eh, it sounds exactly like AA. bleh. and what is 'fast' to you? 5 mins? 15? an hour? see, it may seem very fast now but in a year or two or expansion or two that could be a 1000-2000 points required easily. if a point is earned every hour, that's 2000 hours required by a new person or someone returning a year or two from now.

anyway, thanks much for the answer, appreciate it. feel like i'm dodging a bullet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well anyone returning to any current mmo will be behind. Can't think of one where you can just pick up where you left off. These aren't AAs as those are additional to the main leveling of Eq2. SP and AP are the main ways to build your character.

Good hunting.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-06-13 at 10:30 PM.

i hear ya but here's an example:

i played wow on release. my wife and i got bored within 6 mos and i went back to everquest (1). i finally gave up on eq and went back to wow around the time of icc lich king, so something like a 5 year hiatus from wow. it took me maybe a month (if that) to level my vanilla level 60 druid to level 80 and have it geared for 10-man icc raids.

if the opposite had occured... if i had taken a 5 year hiatus from everquest? omg i don't even want to imagine how long it would take me to gain enough AAs to be let into a raid team.

i don't play wow anymore and it has issues of its own but i think they got it right on that part. someone can return, grab their levels fairly easy and some gear and get back into raiding pretty easy.

again, thanks much and i do hope TSW is something you guys enjoy for a long time. sounds like it has some very intriguing components.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfin View Post
    i hear ya but here's an example:

i played wow on release. my wife and i got bored within 6 mos and i went back to everquest (1). i finally gave up on eq and went back to wow around the time of icc lich king, so something like a 5 year hiatus from wow. it took me maybe a month (if that) to level my vanilla level 60 druid to level 80 and have it geared for 10-man icc raids.

if the opposite had occured... if i had taken a 5 year hiatus from everquest? omg i don't even want to imagine how long it would take me to gain enough AAs to be let into a raid team.

i don't play wow anymore and it has issues of its own but i think they got it right on that part. someone can return, grab their levels fairly easy and some gear and get back into raiding pretty easy.

again, thanks much and i do hope TSW is something you guys enjoy for a long time. sounds like it has some very intriguing components.
    Not sure if there's ever going to be tiered raid content like WoW in TSW. Being level-less, there's really no need for tiers. You're bound to miss out on a lot if you take a 5-year break from any game. Of course, the way WoW makes previous content obsolete with pretty much each patch, of course it's not going to take long to catch up. In TSW, I'm not sure there's going to be much to catch up to, to be honest. It's not looking to be a raid-or-die game so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Not sure if there's ever going to be tiered raid content like WoW in TSW. Being level-less, there's really no need for tiers. You're bound to miss out on a lot if you take a 5-year break from any game. Of course, the way WoW makes previous content obsolete with pretty much each patch, of course it's not going to take long to catch up. In TSW, I'm not sure there's going to be much to catch up to, to be honest. It's not looking to be a raid-or-die game so far.
    And dungeon/raid gear isn't mandatory. You can craft "blue" quality gear and glyphs. And use tokens from questing to buy gear. You do not need to dungeon crawl to get gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    And dungeon/raid gear isn't mandatory. You can craft "blue" quality gear and glyphs. And use tokens from questing to buy gear. You do not need to dungeon crawl to get gear.
    Plus you can get gear through PvPing as well, it just looks to take a longer time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Plus you can get gear through PvPing as well, it just looks to take a longer time.
    Depends on how tokens are acquired. I never pvp'd in the open betas. Is it just awarded at the end of a PvP warzone/bg? Are they awarded per kill in a WZ/BG? How many at a time? I know mission tokens are usually 1 or 2 at a time and gear is priced accordingly.

counting down to beta with yas

cant wait to try out this some more and illuminati!

Weren't all AAs in EQ directly improving your character? So the more you had, the more powerful you were?

If so, then it's not like this in TSW. If you choose a tree / skills you want to use and stick to them, then it shouldn't take long to reach all SPs needed for them. At this point additional SPs will let you unlock additional skills, but remember that there is 7 active and 7 passive skills limit. Which means those extra skills won't be useful to you, until you swap one of the skills for it. You may have many skills unlocked, but you can only use 7 & 7 at any given time.

So more SPs let you use more "specs" or "classes" anytime you want. But they don't really impact your efficiency at a particular spec, assuming you had unlocked all the skills you wanted for it.

So I guess that if you want make a break for x months and return, then your spec should still be as strong as it was, and people who played and gained more SPs will simply have more options, like if they had more alts in WoW. Unless devs add more skills - then you will probably have to get few more SPs to unlock new skills for your spec, but it should only be a few skills, like in WoW expansions
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    If so, then it's not like this in TSW. If you choose a tree / skills you want to use and stick to them, then it shouldn't take long to reach all SPs needed for them. At this point additional SPs will let you unlock additional skills, but remember that there is 7 active and 7 passive skills limit. Which means those extra skills won't be useful to you, until you swap one of the skills for it. You may have many skills unlocked, but you can only use 7 & 7 at any given time.

So more SPs let you use more "specs" or "classes" anytime you want. But they don't really impact your efficiency at a particular spec, assuming you had unlocked all the skills you wanted for it.
    SP unlocks skills, AP unlocks abilities. You can have 7 active abilities and 7 passive abilities. Don't confuse abilities with skills. Your "spec" is made by your abilities. Skills, once unlocked are passive buffs that you always have access to. You do not need to place them on a hot bar to use them.

Well, you still gain SPs and APs in the same way, and skills are useful only for the specific weapon. So in the end it's pretty much the same. You will most likely develop skills and abilities from the same "tree", and once you get all which you needed you can start branching out for alternate specs. Or am I wrong here?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    You gain them by getting XP. Yes. I was just pointing out that skills and abilities are two different things. You build your hot bars from abilities not skills.

I could be a DPS using Assault Rifles and I can dump all my SP into the healing tree for ARs because I want to solo and then go back and add newly acquired SP to the Damage tree. That would be silly, but I can still do it.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-06-14 at 12:54 PM.

22h now

anyone that wants to play: its like vampire the masquerade mmo

NOT like tera starwow wow or rift

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 01:19 PM ----------

11h or less now

beta beta butcher best

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarJames View Post
    22h now

anyone that wants to play: its like vampire the masquerade mmo

NOT like tera starwow wow or rift

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 01:19 PM ----------

11h or less now

beta beta butcher best
    Downloading it now. Most likely computer party at my house tonight to try beta out, all my friends grabbed key from nvidia.
    But where to start, all factions sound interesting but guess illuminati is the most interesting ones.
    Hehe, wonder what a norwegian company thinks about adding templars now when they got Breivik :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Excited to try this out this weekend, got a key so will decide this weekend if I buy it or not.

My only worry is the combat, the videos I have seen the combat looks extremely bad, but I will decide for myself tonight.

The game looks amazing graphicly and I love the ideas behind the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Excited to try this out this weekend, got a key so will decide this weekend if I buy it or not.

My only worry is the combat, the videos I have seen the combat looks extremely bad, but I will decide for myself tonight.

This goes for me as well. The concept of the game I'm completely on board with, but if the combat is bad, I wont be purchasing.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Has the combat changed since the first free weekend? Or is it still.... well the same shit?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Has the combat changed since the first free weekend? Or is it still.... well the same shit?
    It says in the notes it has been improved.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    It says in the notes it has been improved.
    Oh neat, thank you.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted

This!

Few more hours to go.