Saggy Pants Lead to Arrest and why do you do it?

So I just saw this on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/16...html?hpt=hp_t2

Whever I see issues with saggy pants it almost makes me cry laughing because I learned long ago through my father's work (he worked with wardens of various penitentiaries) that the origins of sagging pants are in the prison system. It originated as a sign that you were willing to "take it" if you catch my meaning from the dominant prisoners to ensure your protection while incarcerated. Somehow this bled out into mainstream machismo culture without any sense of irony. Anyway, if you "sag" and you know this is what it means, why do you do it?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I generally assume that either they a) don't know, or b) are fully aware, and it just plays into the whole "gangsta" thing of just wanting to shoot someone, go to jail, and write a rap album about it...

I'm kinda glad to have heard this from another person (about the origins of wearing saggy pants) I was kinda hesitant to believe it since I only had one source for the information, but if the knowledge is this widespread I feel more justified in laughing behind the punks' backs
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Deleted
    http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

This.
    Bad fitting clothes, no belts=saggy pants.
    Also most guys lost weight inside so their old clothes at home would not fit. Their little brothers copied that.

Personally I don't look the whole saggy pants gangsta style look, but these kind of things are just stupid

15+ Year Old Account
    I still have a dresser full of parachute pants. Waiting for them to come back.

Lol, read the article. It states that he stated that "he said he didn't have to because he had purchased a ticket." I guarantee it wasn't said like that, as no one with half a brain would wear saggy pants. They look awful and you will never have a nice job / life if you refuse to dress appropriately. They aren't "looking like a foo' with their pants on the ground" They are a fool, and this is reflected by their outward appearance. You can't fix stupid :/.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is, the youth actually dress like that. Not saggy pants per say, but jeans around the but cheeks area or lower, as some attempt to look sexy or smth.

I personally find it ridiculous.

I read about this earlier, I still find it funny that his mom is trying to defend him saying he's in mourning for his lost friend. Yes I'm sorry his friend was murdered but how does mourning change the way he wears his clothes. He's mourning by sagging his pants?

im a teenager and sometimes my pants go down a bit and it's not cause im trying to be gangster or anything, i just don't like the feel of a belt but i always try to pull them up. around where i live only Dbags wear saggy pants and popped collars but we make them feel so stupid they don't do it again XD

Weird, I was contemplating asking this same question yesterday...

I have no idea what the point is. I really, really want to know from one of those guys who sags their pants down to their knees. Why? Seriously, why?

It can't be too comfortable. It looks horrible, like someone had a bit of a dumbass moment and forgot to pull them up. It serves no functional purpose, and again, makes you look like a total jackass. So why?