This could be very interesting... rather than having to spend an entire two seasons (or more, assuming they weren't going to start splitting any more boks into two), we get over with the journey in only a few episodes. Not true to the lore, but let's face it: it's probably best for the television series.

I'm sincerely hoping that Jorah's there to try to win Daenary's heart back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Not true to the lore, but let's face it: it's probably best for the television series.
    That seems to just about sum up the entire thing, even when it's not the best for the viewers who know the source material. Or anyone the people who just stubbornly, furiously root for one character or the other, a bit of a silly thing in a universe where everyone was supposed to be able to get killed.

I'm curious how they're going to spin the story though that it might end with Dany accepting Tyrion as what appears to be an advisor. I'm almost certain I'm going to dislike it and point out (read: complain furiously) where it makes no sense. I've rather lost faith in their storytelling what with the hamfisted way the last season in particular has been treated.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would like to make Lion King the unoffical kid Game of Thrones cartoon, Scar makes a totally Game of Thrones move.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    GRRM spent the better part of 11 years trying to untie the Meerenese Knot.

Beneioff and Weiss just took some scissors and cut it out entirely.

It's unclear in those pics if Tyrion is Dany's guest, or prisoner/hostage. Jorah is probably enduring his punishment (mayhaps reduced for bringing Tyrion to her).

Assuming this is THE fighting pit scene from ADWD, one wonders where this leaves the Dornishmen. Out completely?

Griff? Out?

I don't mind them altering events to get there quicker. I don't even necessarily mind small spoilers to things we haven't seen in the books yet. I do mind that excluding vast amounts of source material hints that those parts ultimately are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    That's.... what? So, Tyrion's epic journey and trials are just... removed?

Man, fuck the TV show adaptation.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2014-10-22 at 08:16 AM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    I don't mind them altering events to get there quicker. I don't even necessarily mind small spoilers to things we haven't seen in the books yet. I do mind that excluding vast amounts of source material hints that those parts ultimately are meaningless.
    I don't think they're meaningless, I just think they're focusing on keeping the Dornish plot in particular self-contained (which is idiotic since it might just be the greatest scheme in the whole of Westeros and Essos, and that's saying a lot) and keeping the 'main story' flowing.

I don't think D&D understand the source material at all. I for one love it for the endless questions of just who is plotting against whom and what their ultimate goals might be, how far their influence can stretch, etc. Cutting that out just castrates the plot entirely and makes it more or less dark grey vs. grubby white. It's still not clear-cut black vs. white, however I can't shake the feeling that it's missing the point of the fairly realistic, politics-driven fantasy that A Song of Ice and Fire is.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen, I don't think I like the direction the TV show is going in -especially when they cut source material and put in ridiculous 'romances' like Grey Worm and Missandei. I'm really hoping we don't see any spoilers for Winds of Winter in the show.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caligulove View Post
    Lol, we already had some spoilers during this season - next one will be full of it. If tWoW isnt released by April next year, I for sure wont be watching it.
    tWoW has been delayed til 2016.

As for the photo. I'm betting that it won't be quite so bad as some people are thinking:

I'm betting that that photo is taken from late in the season, giving Tyrion some almost-appropriate travel time. Keep in mind that both Sansa's and Bran's storylines have run up against the book wall. So the show will likely be giving much more focus and thus much more screen time to the Essos storylines. (I think they'll have a bit more of both of Bran and Sansa, but not much.)

I originally thought they might also be folding Yezzan zo Qaggaz's character into Hizdahr zo Loraq's, so as not to overly confuse show watchers. However it appears they have cast the character of Yezzan, so I'm not sure what to think.

I very sincerely doubt that Connington and fAegon are out. I bet we'll see a good deal of both of them, as well as Varys and Illyrio either this season or next.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2014-10-22 at 02:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post

Epic Journey? He spends most of the time stuck on a boat thinking about fucking a nun...

Don't get me wrong, I'm as pissed as you by the changes in season five, they've gone full Legend of the Seeker of this motherfucker and you NEVER go full Legend of the Seeker... But come on, the later parts of Tyrion's journeys are the weakest of his whole plot.

I think at this point we need to just... Forget that these were once great books, just blank them from your mind for the 50+minutes a week that you're watching the show and take it for what it is, an hour of CGI dragons, boobs and snappy one liners. It's all HBO is capable of doing.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The audience's attention wouldn't endure two entire seasons of Tyrion just... traveling, even if it was "epic".

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caligulove View Post
    What.the.fuck.

aDoS in 2024?
    There tend to be roughly 2-5 year intervals before releases of new books in the series. So 2021 wouldn't be out of line. The other issue is that he originally conceptualized 3 books:

"Book 1" became roughly 4 actual books (First 3 books, plus 1/2 of AFFC and ADWD).
    "Book 2" is already at 2 actual books (last half of AFFC and ADWD, + tWOW)
    "Book 3" -- ?

If he follows this pattern, he'll have at least 2 books for ADoS. And that's being conservative. Equally true to pattern would be tWoW getting split in two and there being 3 books for ADoS.

In short, this could be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    There tend to be roughly 2-5 year intervals before releases of new books in the series. So 2021 wouldn't be out of line. The other issue is that he originally conceptualized 3 books:

"Book 1" became roughly 4 actual books (First 3 books, plus 1/2 of AFFC and ADWD).
    "Book 2" is already at 2 actual books (last half of AFFC and ADWD, + tWOW)
    "Book 3" -- ?

If he follows this pattern, he'll have at least 2 books for ADoS. And that's being conservative. Equally true to pattern would be tWoW getting split in two and there being 3 books for ADoS.

In short, this could be a while.
    I'm truly convinced that Martin will die before he ever finishes ASOIAF's main series.

At least we'll have... Wildcards.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I'm truly convinced that Martin will die before he ever finishes ASOIAF's main series.
    As is typical of fantasy writers. The best ones seem to write their best work last, thus resulting in their passing before they finish. Don't say that to Martin, though. He gets rather understandably upset if folks are fatalistic like that. Or more to the point, don't accuse him of being too slow.

I'm ok with waiting. I like his character development and intrigue. And I love the story he's built and the conventions he's smashed.

Deleted
    -snip-

I don't exactly know what the point of posting this video was, but don't post offtopic videos with no discussion.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2014-10-24 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm as pissed as you by the changes in season five, they've gone full Legend of the Seeker of this motherfucker and you NEVER go full Legend of the Seeker... But come on, the later parts of Tyrion's journeys are the weakest of his whole plot.
    Huh, I disagree - I actually thought his early moments after crossing the narrow sea were the weakest. I loved his interpersonal exchanges and watching having to crush his pride to survive. Plus, the scale it gave to the East was huge for me, and it helped build upon everything that it's important to the late game of this story.

Personally, I thought it was fundamental.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, I disagree - I actually thought his early moments after crossing the narrow sea were the weakest. I loved his interpersonal exchanges and watching having to crush his pride to survive. Plus, the scale it gave to the East was huge for me, and it helped build upon everything that it's important to the late game of this story.

Personally, I thought it was fundamental.
    When I say "The later parts of his journey" I mean everything after he left King's Landing. All the parts on the boat with Young Griff and onwards. The later parts with... Penny, were a bit better, but still nothing on his early days in King's Landing.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    tWoW has been delayed til 2016.

As for the photo. I'm betting that it won't be quite so bad as some people are thinking:

I'm betting that that photo is taken from late in the season, giving Tyrion some almost-appropriate travel time. Keep in mind that both Sansa's and Bran's storylines have run up against the book wall. So the show will likely be giving much more focus and thus much more screen time to the Essos storylines. (I think they'll have a bit more of both of Bran and Sansa, but not much.)

I originally thought they might also be folding Yezzan zo Qaggaz's character into Hizdahr zo Loraq's, so as not to overly confuse show watchers. However it appears they have cast the character of Yezzan, so I'm not sure what to think.

I very sincerely doubt that Connington and fAegon are out. I bet we'll see a good deal of both of them, as well as Varys and Illyrio either this season or next.
    Dear God they delayed it until 2016? I read an interview with the Bran character and he's not going to be on the next season (at least I think. It's been awhile)

I'm re-reading a Feast for Crows right now, it's the book I remember the least of (after the rollercoaster which was a Clash of Kings)....it's definitely more interesting the second time around, knowing what's happening in aDwD and in the future.

It's also the worst book of the serie
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988