Lol.
    You will never agree with anyone because you liked this brainless episode so what.

You will never agree with anyone because you liked this brainless episode so what.
    "brainless"

Sorry did you miss out on the latest modern family or desperate housewives of Miami to watch this?

Ooo, somebody is trying to be edgy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Eesh, lotta edgy keyboard warriors out in force today, most of you should probably be over on the lore forums whining about blizzards bad writing and how Sylvanas needs to win the war or the story is a complete failure.

Also a fair amount of people who you would be right to assume have not been watching the show.

Seriously, the Arya thing has been set up since the first season, as someone pointed out she had been chasing and sneaking up on cats since then. If you failed to pick up on how her training over the seasons has lead up to this moment, you very clearly need to go back and rewatch the entire damn show, preferably with someone holding your hand the entire time pointing things out.
    TEA IS DOWN!

Sylvanas is what you get when you cross Joffrey Baratheon with a mary sue. Change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Except, you know, all the other people who liked it and don't live such miserable existences that we come up with whatever we can to not like something and scurry to find other people to agree with us about not liking something.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    "brainless"

Sorry did you miss out on the latest modern family or desperate housewives of Miami to watch this?
    I don't watch that shit and this show died at season 3.

Except, you know, all the other people who liked it and don't live such miserable existences that we come up with whatever we can to not like something and scurry to find other people to agree with us about not liking something.
    Sorry that i have a profound taste and you don't.

"bruh just turn off your brain and enjoy"
    huehuehue

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    You mean run and jump?
    Rewatch the episode, kiddo. Maybe on a second run through you'll notice the shoulder to shoulder, several heads deep of undead and the group of white walkers standing in close proximity. It took her several minutes to navigate a library with a handful of undead, but she squeezed through the army in the godswood with no problem, just plain ran (lol) past the white walkers, and jumped 10ft into the air with a battle cry (like all good ninjas tend to do).

So tyrions trial and Oberyn where nothing? Sorry but some of the later seasons still have some amazing stuff even if it is more predictable and has more fan service than GRRM's writing.

Its still one of the best shows on tv and im gonna be sad when it ends

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I see a lot of people disappointing with NK being killed early, but I'm so happy that everyone didn't die myself.

I expected a massive retreat with maybe Jon and Danny being the only main survivors, but we would need far more episodes in order to wrap it up in that fashion.

Or some monstrous ending where everyone joins the NK and go kills Cersei, no one would watch those final episodes and HBO knows it.
    part of it was the fact that he was stopped at Winterfell, the other part is that there was zero white walker action, except minor night king stuff, very minor. why were they even there? what was the point of Crastor's males being taken at all, if they played zero role for the tv show? And why did they go with the "kill the head vampire" trope to stop not only the wights, but also the other white walker's themselves. If anything the other "others" should have still existed after the night king's end IMO. and the wights raised by the other Others, still persist. but thats my opinion. The other White walker's maybe dont simply continue the fight, because the plan is over and done and stopped, but 1 or two should have survived and potentially start the whole cycle over, millenia later. We dont even knwo why the Night King went south in the first place, the show made assumptions, but there never is a definitive reason. and that irked me.

"bruh just turn off your brain and enjoy"
    huehuehue
    And we are done here. I remember my first troll post.

Call it what you want. I'll stick with miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Love the episode while watching. Wasn't for the NK to die but that doesn't bother me. Not even how he dies bothers me. What bothers me is that very few named characters died after they spent an hour and some change in a corner or on the ground surrounded by white walkers. Brianne and Jamie should be dead. Not sure how Grey Worm is even standing. Sam looks like he lived too. Hell, Jorah might as be alive. Of the three named characters that died (only 3? might be missing some people), two made sense. So many survived on some bullshit, didn't know they were crafting plot armor. Lady Mormonts made sense and was a good death. The guy with the flaming sword (I always forget his name) had a good death. Theon had such a bad death. Its take after all of that he does a cliche suicide charge, bleeds out on the ground...and Bran lets him even though Ariya was like two seconds away. He could have at least attempted to fight, not just go for a move that he knows would get him killed. I was expecting Theon to try to stand up even if it was futile but it's like the writer just gave up.

Good episode but almost 0 consequences except for a bunch of dead cannon fodder.
    Seeing the named characters still standing, surrounded by mounds of dead bodies kinda annoyed me. Love how they all fought on the front line too and retreat while 1000's of unsullied sacrifice themselves. Then there's the raising the people in the crypts, but that's ok cause the main characters down there just hide while all the women and children get slaughtered.

Also Melisandre died... from serving her purpose or something. And that purpose was supposedly to just remind Arya that she's going to kill someone with blue eyes.

Call it what you want. I'll stick with miserable.
    honk honk don't forget the sand goes well with your head.

Contribute to the discussion or refrain from posting.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-04-30 at 03:37 PM.

so glad they didnt drag out the night king stuff, cant wait for the rest of the season now!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Seeing the named characters still standing, surrounded by mounds of dead bodies kinda annoyed me. Love how they all fought on the front line too and retreat while 1000's of unsullied sacrifice themselves. Then there's the raising the people in the crypts, but that's ok cause the main characters down there just hide while all the women and children get slaughtered.

Also Melisandre died... from serving her purpose or something. And that purpose was supposedly to just remind Arya that she's going to kill someone with blue eyes.
    Davos was gonna try kill her anyway.

She gave the final battle prep speech to a vital character. Its tried and tested formula. If Arya didnt have doubts and just steam rolled through people would have complained like they are complaining now

and dont forget her rather awesome wall of fire scene. Although I dunno why Jon didnt do it on his dragon
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-04-29 at 06:42 AM.

*After the battle is over*

Melisandre: Guess I'll die...

This episode is an advertisement for OLED tv's.

Bonus points to everyone who understands what that means.