Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    What's the point of changing stuff tho. I don't get it.
    Shock value comes first to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Changing stuff is awesome. Who needs books turned into series as is... especially if you have already read them. What would be the point in watching such a series? Will such series be profitable to create? If only bookworms will watch it to see if it lives to their book expectations so they then can bitch about any deviation no matter how minuscule...

"What? The actress playing Margaery is not as hot as I imagined?!! NERDRAGE!!!"

IN case of GoT you can do both. Read the books and watch the show and be surprised and entertained properly with both.
    Then if changing stuff is awesome, the show does not deserve to be called "adaptation of the novels" (as it is the case), but "inspired by the novels". Which is not the same thing.

If I'm watching an TV show / movie adaptation of a book, I expect it to be true to it, and that's how I will judge the adaptation (i.e. if I like it enough to buy dvds of it for example).

I am not that opposed to deviations from the books, as much as they make some sense and are correctly handled.
    Some deviations were handled the right way, and led to amazing scenes : the first one that comes to my mind is all of the Tywin-Arya scenes in s2 that were absolutely perfect. I was initially angry that Sansa went to Winterfell instead of "Arya" (Jeyne), but that lead to a change in Brienne's story (which I'm pretty sure that it was boooooring in aFFC) and made it interesting (the fact that Jeyne was scrapped in the first season also helped), thus I am beginning to think it was relatively well handled (also, Ramsay's the best, more Ramsay is good).
    Some deviations were handled poorly, and led to pure and utter shit : Missandei & Grey Worm which is a waste of time, Jaime freeing Tyrion without mentioning Tysha (which was a turning point in Tyrion's life), Drogo raping Dany in the beginning of s1, Barristan being killed, Valyria being shown as a jungle whereas it is supposed to be a scarred and burned wasteland ...

I cannot enjoy the show if they keep butchering the books and the lore like they are doing right now.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Then if changing stuff is awesome, the show does not deserve to be called "adaptation of the novels" (as it is the case), but "inspired by the novels". Which is not the same thing.
    It is the same thing, same as "based on".
    The only difference is the degree of changes.
    Adaptation doesn't mean "literal translation of a book into a movie format" or "visualization of a book".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabblexthree View Post
    Biggest reason they change stuff is probably money.
    And time. Almost inevitably, stage, film or tv adaptations have to abridge the original writing as otherwise they would run on too long.

Having given up on the books after a Feast for Crows, I applaud the TV for making changes. That book really needed an editor - it was interminable and nothing of note seemed to have happened. As a consequence, I was very worried about this TV season would run a ground due to weak source material. So far, it seems to have kept up a good pace.

I agree with some of the specific criticisms of changes (e.g. Grey Worm romance, lady Stoneheart) but on balance, the changes seem for the better (e.g. more Rob and Tywin in earlier seasons). I doubt I will give up on the show after this season, unlike I did with the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Changing stuff is awesome. Who needs books turned into series as is... especially if you have already read them. What would be the point in watching such a series? Will such series be profitable to create? If only bookworms will watch it to see if it lives to their book expectations so they then can bitch about any deviation no matter how minuscule...

IN case of GoT you can do both. Read the books and watch the show and be surprised and entertained properly with both.
    I agree with you but not all changes are good to be honest for example the change in tv series making the hound lasted longer and fight Brienne of Tarth is awesome change ! but killing Barristen (major character in the series) this early just for the sake of shock value is not a good change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I agree with you but not all changes are good to be honest for example the change in tv series making the hound lasted longer and fight Brienne of Tarth is awesome change !
    Obviously this is merely personal opinion, but I fucking loathed the fight between Brienne and Sandor. It took away a major part of Clegane's character arc, where he's left there dying because he was too stubborn to allow his wounds to be cauterised, plus it felt very fanfictiony, and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Obviously this is merely personal opinion, but I fucking loathed the fight between Brienne and Sandor. It took away a major part of Clegane's character arc, where he's left there dying because he was too stubborn to allow his wounds to be cauterised, plus it felt very fanfictiony, and not in a good way.
    The thing about changes is just like anything there will be good parts and bad parts. Sure maybe the way they (maybe) killed of the Hound was disappointment in comparison to the book. However, sticking the book and having Tyrion wander aimlessly around for a whole season muttering to himself where to whores go, would be equally horrible.

Quite frankly, getting rid of the Tyrion,Penny, aspect of the book is pretty great.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    As someone who never read the books, I enjoyed the idea of the hound in a way not wanting to let Arya go and fighting Brienne for it. I felt like it added something to him rather than, as you said, die because he was too stubborn to cauterize the wounds. Tis why I'm actually happy I didn't read the books, I can just enjoy the ride. Yeah some things bother me. Kind of upset Barriston died and not Grey worm, however, as discussed I really think it is a bad attempt at adding diversity to the show. Honestly, I'd rather of had them change an important character to a man of color (who? shrug it would have to be before the introduced him of course) than to be subjected to Grey Worm wallowing in self pity with Missandei (sp?) there (unless, as mentioned before, boobs).

Yeah some things bother me. Kind of upset Barriston died and not Grey worm, however, as discussed I really think it is a bad attempt at adding diversity to the show.
    I don't think that is the case, because there is just so many characters you can add at will to add diversity, that you don't need to sacrifice your story to shoehorn diversity into each storyline. Besides, Daenerys' storyline already has by far the most diverse cast of characters, if you want to add people of color they would do it to other story lines which employe almost entirely Caucasian casting.

10+ Year Old Account
    And there's my drink snorting quote for today! Ha! nice one ^_^

I don't think it is a matter of adding diversity. If they wanted more diverse characters then all they had to do was not cut characters out like Strong Belwas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    You are right but we can also agree that he lost to Brienne because of the same reason you mentioned which is not treating his wounds which caused him to be much weaker than he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    You are right but we can also agree that he lost to Brienne because of the same reason you mentioned which is not treating his wounds which caused him to be much weaker than he should be.
    They even made a point of saying a couple of times "You're much slower than you used to be" and other stuff along those lines. Even with all that he still gave her a real kicking. If they'd both been fit and healthy he would have ended her, even the biggest Brienne fan I know admits that .

Hopefully we'll get Cleganebowl at some later point and people will understand the power of the Hound!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    They even made a point of saying a couple of times "You're much slower than you used to be" and other stuff along those lines. Even with all that he still gave her a real kicking. If they'd both been fit and healthy he would have ended her, even the biggest Brienne fan I know admits that .

Hopefully we'll get Cleganebowl at some later point and people will understand the power of the Hound!
    I wouldn't hold my breath. The cut out Coldhands and Lady Stoneheart. I doubt they'll leave Gravedigger in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabblexthree View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath. The cut out Coldhands and Lady Stoneheart. I doubt they'll leave Gravedigger in.
    Rumors are she is going to make an appearance this season. Cersei's actor (name escapes me) even made an ominous instagram (or twitter) post showing a heart made out of stones so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryas View Post
    Rumors are she is going to make an appearance this season. Cersei's actor (name escapes me) even made an ominous instagram (or twitter) post showing a heart made out of stones so...
    Lena Headey said that had nothing to do with the show and was a post directed at an ex boyfriend.

It just happened to be around the same time we expected Lady Stoneheart to show up.
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryas View Post
    Yeah that was last season buddy, she was trolling, regardless of what story she's trotting out now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    I want to believe.

Would it be too late for the twist to have the effect it should though? It came at just the right time in ASoS, Cat's death was a fresh wound. This is like two years later.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still thinking that whatever Ramsey does to Sansa is going to turn her into Lady Stoneheart, or something similar.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still thinking that whatever Ramsey does to Sansa is going to turn her into Lady Stoneheart, or something similar.
    Man, I'd take that over undead Talisa. Good lord, the worries I had over that...

15+ Year Old Account
    I could get behind that.