Poll: Would you switch?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbss View Post
    "Utilizing" isn't part of it, its all memory ADDRESSING.

and again you are wrong. I'm not sure where you all hear these things but they are incorrect.

Here is the reasoning behind it so you can learn what is correct as im not here trying to troll people but to stop people being wrong.

The range of integer values that can be stored in 32 bits is 0 to 4.2 billion(ish), cant remember the exact number, using twos complement.

This means that an OS with 32 bit memory addresses can then access 4GBs of byte addressable memory.

And as i said originally that 4GB covers ALL memory. So if your using 4GB of RAM in a 32 bit machine and 512mb of memory is addressed for other components that is why you can "only access 3.5gb".

Finally someone who knows something about computers in the computer thread.

What he said is true.

Dont think that just cos it says "Usable memory (3.5Gb)" dosent mean 32 supports only 3.5Gb. Remember your graphics card has memory....

And if you haven't upgraded to 64bit then what year do you think we are currently in, 2005?

Come on guys/girls, get your head in gear. Your playing on the PC, at least have some basic knowledge of how it works. If not go play COD on a console and joint he millions of other sheep.
    Last edited by mmoc3e7fde3491; 2011-06-04 at 05:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW isn't going to use more than 4 GB, ever even if you had a 2 GB video card.

Sometimes I think people forget that this game launched in 2004 when 4 GB of RAM was srs bsns. The small graphics upgrades over the years put more stress on the video cards, not really the RAM. Load times are almost exclusively hard-drive limited, so that really won't improve either.

They're going to perform almost exactly the same. Don't expect an FPS increase or a load time decrease.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    I still use XP, so I could care less.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So here is my question, since I'm not a computer expert. Right now I get arund 25fps with everything on fair settings. Would a 64bit client help with that since I"m on 64bit Windows 7?

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
    Memory Type DDR3
    Memory Size 4096 MBytes
    ATI Radeon HD 4200
    256 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tehjoker View Post
    So here is my question, since I'm not a computer expert. Right now I get arund 25fps with everything on fair settings. Would a 64bit client help with that since I"m on 64bit Windows 7?

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
    Memory Type DDR3
    Memory Size 4096 MBytes
    ATI Radeon HD 4200
    256 MB
    Wouldn't be anywhere close to the point where you could notice.
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

Deleted
    Already use Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Hell yes, been using Win7 Ultimate 64bit since like, forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Heres how you calculate how much byte-addressable memory any given bit system can address:
    2^(NUMBER OF BITS HERE) = y bytes

The max number of byte-addressable memory any 32 bit system ever will be able to use is:
    2^32 = 4,294,967,296 bytes
    4,294,967,296 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 4,096 MB = 4GB

The max number of byte-addressable memory any 64 bit system ever will be able to use is:
    2^64 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616
    18,446,744,073,709,551,616 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 16EB (exabytes)

However windows 7 64 bit have NOT been made to be able to utilize the max number of byte-addressable memory a 64 bit system can use simply because the highest number of RAM you can have on a "normal" motherboard is just arround 48GB (and no sane person would ever use windows 7 for a high end server).

Heres how much ram windows 7 64 bit can use:
    Starter: 8GB
    Home Basic: 8GB
    Home Premium: 16GB
    Professional: 192GB
    Enterprise: 192GB
    Ultimate: 192GB

And may I just remind everybody that your 32 bit system will not be able to utilize 4GB of RAM simply because it is calculated in byte-addressable memory that includes any kind of memory used by your system which is why any half new computer with 4GB RAM installed will only show 3-3.5GB RAM.
    I hate you, you're wrong, I'm a troll!!!

sorry I just had to see what it would be like to argue with someone who knows about the topic in which they're participating ;D

In all seriousness, good post! I hope people read it, and I actually learned something

/like

Of course I would!
    I'm running a 64-bit system, so not running a 64-bit version of WoW, if it were available, would just be plain stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    WoW isn't going to use more than 4 GB, ever even if you had a 2 GB video card.

Sometimes I think people forget that this game launched in 2004 when 4 GB of RAM was srs bsns. The small graphics upgrades over the years put more stress on the video cards, not really the RAM. Load times are almost exclusively hard-drive limited, so that really won't improve either.

They're going to perform almost exactly the same. Don't expect an FPS increase or a load time decrease.
    I donno, CPU is a pretty big thing in WoW also. For me atleast the CPU is the let-down so I would welcome 64bit with open arms (but I am already on a 64 OS anyway -- Who isn't? -- You should.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    I donno, CPU is a pretty big thing in WoW also. For me atleast the CPU is the let-down so I would welcome 64bit with open arms (but I am already on a 64 OS anyway -- Who isn't? -- You should.)
    While it is true that WoW is mostly CPU reliant, 32bit/64bit doesn't really have anything to do with CPU. If your CPU is a let-down now, switching to 64bit won't change that.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I think that's a fairly valid observation.

The whole point of a 64-bit client is probably because we are on the cusp of 32-bit gaming becoming obsolete because of memory limitations, so now is the time to start transitioning people to native 64-bit clients. The current WoW design probably cannot accomidate very much more as far as graphics enhancements without hitting address space limitations (as evidenced by the prevalent client-crashing phenomenon people have experienced running at max settings).

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    The max number of byte-addressable memory any 32 bit system ever will be able to use is:
    2^32 = 4,294,967,296 bytes
    4,294,967,296 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 4,096 MB = 4GB
    One point that this entire thread is lacking is that the 4GB overall address space limitation to 32-bit clients is irrelevant, because on 32-bit Windows platforms, processes are limited to 2GB of addressing space. This is the actual limitation that is relevant to WoW players, as it is what causes the memory issues on high-end hardware to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    One point that this entire thread is lacking is that the 4GB overall address space limitation to 32-bit clients is irrelevant, because on 32-bit Windows platforms, processes are limited to 2GB of addressing space. This is the actual limitation that is relevant to WoW players, as it is what causes the memory issues on high-end hardware to begin with.
    That's a limit in the Win32 api, which may be overcome with the "is large mem aware" flag and not a limit when the program is using another api.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

yes i would

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It depends on the app. For programs like After effects, 64-bit allows full memory usage up to 192GB, which increases rendering speed by a huge amount.

For large RTS games, 64-bit is very advantageous as 2GB isn't really a whole lot. For example, simply because SupCom (the original one) is 32-bit, the 2GB limit is reached very quickly and the game crashes. LAA can alleviate this somewhat, but it still doesn't help the apps performance.

The main advantage of x64 is the memory available to it.
    Yes, thats what I said. If the CPU is his bottleneck, switching to x64 won't change anything. If, on the other hand, the 2 GB maximum memory is his bottleneck, it will.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrised View Post
    Of course.
    If you're running a 64bit os and offered a 64bit software why the hell wouldnt you ?
    Exactly this.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trife/advanced
    WoW: Winterstrife, Level 120 Human Paladin | ESO: Strife Valor, CP 610 Dunmer Magblade | GW2: Inquisitor Strife, Level 80 Human Renegede.

I don't know everything below 8gig seems just not enough to work with anyways so I use win 7 x64 on all my systems. I mean even if it is just surfing and watching a video while playing something.

Deleted
    This poll is illogical. If you're running a 64-bit operating system there is no reason not to run a 64-bit software program especially one that can benefit from a larger memory address space.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    it all depends on your system memory really.
    If you have 3 gb and like 1gb graphics card or flat 4gb of ram, there is really NO reason to use 32 bit system as 32 bit system aint able to support that ammount of memory.
    simply put, if you have 2gb ram and 1gb graphics card, 32 bit is for you
    anything more, you go for 64 bit and dont look back.
    i belive he means switching to 64 bit OS once there is 64 bit version of wow.
    at least this makes me think so cant really use something that aint released yet , right? so he must be talking about switching to 64 bit system :P
    A 1gb graphics card is good. its based on ram.