Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Music] Folk Metal

A coworker of mine just recently introduced me to Finntroll, and I've been quickly becoming a fan. I really want to find some more excellent bands like Finntroll, but I don't really know where to start. Is anyone here an avid folk metal listener that could suggest me some more bands? Moonsorrow is the only other one I've heard.
    There's A "Hardmode" In My Pants, And I Want You To "Beat" It.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    • [li]I will track down anyone mentioning an emulated server/sandbox on my forums, find where he lives, and steal all his left shoes.[/li]

Deleted
    Well, if you want some with the same theme's as Finntroll, you could try SuidAkra, Varg, Svartsot; but if you want something more jolly, Korpiklaani is one of the better choices. I have to say i know more, but the names are escaping me atm, due to it being so early =.=

Ah, yes, here's two more names: Arkona. Fferyllt.

You could try out Fejd too, is more Folk'ish than Metal'ish tho.
    Last edited by mmocd0f4e92d3a; 2011-06-01 at 07:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amorphis!!!

/mancrush: He has the voice of an angel and the eyes of a God..............

ahem.......

\m/

Edit: And holy fuck they just released a new album a few days ago! I gotta check this out...
    Last edited by Rageissues; 2011-06-01 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    agalloch and primordial are the only "folk" metal bands i know of but both are amazing. check out marrow of the spirit or shadows against the grain by agalloch. and to the nameless dead, redemption at the puritans hand.

No seriously listen to Turisas' In the Court of Jarisleif and The Varangian Way album.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    Amorphis!!!

/mancrush: He has the voice of an angel and the eyes of a God..............

ahem.......
    \m/

Edit: And holy fuck they just released a new album a few days ago! I gotta check this out...
    I'm sorry, but how is Amorphis folk? They don't use the lyrical themes, they don't use the 'odd' additional instruments, they don't run around in loincloths. Amorphis comes much closer to melodic death, maybe death/doom.

Folk ain't really my genre, but I do enjoy some Eluveitie from time to time. They are probably one of the more mainstream folkbands, as far as folk metal goes mainstream. Female growl in there is so full of win.
    The newest Shining album also has some folk influences.

*Wintersun has some odd folk-ish tunes to it and is a great band in general, you could try them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try Skyclad, one of the originators of the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say that Amorphis' newer stuff isn't as much folk as other artists, but early 90s Amorphis were quite large contributors to the genre... even though they don't run around in loin cloths.

Deleted
    Korpiklaani - Beer Beer
    EQUILIBRIUM - Blut Im Auge
    Mago De Oz - Vodka and roll
    Picksiebner Ring Of Fire ->croatian band, awesome music
    HEIDEVOLK - Nehalennia
    ARKONA - Goi, Rode, Goi!
    TURISAS - Rasputin
    Ensiferum - Victory Song

Not really a folk, but you might like it. Amon Amarth
    Last edited by mmoc1579b18e51; 2011-06-01 at 09:47 AM.

Deleted
    Im going for FINNTROLL !!!

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 10:04 AM ----------

Im going for FINNTROLL

Primordial are more black/folk.

On the theme of black/folk check out Isengard, Fenriz's folky side project from the 90's.
    Storm is also worth a look, again, old school stuff from the early 90's. Some songs are quite black metally, some of them are very folky too!

Then there's the more modern/mainstream ones like Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Turisas.

Might be worth starting with the more mainstream bands like these, then once you've got an appreciation for it, go back and listen to some of the roots of it from the older bands mentioned above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Korpiklaani - Vodka

I love this band and that song! Folk Metal is just great. Search for more Korpiklaani for pure awesomeness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    I will say that Amorphis' newer stuff isn't as much folk as other artists, but early 90s Amorphis were quite large contributors to the genre... even though they don't run around in loin cloths.
    Tales From the Thousand Lakes <3

Amorphis use folk tunes, even if they rarely go with 'unusual' instruments. Lemme see... My Kantele has a kantele, there are flutes on The Beginning Of Times... and that may just be it. Oh yeah, and the sitar on Shaman.

For pure, undisputable folk metal, try these:

Deleted

Last edited by mmocdd8e41448a; 2011-06-01 at 10:33 AM.

the kid in inis mona looks like the kid with the broken legs in game of thrones...

I don't really listen to folk metal much anymore, neofolk and some folkish acoustic music is more my thing, but here's two songs from a band I like. Moonsorrow is the greatest one I have encountered so far.

Deleted
    Oh stupid me...

They're one of the best live acts I've ever seen. Israeli band.