Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i can scarcely remember old av, most of the time it did go on for so long that it ended up going through multiple groups of players, the ppl that started the battle left hours ago along with the ones that replaced them and so forth. the only reason it was fun is because it felt like a real battle with no end in sight going back and forth the frontline changing between iceblood and stonehearth multiple times. still it comes down to the same thing in the end, rush the general to win, same as raiding and skill has generally improved over the years so has ppls expectations and realizations. why grind honor for hours or days when you can just win or lose and start again. even with this idea rushing to the end is still going to win a lot of the time.

It's long and few vs short and many.

The idea is to tune the rewards so both methods are viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes how fun lets make av longer, with all the current bitching that goes on now in BG's why prolong it.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Oh yes how fun lets make av longer, with all the current bitching that goes on now in BG's why prolong it.
    Come on man, read the thread before posting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
    It was better than it's current state.
    Thats called an opinion, not everyone will agree with you. I for one would definitely not want hour long AVs. I like pvping and AV is a decent bg, but it drags on after a while. But the idea proposed sounds decent and pleasing for all, doubt blizzard would do it though.

Man old vanilla AV..i would do anything to get it back. i really loved the mixed pve/pvp style. all thos guards,captains and generals guarding the bases and you could send elite cavalry and the air support not to mention the bosses. it felt more like a big epic war then. I remember when i had to stock upp with candy and soda on friday night to prepare for the 5+ long hours of battle. epic times epic times. rly dont think it should be that hard to creat another AV bg for the ppl who like longer battles.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Thats called an opinion, not everyone will agree with you. I for one would definitely not want hour long AVs. I like pvping and AV is a decent bg, but it drags on after a while. But the idea proposed sounds decent and pleasing for all, doubt blizzard would do it though.
    The thing is I don't know anyone who is truly satisfied with the current state of AV. On one side we've got the ones who say it's too long for them, and on the other we've got the ones who say it's not nearly long enough.

But yes, opinions.

Deleted
    Couldn't they just make the Drek'thar/ Alliance Boss guy unattackable until certain criteria are fufilled? Idk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    Couldn't they just make the Drek'thar/ Alliance Boss guy unattackable until certain criteria are fufilled? Idk.
    That's a pretty good idea actually! It would maybe encourage more players to get involved in defending towers etc rather than blind mad rushing north/south to the "boss".

I really like the proposed changes made in the thread, it would certainly make it interesting again - in my opinion at least.

Although I think what many people forget is that the main reason AVs were so epic back in the day was that they only involved players of the same realm, when cross realm was implemented sure there were more AVs available but it didnt quite have the same feeling as kicking your opposing factions ass only to pass them in BRD a few hours later and gank them again!

Now that they have gotten rid of AV Marks of Honor, it would be a good time to slow them back down, since that was the only downside of doing AV back in vanilla when you could log in and the battle from yesterday is still going on.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Now that they have gotten rid of AV Marks of Honor, it would be a good time to slow them back down, since that was the only downside of doing AV back in vanilla when you could log in and the battle from yesterday is still going on.
    This.

The main cause behind the changes in AV were the marks. With them gone, there is no reason not to change back.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    They sort of did that in the old AV. You had to cap all of the towers to get rid of all of the marshalls (or the horde equivalent) before you could take on the boss. You could cap some towers and kill the remaining marshalls, but you had to pull them out of the boss room. Regardless of how you did it, the marshalls had to die first. IIRC, they hit like a truck, so you really wanted to cap all of the towers.

If they put this back in, people would have to pay attention to towers, both to recap and to take them.
    I'm a crazy taco.

Deleted
    I've also made a thread about AV (actually, many of them) - but I'm just about ready to give up hope on ever getting an official response on anything Alterac Valley. It's weird. The most consistent request through all expansions I've played has been for some middle ground with AV. I never saw anyone ask for Zul'Gurub (aside from when the removal was announced), Zul'Aman, Naxxramas or Onyxia to make a return but you see people wanting AV back all the time.

Here's my thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2548997145

(I also think that by increasing the strength of all NPC's substantially, increasing (or removing) reinforcements, introducing a periodic honor gain and bonus honor for utilising the turn ins and turning that silly level 60 trinket into a tabard would help AV greatly)

I think blizzard should start a huge vote and see what the community says about it. A lot of players seems to love this idea including myself but there is always players that disagrees. While there have been a lot of new BGs added to the game I dont see why we couldnt bring this fantastic idea back. Pretty much make AV a mix of Raid(PvE) and Battleground(PvP), thats how i see old AV was like.

Deleted
    I miss those old av days .

Someone seriously needs to troll that Blue thread in the BG forum that's asking for written guides to AV.

A complete write up with strategies for the old AV complete with stealth rogues and druids farming hides, tank/healer/range dps strike teams to take out bunkers and the lts/commanders (watch out for the stealth detectors!), grabbing beacons before releasing wing commanders, collecting supplies in the mines, cavalry/infantry charges, etc.

edit: You'd probably get a highly rated post moderation lol

I loved the old AV and having it back, in some sort of way, would be very enjoyable to actually use the ground, air, and summons every so often.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

I have four words for you: Ivus The Forest Lord

Last edited by kharyll; 2011-06-07 at 11:50 PM.

WHO DARES SUMMON LOKHOLAR? The blood of a thousand Stormpike soldiers shall I spill...none may stand against the Ice Lord!

Deleted
    Screenshot and video above are weak: