I dunno how the fuck you think lore is "one uping" game play/design but, ugh. League of Legends player.

Anyways, I can agree on Lore. Dota's lore is sort of looser and "who cares". League of Legends is more story-driven (at least as much as a dotalike/moba can be story driven, which isn't much) and does, generally, have more interesting lore for the characters (albeit the lore stories being written atrociously)

Dota also doesn't really have a "set world", with all the characters coming from random, different places. I do like that Dota has more subtlety in their lore, though. Like, if there's some "character connection" in LoL lore, Riot wants to make sure they jam it directly into your throat so you know these characters are related in some way, where as in Dota, it's kept more "secret" or indirect (Like how Bounty Hunter was the one contracted to cut off Venegful Spirits' wings and stuff like that)

At any rate saying "I one up you with the fact Dota lore isn't as formulated as LoL lore" is so stupid it hurts.

I also feel I should mention Riot doesn't even understand the personalities of their own creations. Once in awhile I'll read one of the sale pages, where one of the heroes is supposed to be advertising the sale, and it's written completely out of their personality (not that LoL champions hardly even have personality, but still)

Anyways, anyways, your "counter point" sucked really bad.

4chan AND JimPaladin? My expectations of that link are sky high.
    Hey, I only have it because my friend linked it to me. I don't go to 4chan, myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    4chan AND JimPaladin? My expectations of that link are sky high.
    Yep, the excessive fanboying and flaming other games in the genre gets old fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    I dunno how the fuck you think lore is "one uping" game play/design but, ugh. League of Legends player.

Anyways, I can agree on Lore. Dota's lore is sort of looser and "who cares". League of Legends is more story-driven (at least as much as a dotalike/moba can be story driven, which isn't much) and does, generally, have more interesting lore for the characters (albeit the lore stories being written atrociously)

Dota also doesn't really have a "set world", with all the characters coming from random, different places. I do like that Dota has more subtlety in their lore, though. Like, if there's some "character connection" in LoL lore, Riot wants to make sure they jam it directly into your throat so you know these characters are related in some way, where as in Dota, it's kept more "secret" or indirect (Like how Bounty Hunter was the one contracted to cut off Venegful Spirits' wings and stuff like that)

At any rate saying "I one up you with the fact Dota lore isn't as formulated as LoL lore" is so stupid it hurts.

I also feel I should mention Riot doesn't even understand the personalities of their own creations. Once in awhile I'll read one of the sale pages, where on of the heroes is supposed to be advertising the sale, and it's written completely out of their personality (not that LoL champions hardly even have personality, but still)

Anyways, anyways, your "counter point" sucked really bad.
    The issue that was brought up regarding DOTA 2's lore is that all of the heroes seem to be from their own little chubby holes, and there's little connections made so far between the two. Yes, I know that it's still beta so things may change, but still.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-12-07 at 08:38 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

WHO THE FUCK CARES about two paragraph long broad back stories for the characters holy shit why are you seriously trying to bring this up in a "Design of the game vs Design of the game".

Oh my God man.

Deleted
    I have no idea if DOTA 2's lore is good or not but LoL's is pretty fantastic.

Dota's really kind of isn't. I mean, it's okay, but LoL's is better in terms of a "cohesive world".

LoL's is still really poorly written (in terms of actual writing) and character relations are shoved up your ass constantly because Riot wants to make sure you know all the heroes are connected somehow and they all know each other and they all have to make quotes for each other and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dota's really kind of isn't. I mean, it's okay, but LoL's is better in terms of a "cohesive world".

LoL's is still really poorly written (in terms of actual writing) and character relations are shoved up your ass constantly because Riot wants to make sure you know all the heroes are connected somehow and they all know each other and they all have to make quotes for each other and stuff.
    I actually kind of agree with the LoL lore. I kind of like the older characters when it comes to lore personally, I haven't read to much on DOTA lore except for one guy I think his name was like Rigid or something (assassin champion). Heard he's heavily played currently, it definitely had a more subtle taste to it within the writing itself.
    Hey everyone

Which is good gives motivation of why they joined the League. Having rivalries makes them relatable.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Riki. I think you mean.

What I think valve is trying to do with the heroes in Dota is what they do with Team Fortress 2, IE, expand lore/characters via in-game quotes/interactions and other out-of-game things. Riot sort of does this with the newspaper thing they do, to make a comparison.

To clarify what I've been saying about LoL's lore being poorly written is that, while it's imaginative and interesting, it feels like a fourth grader wrote it. I made this point a few weeks ago before I got banned, and I found quite a few people on the thread actually agreed with me.

Which is good gives motivation of why they joined the League. Having rivalries makes them relatable.
    Kind of. I mean, if you like the overly forced "Character relations", that's fine, but they ARE kind of forced. Stuff like "Urgot joined the League to get revenge on Garen" is fine, or stuff like the quote on Sona being from Swain is fine, because it gave Swain's full name and you had to sort of make that connection yourself, while at the same time developing Swain's character in a subtle way (By showing he's a fan of 'fine' music and sort of poetic in how he speaks about it, despite his lore story mentioning nothing about that.) AND by telling you Swain and Sona have seen each other in the past, but it leaves a bit of mystery to it. It doesn't really tell you if they've personally spoken, or if Swain just attended a large performance or something. See that? That's what we call "subtle character development".

Now it's just like "Oh here's Victor and here's Jayce they hate each other also these characters are related someway too and so are these look how woven and subtle our story is"
    Last edited by JimPaladin; 2012-12-07 at 09:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Some characters do feel a bit iffy on the marketing that's used. Darius is basically a man's man, Draven's that bad kid who's great at sports but nobody gave him enough recognition... See where I'm going with this, but then again Shaco is the Joker but everyone loves a Joker.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    One of the reasons I love LoL is because of the lore, I don't find it meh or stupid and lots of stuff make sense, and lore stuff always makes me happy, one of the reasons I loved to play WoW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Riki. I think you mean.

What I think valve is trying to do with the heroes in Dota is what they do with Team Fortress 2, IE, expand lore/characters via in-game quotes/interactions and other out-of-game things. Riot sort of does this with the newspaper thing they do, to make a comparison.

To clarify what I've been saying about LoL's lore being poorly written is that, while it's imaginative and interesting, it feels like a fourth grader wrote it. I made this point a few weeks ago before I got banned, and I found quite a few people on the thread actually agreed with me.
    Yeah Riki, doesn't he have a bad early game (could have just been me) but a really good late game. An interesting mechanic not used in LoL anymore is permanent stealth, Eve sort of has it but it isn't the same. I wonder why Riot thought it was so toxic to gameplay.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Some characters do feel a bit iffy on the marketing that's used. Darius is basically a man's man, Draven's that bad kid who's great at sports but nobody gave him enough recognition... See where I'm going with this, but then again Shaco is the Joker but everyone loves a Joker.
    True but Brothers working for the Noxian Army is relatable. Shaco used to scare the shit out of me at lvl 5.

I like that is an opposing champ for some of them.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    Considering LoL focuses more on making champions and the overall thing MOBA, I'd say we are pretty lucky to have the kind of lore we have.

And I don't consider it bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Considering LoL focuses more on making champions and the overall thing MOBA, I'd say we are pretty lucky to have the kind of lore we have.

And I don't consider it bad.
    That's because you're Majad, you love everything and everyone.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    That actually is as scary as Shaco ever was. D;

So...

What do you guys think of Liandrys Torment? I love it simply because I main Elise, and as Elise with spell pen is OP, Haunting Guise was almost my first item after boots. This gives me something to build it into.

I think it's pretty broken though, or am I misunderstanding the mechanics? I assume it procs on ANY spell damage right? So would someone with Wit's End auto-attacking proc it, or Elise attacking in Spider Form? If a Teemo shroom procs, does it activate? If so, it would be ridiculously overpowered - Liandrys hits for double damage when target is slowed and shrooms slow, so its already double damage, and if that proc activated every tick, one teemo shrooms would have damage going through the roof. How about Brand? His passive is already powerful, would this add to it, making for a total of 13% health as magic damage? Imagine if he built Rylais - it would bump up to 18%, and if he built say, a Void Staff, a long with his Liandrys and Sorc Boots, it would deal true damage to most champions, meaning one poke spell could take off HUGE chunks of health...

Am I misunderstanding it then, or...?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Yeah Riki, doesn't he have a bad early game (could have just been me) but a really good late game. An interesting mechanic not used in LoL anymore is permanent stealth, Eve sort of has it but it isn't the same. I wonder why Riot thought it was so toxic to gameplay.
    I actually like Evelynn's stealth better. Riki's ultimate (Permanent Invisibility) is, honestly, kind of bad. Because it's his ult, it's a staple to his design, but it's incredibly easy to counter. No other stealth hero in either game suffers so much from being revealed like Riki does. Evelynn's passive is pretty much Riki's ultimate put on a passive, and is used more to roam the map while hiding from wards (and can be used to check for wards much like Slark in Dota)

That said I can't really down talk Riki too much because his model makes up for anything bad about his ultimate/medicore carry ability.

Deleted
    Lies and slander.
    Quote Originally Posted by derp singed View Post
    That actually is as scary as Shaco ever was. D;
    Does this mean I'm scary?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Lies and slander.

Does this mean I'm scary?
    Not necessarily! But im sure you can be scary if you want to. :C

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derp singed View Post
    Not necessarily! But im sure you can be scary if you want to. :C