Deleted

Proposed Archaeology change

(Copied my post from http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2098121472 since I didn't get a lot of replies Maybe people here will comment on it, and see what they think about this)

Greetings,

As it stands now archaeology is too much RNG. It seems kind of unfair to me that some people get specific rare (Zin'rokh and Tol'vir mount for instance) after a really short amount spent on this profession.

(Inc personal bull%!#*, feel free to skip to the last 2 paragraphs for my idea)

I'm currently sitting on 145 Tol'vir solves and I have completed 2 'rare' artifacts (You know, the ones everybody gets). A few days ago a guildie of mine found the pet from Tol'vir on a solve in the 30s. Then yesterday that same person got the mount on solve #42. EDIT: She got the rare staff at dig 48... Much rejoice and all! The thing is, that much luck is kind of a huge blow to people who've spent much more time working on this and yes, I'm aware that there's also a lot of others who dug up way more than me.

I already have the luck that I got all Fossil and Night Elf rares so the change in patch 4.1 did help (Got a lot more Tol'vir but Night Elf still pop frequently).

I've seen people who suggested to be able to 'focus' on one race but imo that's a bit over the top. If you do that on Kalimdor and disable Night Elf you will never have to go higher than Stonetalon/Barrens due to Fossil digsites.

Why not simply increase the % chance of finding a rare on each solve ? It would probably still take a long time. Example: On each Tol'vir solve you gain a 0.2% chance to find a Tol'vir rare. Next solve it will be 0.4% (Obviously added on top of the original % chance). This way you know that eventually something will drop and the RNG will still be there. You just have that feeling in your head to keep on going because at every single solve your % of finding a rare increases.

I'm no archaeologist in real life but I'd say with every item from past civilizations people find they learn more and more about the past. It's kind of the same really. I still like Archaeology because I have that motivation (Or maybe a disorder :P) and I will keep going. But it's just torture that someone is so incredible lucky while you worked your ass off for it. RNG is nice and all but not for those who see someone else get a really rare item after their 10th solve.

Good suggestions.

I should point out that blizzard doesnt read any of these posts and making any suggestions on MMO will do nothing but open up a discussion with us members of mmo. Sure there may be some blizzard employees who read these forums, but..

The world of warcraft forums: there is a place to suggest changes to the game.

MMO is a great place to open a discussion such as this, and use the communites suggestion to form a better post on the wow forums.

Thank you for your post. I look forward to the development of this thread.

Just as a example: I made a post on the offical forums about being capped at 200 fragments, and digging up a new lootable item, and trying to loot it and it giving an error that i had to many fragments and it disappeared.

I worked on it, and gave examples and showed in my post to them that it was either a bug, or something they over looked, and they should change it. The next patch the problem was solved. Now, if you have 200 fragments of a race, and you dig and get a lootable item it will give you the error message that you cannot hold anymore of that item. The lootable item now stays on the ground giving you a change to solve an artifact to be able to now loot the item on the ground giving you the fragments, instead of duisapearing.
    Last edited by morpsend; 2011-05-14 at 09:32 PM.

Deleted
    I've already put it on the official forums but decided to also post it here. Curious what opinions other people have about this.

a secondary profession isnt meant to be something you need so i really dont see any reason to increase chance for rares = /. and trust me i hate rng just as much as u but im not gonna stop just because it takes awhile.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have made some posts myself about the profession on the official forums, but I quit keeping up with them because it seemed like a lost cause. It's been five months and I'm beginning to believe Blizzard really doesn't give two shits about people being unhappy with it. I can't think of a single aspect of the game where people bitched them out this often for this long and they didn't even do so much as address the issue.

I would certainly like for changes to be implemented and many decent changes have been suggested, but complaints are falling on deaf ears.

At 340 Tol'vir solves and still no staff (but everything else), I decided to say fuck it. I've wasted enough time beating my head against a wall and I'm not coming back unless they make changes. Not crossing my fingers, though.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2011-05-14 at 10:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are going to give the rare to everyone after 100 common solves, why not just give it to them right away? If everyone is going to get it any ways, why wait? Why not just allow them to buy it off a vendor, using fragments as currency, when they get the required fragments? It would be the same thing.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2011-05-14 at 10:52 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    a secondary profession isnt meant to be something you need so i really dont see any reason to increase chance for rares = /. and trust me i hate rng just as much as u but im not gonna stop just because it takes awhile.
    Neither will I.

The idea about this is that you have some kind of certainty that eventually you'll get it. Yes, even without this you might get it but if you look at my amount of completed digs then that means I'll get a rare every 150 digs or so. That's kind of retarded compared to people who managed to get 5 Tol'vir rares below solving 50 digs. Ofcourse, RNG is RNG, I bet I could theoretically 2 rares in a row but that would be like winning the multi million lottery. THAT is unfair against the people who are so incredible lucky. See I for one don't really care about what I get, I do Archaeology because I... *gasp*... like it. And my morale drops a lot when I hear people being so lucky with such small time investment.

And before someone brings it up, farming mounts or spawncamping rares is different.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If you are going to give the rare to everyone after 100 common solves, why not just give it to them right away? If everyone is going to get it any ways, why wait? Why not just allow them to buy it off a vendor, using fragments as currency, when they get the required fragments? It would be the same thing.
    You don't get it. Have you actually been working on this ? It's luck vs time investment. And everybody knows the time investment in this profession is HUGE (Add on top of that, all but the vanity items will be pretty weak in 4.2, only good for alts). With this change, it might still take forever. And besides, it needs to be fun (It's a game, games can be tedious and sometimes they should be but this randomness is way too much).
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2011-05-14 at 10:56 PM.

no idea about arch changes but my friend started leveling it after patch and he found troll sword, dwarf staff and tolvir ring already. He is either lucky S.O.B or they changed proc chance maybe?
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

Quote Originally Posted by Naposim1337 View Post
    no idea about arch changes but my friend started leveling it after patch and he found troll sword, dwarf staff and tolvir ring already. He is either lucky S.O.B or they changed proc chance maybe?
    Lucky. And I'd love that change, so I knew I'd ever get that damn Zin'rokh .. *curse silently*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    You don't get it. Have you actually been working on this ? It's luck vs time investment. And everybody knows the time investment in this profession is HUGE (Add on top of that, all but the vanity items will be pretty weak in 4.2, only good for alts). With this change, it might still take forever. And besides, it needs to be fun (It's a game, games can be tedious and sometimes they should be but this randomness is way too much).
    I don't think you understand your proposed change if you think it will still take forever. Eventually with your idea you will come to a 100% chance which isn't forever. And if the items are outdated in 4.2, then why is it such a big deal how long it takes? How will adding a 100% chance to get the item after X solves making it fun? If you don't find it fun now to grind away with a random chance, why would it be fun to grind away with a chance to get if "It might still take forever" (your own words)?

Like I said though, why not just allow people to buy the rare from a vendor? Its the same thing, allowing everyone to get it. The problem is you think you should still grind, something you don't find fun now.

And yes I've done archaeology. I have 10 rares and working on more. I just treat it for what it is, a fun thing to do when I have nothing else to do in wow. None of the items are that spectacular and I can get equivalents pretty easily now with a little work since 4.1 introduced "epic" items from 5-mans. Would I want a guaranteed chance to get a rare artifact after X common solves? Sure. Do I think it will make the profession more fun? Nope.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2011-05-14 at 11:14 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    Lucky. And I'd love that change, so I knew I'd ever get that damn Zin'rokh .. *curse silently*
    God now im gonna hate him even more, i spent 2 months trying to get that fucking sword after release, decided to raid and got nef's sword later but now my friend spent literally 20 hours of the last 5 days farming it and he has the sword + staff and ring.... i think im gonna kill him
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

Totally agree with your suggestion. I hated spending weeks farming for that stupid sword, only at the end realizing I was no closer to it than I was when I started.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Climbing into my 300th Solve for NE. (All others completed)
    JACKSHIT trinket... Which i dnt even want. Just want more digs in Tol'vir

Got the mount, pendant and pet

DNt require any of the or Tol'vir items. Just a completest(currently 26 rares)
    My personal opinion is too leave it as is.
    Make you work for sumthing that is desired, not needed

My friend got Zin'Rokh at 763 Solves and he is proud to wield it becoz of the timesink he spent on it.
    We both farmed Arch since release where you didnt make any money from it

Marweinicus I am not able to post anymore on the EU forums anymore. Did they stop peoples ability to post on the opposite forums? are you on the EU forums? if so, are you able to post on the us forums?

Deleted
    Well u didnt make money on arch pre 4.0.1? Man u must be insane, if u sold keystones u could make a nice profit. Troll/ne/dwarf were like 100-200g, nerubian 500 and tolvir over 1k...i dont say it is much, but still it was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvitko View Post
    Well u didnt make money on arch pre 4.0.1? Man u must be insane, if u sold keystones u could make a nice profit. Troll/ne/dwarf were like 100-200g, nerubian 500 and tolvir over 1k...i dont say it is much, but still it was nice.
    i made 300k+ plus pre 4.1. i agree. if you didnt make gold you didnt know what was going on...sorry, you missed the gold rush.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by morpsend View Post
    Marweinicus I am not able to post anymore on the EU forums anymore. Did they stop peoples ability to post on the opposite forums? are you on the EU forums? if so, are you able to post on the us forums?
    I think with the Battlenet merge people could no longer reply on the EU forums (If you're from the US, and the other way around).

It's sad.

But maybe you could copy my post and put it on the US forums? That would be pretty awesome (Even though Blizzard sais that they read both forums, I do believe on US servers there's more guarantee that it will be read).

Are you on the EU forums? i'd love to swap posts.

We have an archeology community here, and we need someone to post our BIG post, soon.

Send me a tell in private message, and let me know how i can help you