Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6xFsj8bATCQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Mel is sad that you denigrate the title of "soldier".
    The thing that I find most amusing is that he doesn't get that with everything we know about Randyll Tarly he probably finds being called a soldier to be a compliment.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    The thing that I find most amusing is that he doesn't get that with everything we know about Randyll Tarly he probably finds being called a soldier to be a compliment.
    Yup. Also, in my travels to find that picture from "We were Soldiers", I found this:

http://i.imgur.com/8Vw1gpx.jpg

Only the link 'cause the pic is too big. Given the context of what I was finding the picture for, the coincidence in this poster cracked me up.

Deleted
    Describing someone as they are described in the books is being super vague and generic?
    Randyll Tarly is described as a male human in the books,
    surely you need not more imagination, that has been your whole fail position all along

Randyll Tarly, the man who defeated Robert Baratheon, something prince Rhaegar Targaryen failed to do, called one of the best commanders in Westeros is to be described in the same word as one can describe a grunt.

We can't have people thinking he should be called Lord of Horn Hill, one of best commanders in Westeros, no shout them down with that you have read books, you are special.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDayne View Post
    surely you need not more imagination, that has been your whole fail position all along

Randyll Tarly, the man who defeated Robert Baratheon, something prince Rhaegar Targaryen failed to do, called one of the best commanders in Westeros is to be described in the same word as one can describe a grunt.

We can't have people thinking he should be called Lord of Horn Hill, one of best commanders in Westeros, no shout them down with that you have read books, you are special.
    Nobody said he wasn't a good commanding officer. That misconstruction was entirely your attempt to straw-man Helden's statements. So screw off with the attempts at deception. No, this happened because you tried to claim that Randyll wasn't much of a fighter, which the story clearly says he's capable of. Then you, not Helden, tried to get all pissy about "soldier", when it's a very apt description of Randyll and everything he feels is important.

The rest of your post doesn't even make sense as you've approached mouth-foaming levels of poor sentence construction.

Deleted
    What the fuck? He never said Mace was some amazing commander. Stop tilting at windmills already. (And fourth time you have misconstrued someone's statements in your last four posts.) Mace unfortunately does outrank him due to feudal fealty, however.
    I'm allowed to make comparisons, dafuq are you on about? Mace outranks him, no shit, but Mace let Robert get away when Randyll had him by the balls.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm allowed to make comparisons, dafuq are you on about? Mace outranks him, no shit, but Mace let Robert get away when Randyll had him by the balls.
    Except your supposed "comparison" was outta left field and had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. The textbook definition of a "red herring". All you've done so far is make poor assumptions, get proven wrong, strawman, red herring, and nitpick.

Face it. You tried to say Randyll wasn't much of a fighter and was good "behind the scenes". Effectively a strategist only. Helden had quotes to prove you wrong. Now you're casting about wildly to grab ahold of anything you can. Trying to say he's a better commander than Mace (Red Herring). Disingenuously calling eschat's desciptions from the book "generic" and calling him cute (ad-hominem, red herring). Misconstruing Helden's arguments (strawman).

Just stop. All you're spewing is trash and bad faith.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-05-31 at 10:56 PM.

Deleted

What sort of autistic books were you reading?

I'm just imaginging someone walking up to Randyll Tarly and saying "You are a human male".

Right, can I just take you all the way back to what my original post was that started all of this. Or rather the bit that you had a problem with.

What makes this a really stupid act by Sam, is that he knows who his father is. Randyll Tarly is a warrior, one of the finest soldiers in the Seven Kingdoms, he knows that he won't simply accept having his ancestral sword stolen, no noble house would,
    Nowhere in there did I state that he wasn't a commander. Nowhere in there did I state that he wasn't the Lord of Horn Hill. I simply stated a commonly held opinion of Randyll Tarly. Do you know why? Because everyone in this thread already knows that he's the Lord of Horn Hill, why? BECAUSE WE ALL WATCHED THE EPISODE. It doesn't need to be stated again. I didn't state that he was a commander, do you know why? BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE SHARES YOUR RETARDED DEFINITION OF A SOLDIER.

Nowhere in that post was I trying to describe Randyll Tarly to someone who has never met Randyll Tarly. I'm speaking to people who understand who he already is. Well, i'm speaking to a bunch of people who know he is, and one idiot who can't get over the fact that he's wandered into a thread trying to speak down to people because he's got a fucking account themed around ASOIAF, and he barely knows a fucking thing about it.

Deleted
    Nobody said he wasn't a good commanding officer. That misconstruction was entirely your attempt to straw-man Helden's statements. So screw off with the attempts at deception. No, this happened because you tried to claim that Randyll wasn't much of a fighter, which the story clearly says he's capable of. Then you, not Helden, tried to get all pissy about "soldier", when it's a very apt description of Randyll and everything he feels is important.

The rest of your post doesn't even make sense as you've approached mouth-foaming levels of poor sentence construction.
    ahem...

And who are you comparing Randyll against swordsmanship wise? Sure he's no Jaime Lannister or Arthur Dayne, but he'd beat the hell out of Sam no 2 ways about it.
    Look, I said he was a commander n got shit for it "I HAF READ BOOKS, I SAW THE WORD SOLDIER, THIS IS THE DESCRIPTION LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!" treatment. Now you are trying to backtrack...and the way you two then started raving about the word soldier in dictionaries took the price.

Deleted
    ahem...

Look, I said he was a commander n got shit for it "I HAF READ BOOKS, I SAW THE WORD SOLDIER, THIS IS THE DESCRIPTION LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!" treatment. Now you are trying to backtrack...and the way you two then started raving about the word soldier in dictionaries took the price.
    I never once mentioned reading the books until it became clear that you haven't.

And what the hell do those 2 quotes have to do with each other.

Deleted
    Face it. You tried to say Randyll wasn't much of a fighter and was good "behind the scenes". Effectively a strategist only. Helden had quotes to prove you wrong.
    No, he himself said Randyll wasn't a great fighter, so what the fuck are talking about???

Deleted
    No, he himself said Randyll wasn't a great fighter, so what the fuck are talking about???
    No I didn't.

What the fuck are you even on.

Deleted
    I never once mentioned reading the books until it became clear that you haven't.

And what the hell do those 2 quotes have to do with each other.
    Having read the books I know he was a commander, a difference that is decision-making from the guard posted at the gates. I chose more accurate descriptions why you held on to the most vague description you could find n you waved reading books like some achievement n special, lol..

- - - Updated - - -

No I didn't.

What the fuck are you even on.
    You just got owned.

Your words.

And who are you comparing Randyll against swordsmanship wise? Sure he's no Jaime Lannister or Arthur Dayne, but he'd beat the hell out of Sam no 2 ways about it.
    Or you think someone who can beat Sam is a great fighter?

Jaime Lannister was considered the best swordsman in the land. The best swordsman in the land before him? Ser Arthur Dayne, who was so badass he had a badass nickname The Sword of the Morning. Which is hilarious, since that's your username. Tarly *isn't* as good a swordsman as those guys. That doesn't mean he's not good at fighting. Ned Stark was good at fighting, but didn't compare to those two. Robert Baratheon won his rebellion, and wasn't much of a swordsman at all, he user a warhammer.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone can beat up Sam, that's precisely his point. It wasn't a comment on his swordsmanship. What was a comment on his swordsmanship was the phrase before, where he directly compared his SWORDSMANSHIP (not his fighting, mind you) to Jaime and Arthur Dayne.

Do they teach reading comprehension in schools any more? This is basic stuff.

Deleted
    You just got owned.

Your words.

I said that he isn't the same level as Jaime Lannister or Arthur Dayne.

How is that stating that he isn't a great fighter? Don't get me wrong, I don't actually know what level of fighter Randyll Tarly is, but I know he's not as good as Jaime Lannister or Arthur Dayne and that he could easily beat up Sam.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I refuse to believe that this is a reading comprehension problem.

He said he likely wasn't on the level of Jaime or Arthur (given reputation likely true.) He said that as a qualifying factor to establish that he wasn't trying to make Tarly out to be a sword-god (an extreme position). And then went on to disagree with your statement that Tarly was only a planner. He did this precisely because you previously had tried to say that he wasn't a good fighter. --
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDayne
    He is more a commander, strategist, not known as being good with the sword. He is like Tywin Lannister, a planner.
    and again
    and a two-year-old girl can beat up Sam, that doesn't make Randyll an awesome sword fighter.
    AND AGAIN
    I just wanted to point it out he's like Tywin..behind the scenes planner.

Do not try to claim anything different. That quote, preceding Helden's is what was wrong. He proved it wrong with quotes. His statement about Jaime/Arthur was purely to show that he wasn't extreme. You just now tried to take it out of context and twist it. Yet again. You are either incapable of understanding the nuance of the progression of conversation. Or you actually did realize your mistake and refuse to acknowledge mistakes and are using every dirty trick to try and distract from it. For the sake of not assuming you're stupid, I will defer to the latter.

Tarly wasn't purely "behind the scenes" as you tried to claim. He was both commander and soldier. Fighter and planner. The guy worships the art of warfare, and has obviously endeavoured to master both the tactics and the grunt work. Was he the absolute best? Probably not. (ie. not the extreme position.) Indeed he has an earthy appreciation for hard work. So much so that he despises Sam precisely because Sam is soft.

Now stop.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-05-31 at 11:20 PM.

Deleted
    Having read the books I know he was a commander, a difference that is decision-making from the guard posted at the gates. I chose more accurate descriptions why you held on to the most vague description you could find n you waved reading books like some achievement n special, lol..
    I didn't hold on to a vague description. I'm just gonna say this one more time and I really really really really hope it sinks in.

I DESCRIBED HIM AS HE IS DESCRIBED IN THE BOOKS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Jaime Lannister was considered the best swordsman in the land. The best swordsman in the land before him? Ser Arthur Dayne, who was so badass he had a badass nickname The Sword of the Morning. Which is hilarious, since that's your username. Tarly *isn't* as good a swordsman as those guys. That doesn't mean he's not good at fighting. Ned Stark was good at fighting, but didn't compare to those two. Robert Baratheon won his rebellion, and wasn't much of a swordsman at all, he user a warhammer.
    Eh no, sword of the morning is hereditary title of his house, refers to holder of house white sword.

You dropped a lot of names, names we saw in tourneys and battles. What tourney did Randyll win? Who did he defeat one on one in battle? Besides one mention of some Targaryen no-name loyalist?? To say he can climb a ladder in a siege, that was the single 'example' used against me in this thread, big deal, anyone can do that. My whole point is that Randyll distinguished himself as a commander and in nothing else.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't hold on to a vague description. I'm just gonna say this one more time and I really really really really hope it sinks in.

I DESCRIBED HIM AS HE IS DESCRIBED IN THE BOOKS
    Again, he is described as a male human in the books. Now if you want to, you can take that and make a description of Randyll with it.

I gave the most accurate description and you got butt-hurt over it.

This thread is 1 page of discussion to 9 pages of salt, it's fascinating!

Who else looking forward to Blackfish next episode?
    Quote Originally Posted by Health View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    Besides, you don't gain any knowledge of a useful spec if you level as BM
    When you're asleep, me and an enchancement shaman are gonna enter your room and beastcleave you to tears.

Deleted
    Again, he is described as a male human in the books. Now if you want to, you can take that and make a description of Randyll with it.

Can you link the post with the butt hurt?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh no, sword of the morning is hereditary title of his house, refers to holder of house white sword.

You dropped a lot of names, names we saw in tourneys and battles. What tourney did Randyll win? Who did he defeat one on one in battle? Besides one mention of some Targaryen no-name loyalist?? To say he can climb a ladder in a siege, that was the single 'example' used against me in this thread, big deal, anyone can do that. My whole point is that Randyll distinguished himself as a commander and in nothing else.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you tried to claim he was a behind-the-scenes planner. He has made a point of fighting in the van / frontlines of the army. Ergo he is not only a behind the scenes planner. Therefore your attempt to claim victory as the "best description" is also wrong. (And it wasn't some challenge to best describe Tarly anyway...)

Your "male human" is an attempt at argumentum-ad-absurdum. But you've strawmanned instead of creating a true comparison, because the statements made by eschat were not vague.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-05-31 at 11:25 PM.