Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Al'akir Heroic 10 Man Phase 2 Questions

Hi Guys,

Hoping for some advanced insight into what has worked for people in terms of phase 2 mechanics.

Here is our composition:

Debuff Clearers:
    1 DK Tank
    1 DPS DK
    1 Rogue
    1 Mage
    1 Holy Paladin (Healer)
    1 Ret Paladin

Non-Clearers:
    Holy Priest (Healer)
    Resto Druid (Healer)
    Resto Shaman (Healer)
    Fury Warrior

As you can see, we are using the 4 DPS 1 tank strategy. We didn't think having the ret pally offtank the adds was a good idea because we are already down 1 DPS to have that 4th healer.

My questions:

1) Given our comp, how many people should be DPSing the adds?
    2) How can our DK tank control threat... Seems like our arcane mage is pulling threat on them.
    3) How do you handle where the adds spawn and getting them to the tank?
    4) How do the ranged and melee stack? Should range stand max distance behind the tank?
    5) Any additional tips?

Thanks so much!

Wait so who are you having tank the adds?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    MT tanks adds + Al'akir.

Really? And he doesn't get his shit pushed in? Good for your healers

We had our dps DK switch into blood presence and tank them off to the side, death grip is amazing during that phase

That would also probably help your threat problems, since the add tank wouldn't have to worry about Al'Akir at all

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you guys use 4 healers or 3?

I want to say 3, and have them stand kind of in the middle-ish of the platform with your mage (behind the melee) so that they can avoid the spawning adds, the debuff just makes everything harder than it needs to be if it goes through the raid.

---------- Post added 2011-05-19 at 03:19 PM ----------

And with regards to dpsing the adds, it's probably all on the mage. He should be fine it just means he won't get to lay into Al'Akir as much.
    And Arcane is amazing for that fight, if he isn't already

Ideally either the druid can go boomkin or the priest can go shadow. Dot up the add and have the DK dps who will be tanking the adds + the mage kill it at the proper time.

That would also work if they have the spec, they'll just have to be smart about the healing

15+ Year Old Account
    We used a protpaladin tanking both adds and Al'akir with me as solo Shadowpriest handling adds till about 6th stack without any need for help, you should be killing 1st add more or less moment 3rd one spawns otherwise they will obliterate tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Really? And he doesn't get his shit pushed in? Good for your healers
    Our Prot paladin tanked the adds and Al'Akir and we used a 3 heal 1 tank strat.

You need a second ranged. I don't think it's possible for one mage to solo the Stormlings and keep Feedback up properly.

Losing Feedback before Lust is almost always a wipe. Anyone touching a Stormling near the end of the phase is almost always a wipe.

With 6 whole people that can clear their debuff, including your tank (DKs are the most OP class for solo tanking this boss), you should run 3 healers, 1 tank, and 2 ranged. Both ranged will have to take care of Stormlings.

Not having a hunter for MD on the adds sucks.

One thing that helped us was having everyone move away from Stormling spawns. They will zap people once or twice before they start to move to the tank, regardless of threat. All mobs that spawn take a second or two to "activate", but the Stormlings' "aura" will hit people before they activate.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    We used a protpaladin tanking both adds and Al'akir with me as solo Shadowpriest handling adds till about 6th stack without any need for help, you should be killing 1st add more or less moment 3rd one spawns otherwise they will obliterate tank.
    Do you then have another ranged help you out?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Do you then have another ranged help you out?
    Since we had Demo Lock + Boomkin in raid I just called out DoTs on new add, followed by fulltime nuke as we progressed.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    We used 3 healers & 1 tank (taking both boss and adds). And the boss went down on the first night of progress.

This does of course require people in general to avoid taking stacks from the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotron View Post
    Our Prot paladin tanked the adds and Al'Akir and we used a 3 heal 1 tank strat.
    Maybe I'm confusing 25 with 10 then.

Either way we used our DK dps for 10 because it was just easier

Deleted
    Also 3 healed with a tank tanking both boss and adds. One DPS (plus the tank) was enough to kill adds in time.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people are saying 3 tanks, but when we did that we had massive issues in P1 because we had to have a couple people stand right on top of each other in order to be reached with heals. How do you do P1 positioning with 3 instead of 4?

Yeah some spots have two people, it's really easy to heal through.

I don't remember how we actually had it set up though, all that I know is that our paladin was on our tank

You have 7 spots to work with and you got at least 3 melee. So have each melee in a group of 2 with either a ranged or a healer. When lightning goes out the melee can switch to the spot either left or right...or you can heal through it.

Deleted
    I would use your dps dk (to tank) + mage to kill adds while everyone does boss. Blood pressence and death grip will take you a long way.

Use cloak/ams at 4 stacks and then on cd. Bubble/iceblock at 10 stacks.

Deleted
    Having your MT hold stormlings is definitely viable. Our healers said it became a lot easier (with a feral tank) on them after we stopped having the DK dps offtank - each to their own i guess. You've got a lot of classes who can clear their debuffs, an extra dps will probably be of more benefit than the 4th healer.

Spread everyone out evenly across the platform.There'll need to be a couple of ppl stacked who might have to eat 1-2 ticks of the chain in the lightning cone, but as long as they're onto it and get out of the area asap you shouldn't have too much issue.