Deleted

Would you play this game?

So yeah, basically I got this idea with my brother when we were on a vacation. Some people were playing a game called "Lupus in Tabula" (or something like that) which is basically Mafia with a few twists. My brother and I decided to make our own version of it, with a WoW theme. Thus, Operation G.N.O.M.E was born.

What is Operation G.N.O.M.E?

Operation G.N.O.M.E is a forum game designed specifically for WoW players. It is highly psychological game and requires skills in manipulation.... or just Dump luck, either way.

The gameplay is basically the same as in Mafia. There are 2 teams, the "bad guys" and the rest. The bad guys know each other but the rest are unaware who belong to their team and who not. The objective of the game in Mafia is to kill all members of the opposing team. This is achieved by voting every round, where everyone who is still alive gives a vote for someone and the person who gains most votes is eliminated from the game. The other option of elimination is availevable for bad guys only. They vote about their "victim" from good guys, who is then eliminated from game. This second type of voting is done in secret, and the good guys are unaware of what is going and everyone is in equal danger. That's Classic Mafia in a nutshell, but me and my brother took it a step further.

In our version, the good guys belong to Alliance and bad guys are Horde infiltrators (please don't flame me for this...). There are x amount of Horde players and ~2-3x of Alliance, so in a game with 6 players, there's 1-2 Horde and 4-5 Alliance, with 15 players 3-4 Horde and 11-12 Alliance and so on. The Horde players are told who belong to Alliance and who to Horde. Alliance players, however, are only aware of how many Horde players there was to begin with and nothing else.

We did some twisting with the voting system, victory conditions and added a flavor of WoW in form of Classes.

Elimination

Instead of eliminating a player every turn after the public voting, Horde only votes every other round. The public voting is also handled differently. Instead of eliminating the player with most votes, the player who gains 1/3 of the votes first is eliminated. If there are no players who gain the required amount of votes, the player with most votes is eliminated.

Classes and Abilities

Seems a bit harsh, with someone getting eliminated with just 1/3 of votes while someone else gets 2/3, just because they hit the 1/3 limit first (e.g with 6 players alive, whoever gets 2 votes first will get eliminated even if the following 4 votes are given to someone else)? Well, this is where the Class Abilities will kick in. Each Class has a unique ability that might have a huge effect on gameplay. And of course, with Great Power comes a Great Penalty. Most Classes have a Penalty attached to their Ability, in a form of their Votes getting Negated for x amount of turns. Say, a Warrior has used his Ability last turn. Because his Ability is so gamebreaking, it has a 3-vote penalty attached to it. Because the Warrior informed the gamemaster that he wishes to use his ability, his vote is negated for following 3 turns. The rest of the players, however, are not informed that he is a Warrior and that he has used his Ability, and only see that he has voted someone to be eliminated. Example to make this a bit more clear:

There are 7 players remaining, thus 3 votes are required for elimination (fractions are always rounded up). Player A has gotten the 3 first votes, and player B the following 3. Normally A would be eliminated, but because player C is on Penalty for this turn and he was the 2nd person to vote, his vote gets skipped over and B ends up eliminated because he hits the 1/3 marker first.

Please note that Abilities may be activated at any time you should wish to do so. Simply send the GM a PM and the moment your message has been sent, you can consider your Ability used. Passive abilities will have their effects applied automatically

Victory Conditions

The difference in victory condition is following: The players will vote among themselves wheter they are ready to perform their mission or not. If 2/3 players vote "yes" then the mission will be attempted. If Alliance players have succesfully killed all Horde players, they win. Should there be even a single Horde player left, the mission will fail and Horde wins.

Gameplay of Operation G.N.O.M.E

The game begins with the Gamemaster assigning teams randomly, with Alliance forming a clear majority. After this, classes are also randomized and given to players. A players are allowed to "reveal" their side and class to other players, but it's up to the other players to decide wheter to believe you or not. When these are done, the First Round can start.

Players are first given some time to chat a bit, perhaps make a few accusations and so on. When the GM decides it's time for some action, he will release the next section of the story. After it has been posted, players are free to keep on chatting or throw their vote by posting the following to make it clear that he is giving his vote: "<player x> points his G.U.N (GeniusUnitNeutralizer) at <player y>". After that, you are free to keep on chatting, give reasons for your decision, activate your Ability by sending the GM a message saying so or even change your target. However, it should be noted that because the elimination is dependant on the order where the votes arrived, any editing to the voting post will cause it to be seen as the most recently given vote.

The GM will give players time to cast their votes (about a day should be good) after which the Gm will check the results and announce who has been eliminated. The result may (and often will) be different from what is seen on the forums because only the GM can be 100% sure who have their votes Negated, who have Abilities activated and so on. So trust the GM, he won't cheat since he is the neutral judge in the game.

After the voting has concluded, GM should release the next section of the story and next round will begin. After every other Public voting, the GM will send PMs to the Horde players asking who they wish to eliminate. These PMs should be answered ASAP and the first vote sent will be seen as the players final choice. Whoever player gets most Horde votes, will be eliminated. Should all Horde players be dead, the GM will randomly pick a victim for these "votes".

When Alliance players believe they have succesfully eliminated all Horde players, they can publicly ask for a Final Vote. To ensure that no accidents happen when voting for this, quote the post and then clearly state wheter your vote is Yes or No. Any edition to the vote will cause it to be disregarded. Keep in mind that the player requesting for the Final Vote can be Horde player too, so be cautious about who you trust.

Classes

Warrior
    Effect: Any player except the Warrior using this ability may be targeted. The target player becomes immune to elimination for this turn.
    Penalty: their 3 next votes will be negated

Warlock
    Effect: Their current vote in Public voting will count as 2
    Penalty: Their next vote will be negated

Rogue
    Effect: The player is told the Class of the targeted player
    Penalty:Their next vote will be negated

Mage
    Effect: They can Negate any vote in Public Voting
    Penalty: Their next vote will be negated

Druid
    Effect: The targeted player will need 1 additional vote to be eliminated this round
    Penalty: Their next 2 votes will be negated

Priest
    Effect: Once in a game, Priest can bring an eliminated player back to the game
    Penalty: The following 4 votes will be negated

Paladin
    Effect: The player becomes immune to elimination for this round
    Penalty: Their following 3 votes will be negated

Shaman
    Passive: They will be told which side did the eliminated player belong to
    Penalty: -

Hunter
    Passive: They will be told the eliminated player's class
    Penalty: -

Death Knight
    Effect: They will be able to use the Ability of the player who was eliminated in the Public Voting last round. The Penalty of the Vote will still apply
    Penalty: Their next 2 votes will be negated

So yeah, that's about it. I'm doing this because I'm curious to know would it be possible to hold this kind of game here on MMO-C. If enough people express their interest, I'll start a test game in a few days. Feedback will be appreciated and I'll make a few buffs and nerfs to abilities (and maybe a bit modification to the rules too) according to the feedback. Thanks

P.S The background story is almost ready and I'll post it here along with the general story soon
    Last edited by mmoc1f9097e497; 2011-06-18 at 08:39 PM.

Not my kind of interest, but sounds fun and entertaining. I'm in

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm definitely down

Deleted
    nope , sounds boring

Eh, the Mafia facebook game and others designed like it never really held my interest.

The lack of game elements, no real game animations other than a few pictures of vehicles and weapons you can buy, and the fact that you just sit and click buttons for hours on end while the computer determines the outcome of each action really makes those games not very appealing.
    Especially when you could be wasting those countless hours on a game like WoW.
    Last edited by blazeskies117; 2011-06-11 at 11:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeskies117 View Post
    Eh, the Mafia facebook game and others designed like it never really held my interest.

The lack of game elements, no real game animations other than a few pictures of vehicles and weapons you can buy, and the fact that you just sit and click buttons for hours on end while the computer determines the outcome of each action really makes those games not very appealing.
    Especially when you could be wasting those countless hours on a game like WoW.
    Umm...I don't own a facebook account but from what you just descriped I can tell that Mafia game(and this) has nothing to do with the similiarly named Facebook game

marvelmaster
    somehow it sounds interesting

It looks good. but i won't play this one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by awesome6 View Post
    It looks good. but i won't play this one.

I'd appreciate knowing exactly why it sounds good but you won't play it. Improvements can always be made
    Last edited by mmoc1f9097e497; 2011-06-14 at 03:50 PM.