Thread: Holy vs Disc

Holy vs Disc

Hi! New priest (alt) healer here. I've been healing quite a lot as disc, mostly heroics few raids (10m). Been trying holy, but I simply fail to see where's the strenght of it. Other then 25s raid healing, holy (to my oppinion) fails in comparison. Now, don't start flaming or talking l2p shit. I'd like to see a fair explantion (maybe even a playstyle) of a good holy priest. In my experience, as disc I have bigger heals, bubble, penance, and usefull CDs. Holy on the other hand could do spam healing one target better (FH/FH/GH) but since it has lower mana pool that would drain it faster... Also i realize holy is better for aoe healing, but in most fights disc can cope with it as well...

As I said, I'd like a well stated explanation of holy. Thanks in advance for not flaming a new priest.
    Last edited by latzko; 2011-05-17 at 12:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy's most importance strength is that it can provide all kinds of healing, and change how it's healing pretty much on the fly. Other than that Holy has better tools to AoE heal. Holy is actually worse at single target healing than Discipline, so I don't really get where you've got that idea from. Serendipity isn't exactly changing how I heal, just a nice bonus if I happen to have to cast Flash Heal.
    In my experience, as disc I have bigger heals
    No, you don't really. Heals are pretty much the same size for each spec.
    bubble
    Holy has Power Word: Shield as well, but it isn't as efficient. Holy does have more use out of Renew.
    penance
    Holy has Serenity in a single target context, and gets Circle of Healing, where Discipline would get Penance.
    and usefull CDs.
    Pain Suppression? Guardian Spirit? Holy doesn't need a AoE cooldown like Power Word: Barrier, because it has the tools to heal up that damage pretty fast.

If you want to know how a Holy Priests heals in 5 man dungeons and heroic, you can check the guide in my signature.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

If you want to be a good healer play holy. If you want to look good on meters because of successful heal sniping play disc. It really is just a matter of preference if you are talking 25 mans.

Whoa now. You can be a great healer as Discipline, too... but you have to be of the mindset that meter performance is not the reason you're there.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Ariahna View Post
    If you want to be a good healer play holy. If you want to look good on meters because of successful heal sniping play disc. It really is just a matter of preference if you are talking 25 mans.
    Are you suggesting that disc is worthless and you're only helping your raid if you heal as holy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kinetiks View Post
    Are you suggesting that disc is worthless and you're only helping your raid if you heal as holy?
    Sounds like he's suggesting that somehow by topping the meters you aren't contributing to the fight at all.

No, you don't really. Heals are pretty much the same size for each spec.
    With Archangel (which is in most disc specs, and also pretty easy to keep on) and 3/3 Grace I've had slighly higher crits/heals then for the small amount of playing as holy.

Holy has Power Word: Shield as well, but it isn't as efficient. Holy does have more use out of Renew.
    I tend not to overuse PW shield cause of its mana cost, but rather to use it as oh shit, and regular mana gain. Where as holy you would just waste 6-7k mana for 20k(? dunno as holy...) I do agree, i rarely use renew as disc, since I rely more on heal then renew...

Pain Suppression? Guardian Spirit? Holy doesn't need a AoE cooldown like Power Word: Barrier, because it has the tools to heal up that damage pretty fast.
    PI also comes very handy... But I do agree there with you...

If you want to know how a Holy Priests heals in 5 man dungeons and heroic, you can check the guide in my signature.
    I've read it, but I still find disc easier to control dmg in 5mans. I've asked this question mostly cause I was healing BWD and was on Chimaeron (normal ofc) and from experience i've had on my main i know holy is much better there and I healed it through as disc...

Thanks for your answers, helped a lot :]