Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ice Block in PvP

Hi guys,
    So lately I've been having fun with my Fire mage in PvP but I have a problem, I don't seem to know when should I use my Ice Block.
    So, when would be a good chance to use it?

Thx

Solo PvP? arena? BG?

Deleted
    I usually use it to remove the cauterize debuff.
    Use it when it will prevent a death and/or waste enemy cooldowns.
    Just don't use it like most idiotic mages and when you are about to die when 5 people are destroying you to waste several seconds of everyones life.

You should use it before their nuke so when you notice their procs and they move in.

When you are in trouble or when your opponents use a strong offensive move that would result you taking a lot of dmg.

Back in the day mages used it when locks used death coil, when BM hunters use beast within (or what's it called), if you don't have blink when a warrior is using bladestorm etc.

Also when classes like rogue or DK are using anti magic abilities and they are on your tail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senxy View Post
    Solo PvP? arena? BG?
    BG and Solo PvP. not geared enough for arenas yet.

OT: Okay, so i'm going to use it when oponents are about to nuke my ass off ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I usually use it to remove the cauterize debuff.
    Use it when it will prevent a death and/or waste enemy cooldowns.
    Just don't use it like most idiotic mages and when you are about to die when 5 people are destroying you to waste several seconds of everyones life.
    Thats actually not a bad thing to do if you have your eles freeze and blink off of cd. Freeze them, counterspell the dk, drop RoF on their head and pop invisibility. As fire, you are probably screwed however.

Use it.. when your going to die ? !

If you see someone use a CD like wings or solar beam / starfall, you can use block, or just spellsteal the buff... OP MAGE OMG .

10+ Year Old Account
    Never! cus it annoys others!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rtjason View Post
    Thats actually not a bad thing to do if you have your eles freeze and blink off of cd. Freeze them, counterspell the dk, drop RoF on their head and pop invisibility. As fire, you are probably screwed however.
    but surely you have seen those mages in a battleground that pop block when they are 1 vs 10 with no one around to save them and just sit in it thinking they are winning? only to be destroyed in .1 of a second when it ends

but surely you have seen those mages in a battleground that pop block when they are 1 vs 10 with no one around to save them and just sit in it thinking they are winning? only to be destroyed in .1 of a second when it ends
    Those are usually the idiots that charged into ten people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    I assume you aren't doing Arena and don't have a pocket healer.

Battleground w/ no healer: To remove DoTs or when you know help is almost there. Also, to further delay the capping of a node by further delaying your death.

Sometimes I will Iceblock (around a corner out of LoS) to clear my DoTs so that I can Invis, get away, drink up, then get back into the fight.

A good way to tell if you're using it effectively is if it wasn't followed by your death directly afterward. Like another said, there's no point in doing it with 5 players on you (unless heals are incoming).

I wanted to add that if you have Herbalism you can macro Lifeblood into your Iceblock because Lifeblood doesn't trigger a GCD.

On a related note, if you are an engineer then you could possibly Iceblock with 5 players on you and live, you just have to time it right and get lucky. Granted there isn't a Warrior with Shattering Throw, etc... pay attention to the other players and what they are doing. If there is a caster, see if they are chaining some spell... and wait until it hits, then cancel Iceblock, Blink in the most advantageous direction, and pop your Rocket Boots (followed by an Invis if needed). That works sometimes.
    Alot of info and help in this post (and other ones ofc)
    Ty very much

In a BG, if you can get 5 enemys to moronically beat on a block of ice for X seconds, instead of protecting or attacking a flag or objective, you're winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafinator View Post
    In a BG, if you can get 5 enemys to moronically beat on a block of ice for X seconds, instead of protecting or attacking a flag or objective, you're winning.
    amg, this is so very true.
    Turn all that hate melee have for Frost Mages against themselves.
    Your mere presence can peel any amount of butthurt Warriors, Pally's, Rogues and Hunters.

Seriously.

In random BG's, melee will forget objectives and team efforts to kill the Frost Mage.
    Take advantage of that:
    /cast Ring of Frost
    /cast Ice Block
    /lol

Get a cone of cold in there too, pop MI to lay down some blanket snares. Slow them all down.
    You may not have big epeen numbers, but I guarantee you made a... "impact".
    /sunglasses

Use it when

A rogue pops cloak of shadows and you can't escape being hit
    A hunter pops dps cd's and you can't get to him
    A warrior uses his cooldowns better than you and you get Colossus Smashed/Throwdown'd and you have no way to escape.
    A warlock puts ALL of his dots on you, gg you just wasted a bunch of his gcd's
    A deathknight pops AMS and some dps cd's...just sit in block n wait for them to expire

Against the other classes there isn't really a specific time...since theyre all spellsteal/slow fights where as the top 5 fights are super quick

.... ya I dunno

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Use it right when cauterize procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafinator View Post
    if winning means taking advantage of tards

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    if winning means taking advantage of tards
    That's generally what winning is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    On a related note, if you are an engineer then you could possibly Iceblock with 5 players on you and live, you just have to time it right and get lucky. Granted there isn't a Warrior with Shattering Throw, etc... pay attention to the other players and what they are doing. If there is a caster, see if they are chaining some spell... and wait until it hits, then cancel Iceblock, Blink in the most advantageous direction, and pop your Rocket Boots (followed by an Invis if needed). That works sometimes.
    Would it be possible with /cancelaura Ice Block; /use RocketBootsPewPew-ish macro?

And as some others have said, there's no point in using Ice Block if you have 5 enemys smashing you - UNLESS you're trying to get their attention so a team member can cap a flag or something.