The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Help my sister find the perfect non-gaming laptop for college

So, I told my sister I'd help her figure out which of the laptops she pointed out in the latest Consumer Report magazine would probably be the best. Note: she is no gamer, in fact she hates WoW. XD Anyways, she's mostly just going to use it for college work, internet browsing, maybe Skype, listening to music, and that's about it.

Here's some laptops and links, sorry but I couldn't find the HP one she pointed out on newegg... don't really like HP anyways, so could we care less? :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-143-_-Product
    Dell Inspiron i14R-1296LPK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-985-_-Product
    Acer Aspire AS5742-6814

The HP if you want to know, is an HP G62-373DX.

Each of these had some pretty good reviews in Consumer Reports. Budget is $599, why she doesn't say $600... idk. >_>
    Made this thread because I hate laptops, know very little about them, other than they cannot compare to towers. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Just buy something cheap. If she doesn't game, then it really doesn't matter what the specs are as much. Unless of course she wants to be able to multi task, and is looking to have software pre-installed.

Most important question though, is she HOT ?

On a sidenote, I would go for the DELL !

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Personally I would avoid Dell like the plague. I used to only get Dell's but the last three computers I've bought from them (two desktops for family and my first laptop) had problems and horrible customer service. Dell's have gone from one of my favorites to my least favorite. The Acer looks good though
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get her a netbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Just get her a netbook.
    She doesn't want a small screen or keyboard.

So is Acer actually decent for laptops or anything? I've not heard much about them, and what I have was mixed, though that Acer does look decent.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does she mess with photoshop a lot? Programs like that need a decent graphics card and a good amount of ram.
    If she just needs it for research/Social Media/email... then just about anything will do don't need much to run win7 and browse the web.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulthor View Post
    Does she mess with photoshop a lot? Programs like that need a decent graphics card and a good amount of ram.
    If she just needs it for research/Social Media/email... then just about anything will do don't need much to run win7 and browse the web.
    No Photoshop - thanks for the added info.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Girls use pcs? Really?

[User has received an infraction for this post. - Cilraaz]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-05-27 at 01:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dell Inspiron line is pretty alright for College. It's what I use. It's also my gaming box, but it's certainly not the best for that.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    I just finished my third year in university and I used a Mac Book Pro throughout, never failed me, so if she has a high budget and doesn't mind using a different OS, those are sweet, run smooth, nice small size (not like other brick laptops) and in my opinion a nice design and well and reliable (at least for me).... Mac Books and Mac Book Pros are not for gaming really. However with the requirements that you listed that is basically doing work like MS office and browsing, she really could get away with a very cheap, even low end laptop, maybe even one of those netbooks which are great and very portable. A couple of my non-gamer friends have them and because of the size, they could carry them anywhere without taking much space.

I heard HP laptops are nice as well, maybe check them out? Not very good with windows based laptops since I haven't used one for a few years now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but one of the reasons I used a Mac and enjoyed it was because it was very stable and reliable when I used software like Logic and Photoshop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelle View Post
    I just finished my third year in university and I used a Mac Book Pro throughout, never failed me, so if she has a high budget and doesn't mind using a different OS, those are sweet, run smooth, nice small size (not like other brick laptops) and in my opinion a nice design and well and reliable (at least for me).... Mac Books and Mac Book Pros are not for gaming really. However with the requirements that you listed that is basically doing work like MS office and browsing, she really could get away with a very cheap, even low end laptop, maybe even one of those netbooks which are great and very portable. A couple of my non-gamer friends have them and because of the size, they could carry them anywhere without taking much space.

I heard HP laptops are nice as well, maybe check them out? Not very good with windows based laptops since I haven't used one for a few years now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but one of the reasons I used a Mac and enjoyed it was because it was very stable and reliable when I used software like Logic and Photoshop.
    Budget of $600, no use of Logic or Photoshop, and not wanting a netbook, all together point away from Mac Books.

---------- Post added 2011-05-27 at 01:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aemos View Post
    Girls use pcs? Really?
    This is a rude and unwarranted comment, you should refrain from posting crap like this. I'll bet that my sister is vastly more intelligent than you, based solely on a comment like this.
    "A flower.