Played my first two ranked last night.

Now, I know that most people have a hard time fathoming this game, but I'm pretty alright. I normally play top->mid->jungle, where I try to avoid support/adc like the plague, though I can play it, but far from the same level.

First game went terrible. Every lane lost, but mine. I was against Singed, and he wasn't bad. It was stalemate with farming only, where I managed to get him low a couple of times, but as soon as I thought I could engage in a kill, he would recall. Tried to roam at one point, but mid had fed so much that fiddlesticks could kill pretty much anyone with a fear / drain combo. The jungler never came top either. We surrendered at 20.

Second game was much better. Was against Xin, and managed 3 kills without my jungler in the start phase. All the other lanes won, and we eventually took the win.

I like how much more communication there is in ranked, but I must admit that I'm surprised by the 'quality' of players in ranked. Thought they'd be better than most normal games.

It may vary in truth. If you're in your placement games, then it's going to feel up and down with your games. Otherwise, that's how it's usually is in most ranked games. Though, some people just keeps losing badly and maybe get a win in between.
    My General Gaming Blog *Latest Updated: 9/25/14*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    But it all really boils down to magic resistance does not have diminishing returns. AS AP doesn't have increasing returns, it's literally a number stack up.
    I saw that formula but I don't know how to use it/solve it/whatever. I'm not exactly good at math lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Renwin View Post
    It may vary in truth. If you're in your placement games, then it's going to feel up and down with your games. Otherwise, that's how it's usually is in most ranked games. Though, some people just keeps losing badly and maybe get a win in between.
    it's the placement games, yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I saw that formula but I don't know how to use it/solve it/whatever. I'm not exactly good at math lol.
    OK. I'll go back and do some number crunching for you.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Deleted
    OK. I'll go back and do some number crunching for you.
    Well, you don't need to do it now, I guess it would be kinda pointless since we've already discussed the whole Yi and MR thing but if you want to, go ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    If Yi built only items with Magic pen he'd have:
    Sorc boots
    Void staff
    Liandry's torment
    Abbysal scepter
    Malady (obviously not a normal item)
    Rabadon's Deathcap

Leaving him with (quicly calculated, might not be 100% accurate)
    448.5 AP (not including runes)
    Including runes and the AP masteries, he ends up just shy of 525 AP, with 38.9% Magic Penetration and 71 Magic Penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Malphite builds only items with MR:
    Mercury Treads
    Runic Bulwark
    Spirit Visage
    Guardian Angel
    Athene's Unholy Grail
    Mikael's Crucible
    Including runes and masteries, he ends up just shy of 343 MR.

Lets assume that they both stand there and Yi uses Alpha Strike (max rank at 18) on Malphite. It deals 300+AP damage, which makes 825 damage before resistances and penetration.

The percentage applies first (for maximum benefit), so Malphite's MR is reduced to about 209. The subtraction ends up next and reduces Malphite's MR again to about 139. 139 MR multiplies the incoming damage by 0.418, so Yi ends up doing 345 damage with Alpha Strike. This is effectively the same as Yi only having 45 AP and Malphite having no MR at all.

Pretty balanced, I think.

---------- Post added 2013-05-14 at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Well, you don't need to do it now, I guess it would be kinda pointless since we've already discussed the whole Yi and MR thing but if you want to, go ahead.
    Gotta keep my maths brain in gear now I'm out of Uni.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

The change to S3 to apply % pen before flat pen was certainly a HUGE buff to all pentration stats, but to honestly believe "I should not ever build any MR because he has M pen" is legit the worst piece of advice I have ever seen.

Thats like saying well I'm not going to buy wards because he has oracles, I'll just build another long sword.

You should ALWAYS have 1-2 slots of defensive items in your complete build- all in reaction to what is fed on the other team.

If you still don't believe that, look at the build of every LCS for the past 3-4 weeks. At least 90% of the games have a locket/Aegis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomcats View Post
    The change to S3 to apply % pen before flat pen was certainly a HUGE buff to all pentration stats, but to honestly believe "I should not ever build any MR because he has M pen" is legit the worst piece of advice I have ever seen.
    It's probably best to buy a comparable defensive item for every five offensive items your entire opposing team builds, then? Or is it always 4 offensive 1 defensive and boots?
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

10+ Year Old Account
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Boomcats View Post
    Again, this is already discussed and nobody said that you shouldn't build MR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

anyone else having problems with the champion select failing?

the last month or two, about 3/5 of my ranked queues get forced dodges due to the terribly coded game launcher

i can see the chat, but the timer runs out during bans/early picks, and wont let me pick a champ, everyone is greyed out, because the timer doesnt update to my turn

my internet is fine, steams 1080p perfectly, skype at the same time

have tried reinstalls, the repair function, nothing works

are there any viable alternatives to the Riot Launcher? something that actually works maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    anyone else having problems with the champion select failing?

the last month or two, about 3/5 of my ranked queues get forced dodges due to the terribly coded game launcher

are there any viable alternatives to the Riot Launcher? something that actually works maybe?
    Yep. Usually I'm the guy who doesn't get these problems, but two days ago, it finally happened.

Me and my team were doing ranked 5v5. We were in promotion (3 games), and had already lost the first one.

We're in champ select for the second match, we pick champions for each other (to not get countered), client bugs out so we can't trade. This means we had Thresh jungle and Shen support. Joy. Though the funny thing is that we still won.

Third match. Client bugs for the leader. He can't connect. Automatically kicked out when he doesn't select a champion. We lose the series.

Luckily, it seems that Riot is already on it and working on solutions... But for now, I don't think there are any fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Yep. Usually I'm the guy who doesn't get these problems, but two days ago, it finally happened.

Me and my team were doing ranked 5v5. We were in promotion (3 games), and had already lost the first one.

We're in champ select for the second match, we pick champions for each other (to not get countered), client bugs out so we can't trade. This means we had Thresh jungle and Shen support. Joy. Though the funny thing is that we still won.

Third match. Client bugs for the leader. He can't connect. Automatically kicked out when he doesn't select a champion. We lose the series.

Luckily, it seems that Riot is already on it and working on solutions... But for now, I don't think there are any fixes.
    Dauym that sucks.
    I've had no problems with champ select but I did have massive amounts of "lag", even though I had 25ms ping (game was running fine, but not responding to input, mostly right after I try to poke an enemy and he runs under his turret, killing me).
    Only happened in rankeds aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

So.. Went from Silver I to Gold V two days ago.
    Now, I just got promoted from Gold V straight to Gold III.

I'm lovin' ranked right now!

@Reverendball:
    Have you tried copying a complete LoL installation from a friend's computer? If it works for him, but not for you, you know that the problem is on your end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Deleted
    It's probably best to buy a comparable defensive item for every five offensive items your entire opposing team builds, then? Or is it always 4 offensive 1 defensive and boots?
    I always build atleast one item that gives me defensive stats.

i had a problem when i played Draven a couple of games ago. When i threw a Q and went to catch it i'd be unable to move or reposition until i caught it or it landed on the ground. This caused a few deaths which really sucked. Its a 1-2 second window where i cant move or target anyone else for AAs. Really horrible bug for an ADC :/
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    GGAAHH been waiting to try Shaco out for aaggeess and my frakkin computer breaks the week he's on the f2p rotaion...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    3.7 Patch notes are up. Highlights include Akali's R nerf being undone slightly, a nerf to Cait's base AS, Cass' E now being considered a single target spell for items such as Rylai's, yet more Diana nerfs, Elise's R getting the Nidalee E treatment, more Nami buffs, the Nunu Q changes, and more stuff.

Diana and Zed appear to have been nerfed to the ground, kind of like Olaf and Heimerdinger.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-05-15 at 09:06 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    3.7 Patch notes are up. Highlights include Akali's R nerf being undone slightly, a nerf to Cait's base AS, Cass' E now being considered a single target spell for items such as Rylai's, yet more Diana nerfs, Elise's R getting the Nidalee E treatment, more Nami buffs, the Nunu Q changes, and more stuff.

Diana and Zed appear to have been nerfed to the ground, kind of like Olaf and Heimerdinger.
    Biggest thing for me is definitely the custom item sets that make it life with the new patch. And of course the Nunu change...even though I'm still not sure how his jungle turns out to be =/