Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Marksmanship DPS - Low

Hey I've been playing marksmanship for a couple of weeks now and I can't seem to see why my DPS is so low compared to everyone else, with my gear I should be far above everyone else in the raid group. I know the shot priority and have got my talent design based around other posts I have seen on various forums. Has anyone got any advice for why my DPS might be so low?

World of Logs : worldoflogs.com/guilds/132203

Character Armory : Can't link the armory, it's Vikelet on Twisting Nether EU

(I realise the back in unenchanted, going to get it from my GM tomorrow)

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks.

P.S I'll be uploading a couple of video's of my playstyle either tomorrow or the day after.

Looking through your logs on certain fights like atramedes, your improved steady shot buff uptime was 42.9 %. There is no reason for it to fall under 90% really. It's just a huge dps gain that it should always be up.

You're glyphed for arcane shot yet you used arcane shot only once, some fights none at all? Arcane shot should be your focus dump when chimera is on CD and you're not working in instant aimed procs.

On your chimera attempt you missed a total on 6 casted aimed shots and 1 instant proc aimed shot? I really don't know how this is possible other then you have no way of tracking caustic slime debuff. The only thing you can do is cast steady shot for the 3 seconds and just regen focus till the debuff is gone.

Just a rough glimpse but maybe you need to work on your UI

Deleted
    I've heard you should either completely dump using aimed or with arcane, I don't know if this is true or not but I've been hardcasting aimed shot a lot of the time and ignoring arcane. With the caustic slime debuff... that's just human error I guess. If I time it better it should fine.

Deleted
    I don't think you should use Aimed unless it's procced when the boss is under 80%.
    Aimed Shot stops your Wild Quiver shots when it's casting which is actually a bit of a dps loss. Dump with Arcane.
    Stick with Aimed when the boss is above 80%.

99% of hunters use arcane as a dump. Its far more forgiving and if you look @ EJ, it says that if you have to cancel more then 2 casts, it's a significant dps loss.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4798&e=5057
    this is a report from one of our atramedes kills. You can look at my breakdown in damage abilties and when I use CD's. The only time it's worth hard casting aimed shot is when the boss has more then 80% hp, during rapid fire, blood lust, or if you have the heroic version of the nefarian trinket http://www.wowhead.com/item=65026 and it procs.

If you choose to stick with aimed shot then at least drop the arcane shot glyph and use the aimed shot, makes no sense. The MM mastery is really good and when you're hard casting aimed shot, you lose auto shot, mastery procs and just overall dps. Consider a mastery heavy build and switching the gems is easily a 150-200 dps gain.

Deleted
    So if I'm going to use arcane what would my shot rotation look like steady x2 , arcane x 2 rinse repeat using chimera when off CD and Aimed when you get the free shot?

The idea is really to never be focus capped. I roll with only like 5.5% haste on my gear or something and 2/3 pathing and I still fit in x4 steady between chimera CD's. For me, if I'm about to be focus capped and chimera has roughly 2-3 seconds left, I'll use x2 arcane shot then chimera, x4-5 SS and just work in instant aimed.

Like i mentioned earlier, just keep up Improved steady shot buff (15%) haste all the time. That become priority if it's about to fall off.

Plugged your character in femaledwarf. Switched out the orange gems in belt and pants for +40 agility, swapped aimed shot glyph for chimera I got a dps increase of +411.49 This is assuming your raid has all the crucial buffs like 10% haste from frost dk/windfury, kings, might etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikelet View Post
    So if I'm going to use arcane what would my shot rotation look like steady x2 , arcane x 2 rinse repeat using chimera when off CD and Aimed when you get the free shot?
    Always have Serpent Sting up.
    Cast Aimed shot (Proc)
    Cast Chimera shot
    Cast Kill shot

That's the very basic priority list. In between that you will cast steady shots in groups of 2 as much as possible.
    Remember, it only counts as 2 in a row then its reset. To explain:- if you cast 3 steady shots, the first 2 will be 1st then 2nd cast (improved steady shot proc), the 3rd will be the start of a new chain - the 2nd and 3rd will not count as a 2 in a row. So try to avoid casting 3 steady shots because it won't re-apply improved steady shot. Of course if you have nothing else to press then cast a steady shot, but just keep that in mind.

I try to stay high on focus (60-80). You will not lose damage if you do not use arcane shot immediately, only if you hit 100 focus will you start to lose damage. So stay high on focus in case you need to move and you want something to press.

As with any hunter spec, never stop casting anything. If you want to stay high on focus, thats fine, but instead cast steadys all the time until you use them. If you aren't casting, you are losing damage.

EDIT: another thing. The cooldown for chimera will only allow 1 chimera shot cooldown to reapply. If you shoot another target with chimera (add switching for example) the serpent still WILL drop off before the next chimera is off cooldown. So keep that in mind and repply serpent sting before it drops off, not after.

Hey I've been playing marksmanship for a couple of weeks now and I can't seem to see why my DPS is so low compared to everyone else, with my gear I should be far above everyone else in the raid group. I know the shot priority and have got my talent design based around other posts I have seen on various forums. Has anyone got any advice for why my DPS might be so low?

World of Logs : worldoflogs.com/guilds/132203

Character Armory : Can't link the armory, it's Vikelet on Twisting Nether EU

(I realise the back in unenchanted, going to get it from my GM tomorrow)

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks.

P.S I'll be uploading a couple of video's of my playstyle either tomorrow or the day after.

You're doing this wrong 1/10. If srs http://stateofdps.com/, you're still doing it wrong

Deleted
    I've heard you should either completely dump using aimed or with arcane, I don't know if this is true or not but I've been hardcasting aimed shot a lot of the time and ignoring arcane. With the caustic slime debuff... that's just human error I guess. If I time it better it should fine.
    On a patchwerk type fight Haste stacking + aimed will win.
    On a movement type fight Mastery stacking + arcane will win.

I prefer the freedom arcane shot gives you compared to aimed, so I went that direction.

I dont understand why all of you are so fast to agree that arcane dump is the best, when all of the top10 phrases from wol, are hunters hardcasting aimed.

Deleted
    i know you said that you studied various blogs, so did i, ive been away from wow for a while but i've learned how to play MM through mainly "warcrafthutersunion.com". just read it and learn =] (go to the guides sections). Choose which ever playstly suggested seems most feesable =]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I dont understand why all of you are so fast to agree that arcane dump is the best, when all of the top10 phrases from wol, are hunters hardcasting aimed.
    Beacuse the top10 are almost always patchwerk fights, as I said above;

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    On a patchwerk type fight Haste stacking + aimed will win.
    On a movement type fight Mastery stacking + arcane will win.

I prefer the freedom arcane shot gives you compared to aimed, so I went that direction.
    On top of that you are forgetting that we are not all heroic geared. The top 10 are almost always fully heroic geared hunters. Hard casting aimed scales more with Crit and haste. So the better gear you got the better you will do with hard casting aimed.

I can hardcast aimed shot on a movement fight, its not a problem and your arguement is invalid, teach people how to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Beacuse the top10 are almost always patchwerk fights, as I said above;

On top of that you are forgetting that we are not all heroic geared. The top 10 are almost always fully heroic geared hunters. Hard casting aimed scales more with Crit and haste. So the better gear you got the better you will do with hard casting aimed.
    I hardcast on Atramedes quite a bit, just takes a lot of looking ahead and preparation to the upcoming abilities.

I can hardcast aimed shot on a movement fight, its not a problem and your arguement is invalid, teach people how to play.
    Feel free to link your logs rather than continuing the empty talk.

As for the OP, a few things you need to remember. As someone already said, you must never be focus capped. That's the greatest mistake you can do when playing MM. The other one is dead time. You must always do something, there is no excuse for idle time while playing as hunter. Tips:
    - If you will be focus capped if you use instant aimed as your next shot, use arcane instead then instant aimed. You can always delay using instant aimed as long as you don't use steady.
    - Use CS -> instant aimed instead of instant aimed -> CS if both are up. The sooner you put CS on cooldown, the sooner it comes off of cooldown. This kind of situation won't happen too often, but a second shaved off here and there could amount to another CS in the long run.
    - And as others have already said, use arcane as focus dump. It's much easier and forgiving in any movement fight as opposed to using aimed as focus dump.
    Last edited by Fichek; 2011-06-14 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fichek View Post
    Feel free to link your logs rather than continuing the empty talk.
    This is from a couple weeks ago and not fantastic but not terrible either. Full hard casting on Atra isn't too bad.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...=11042&e=11418

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjamoo View Post
    This is from a couple weeks ago and not fantastic but not terrible either. Full hard casting on Atra isn't too bad.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...=11042&e=11418
    Honestly that is pretty low considering your gear.. I can pull that normally in 362 SV Our MM hunter pulls 21-22k with ilvl 360. Hardcast aimed on atra definitely isnt too great imo.

The dps difference is almost nothing in 99% of the cases.. and interrupting 1-2 hardcasts ruins the dps gain for the entire fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Razirm View Post
    I don't think you should use Aimed unless it's procced when the boss is under 80%.
    Aimed Shot stops your Wild Quiver shots when it's casting which is actually a bit of a dps loss. Dump with Arcane.
    Stick with Aimed when the boss is above 80%.
    Its a dps gain as long as you don't have to cancel the cast. The benefit of Arcane Shot as a focus dump is that its significantly less forgiving. Don't spread misinformation.

No, no theyre really not. Even the rank 1 chim hunter had 35 arcane shots. Far from hardcasting.
    Rank 1 Omnotron: 29.
    Rank 1 Atramedes 38.
    Rank 1 Maloriak: 51.
    Rank 1 V+T: 57.
    Rank 1 AC: 40.
    Rank 1 Cho'gall: 8. (This is the first rank 1 set by a Aimed shot hunter I've found).
    Rank 1 Al'Akir: 56.

Disregarded magmaw (aoeing parasites isn't hardcasting aimed shot), Conclave (apparantly some people have hunters kite the anshal adds), Halfus, Nefarian (RNG with the dominion hardly seems like it'd give a decent picture, arcane focused or aimed focused), and Sinestra (hastebuff obviously makes Aimed Hardcasting the choise).

As you can see anyhow, the only one of the top ranks on fights that aren't completly skewed by some hunters aoeing their way to top parses or random damage buffs that is set by an Aimed shot hunter, is Cho'gall.
    This is, of course, 25 man heroic.
    And Lucy, considering your most significant MM rank is well below 100 on Al'akir, where you were still in fact behind all the other hunters in your group untill one of them died, with 88K damage done to adds, I honestly doubt you can say "Aimed shot is working out fine". Youre clearly ranking subpar with it compared to your gears potential.

But hey, just give me a msg, I'll teach you how to play if you really want to feel so superior. At the moment, youre clearly not.