Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    To be fair, that's with Intel Burn Test. It's great at testing it's heat output but it seems more like P95 is better at picking up instability. I'm sure Deltrus has tried to make it go further, but if he's done most of the testing in IBT then he should give P95 a spin.
    Nah I actually have not attempted 4.6GHz or beyond yet. I felt 4.5GHz was a good spot, and it was difficult enough to get 4.5GHz stable, so I wasn't sure I wanted to go through the hassle of attempting to push it more.

If I can get a lot of dough, aka a decent job, I may just consider getting an i7-2700K when they are released. I really was unhappy to find that *of course* I got jibbed on my CPU. You know, they should make an i5 variant of the i7-2700K, like go through their i5-2500Ks and do the same cherry picking process and call them like i5-2590K or something. Or maybe i5-2500X.

The X is so much better, why they went for i7-2700K instead of just i7-2600X is beyond me. ;P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Added Cantii and Arisfarreach.

To be honest, I think we need to change up the requirements a little. Eight minutes of prime95 doesn't mean shit for stability.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Nah I actually have not attempted 4.6GHz or beyond yet. I felt 4.5GHz was a good spot, and it was difficult enough to get 4.5GHz stable, so I wasn't sure I wanted to go through the hassle of attempting to push it more.
    It's quite possible you could hit 4.6ghz at the same voltage settings though. SB's are odd like that with the voltage 'walls'.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post

To be honest, I think we need to change up the requirements a little. Eight minutes of prime95 doesn't mean shit for stability.
    That was always my opinion. In my testing to stabilize my 4.4GHz and 4.5GHz overclocks way back when (a whole two months ago!) you could sit there with P95 stable for a good 18 minutes, be like, alright 2 minutes more and then I can do some other tests! You'd get all excited and BAM BSOD. SOB!! :P

---------- Post added 2011-10-27 at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    It's quite possible you could hit 4.6ghz at the same voltage settings though. SB's are odd like that with the voltage 'walls'.
    I'd be damned if that were the case, this chip is really a sucker for voltage.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not doing 50 runs of IBT or 12 hours of Prime95 (again) just to be on the charts, so if that's the case you can remove mine. No biggie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    I'm not doing 50 runs of IBT or 12 hours of Prime95 (again) just to be on the charts, so if that's the case you can remove mine. No biggie.
    5 runs of high or very high IBT would probably be enough imo. Maybe 1 hour of P95. I mean hell, you can always set P95 to go while you sleep, shut off monitor, any LEDs you can turn off and then in the morning, screenshot it and go! :P
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    That was always my opinion. In my testing to stabilize my 4.4GHz and 4.5GHz overclocks way back when (a whole two months ago!) you could sit there with P95 stable for a good 18 minutes, be like, alright 2 minutes more and then I can do some other tests! You'd get all excited and BAM BSOD. SOB!! :P
    I'm verified on OCN in a thread that required a 12 hour Prime95 Blend run. While tweaking, I had several BSoDs in the 8-9 hour range.

5 runs of high or very high IBT would probably be enough imo. Maybe 1 hour of P95. I mean hell, you can always set P95 to go while you sleep, shut off monitor, any LEDs you can turn off and then in the morning, screenshot it and go! :P
    IBT is useless on Sandy Bridge, even with the updated AVX Linpack, for anything other than seeing how hot you can get your CPU. At the very beginning stages of my overclock, I could run 15-20 max mem runs of IBT, but crash in Prime95 Blend after a few minutes.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-10-27 at 06:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seem to still have things to learn. ;o

Yeah and on earlier pages in the thread people were telling me that my order for 20 minutes at least of P95 was a tall order, more or less. Now we're asking for 12 hours! Let's get it onnnn!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seem to still have things to learn. ;o

Yeah and on earlier pages in the thread people were telling me that my order for 20 minutes at least of P95 was a tall order, more or less. Now we're asking for 12 hours! Let's get it onnnn!
    I know, right? Looking through these posts, a majority of the people ran 1-2 minutes of Prime. I thought my 8 would be okay. :-P

I also did not know that about IBT. I thought it was as good a test as any. I'd have no problem letting it go for 20 or so runs as it doesn't take very long, but I'm not running 12 hours of Prime right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not calling for 12 hours. That was just to point out that stability takes a long time to "confirm". I'm not really interested in revamping the whole thread. I guess I just phrased my distaste for short stability tests poorly. I also didn't mean to call you our or anything, Aris. Yours was just fresh in my head when I pulled the number out.

I'll freely state that I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to overclocking. I try to be as gentle as I can about it, usually, but my core philosophy is do it right or don't do it. Others may or may not share that ideal, however, I support anyone's decision to be on either side of the argument ("it works for what I need" vs "you can't crash my system").

Name: Jaynith
    Processor: Phenom II 955BE
    Clock: 3.72
    Voltage: 1.52
    Cooler: Corsair H80
    Screenshot LINK: http://imgur.com/L48c9
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2067726

Really wish I would've grabbed a Sandybridge instead. Waiting for the burn in on the H80, then I'm going for 4.2G.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not calling for 12 hours.
    I'll freely state that I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to overclocking. I try to be as gentle as I can about it, usually, but my core philosophy is do it right or don't do it. Others may or may not share that ideal, however, I support anyone's decision to be on either side of the argument ("it works for what I need" vs "you can't crash my system").
    Thats why we love you :P

However I've found that I can get to 4.8GHz on Auto settings which will last a whole weekend of running both folding@home CPU (SMP + BigAdv) and GPU clients, but won't last 10mins of Prime95. Hence not posting here.

(I also won't run 4.8 anymore now that I've seen how much voltage it required)

15+ Year Old Account
    Jaynith added.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post

However I've found that I can get to 4.8GHz on Auto settings which will last a whole weekend of running both folding@home CPU (SMP + BigAdv) and GPU clients, but won't last 10mins of Prime95. Hence not posting here.

1.45-1.46v it looks like? Yeah I don't blame you! Lol. I wonder if F@H should be considered a decent stability test of some sort, like take a SS of when you're starting a new WU and then towards the end of the WU... idk I am already seeing the issues with this. =S
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    1.45-1.46v it looks like? Yeah I don't blame you! Lol. I wonder if F@H should be considered a decent stability test of some sort, like take a SS of when you're starting a new WU and then towards the end of the WU... idk I am already seeing the issues with this. =S
    F@H is decent, but tends to not stress the IMC as much as a Prime95 Blend run (speaking strictly on Sandy Bridge).

Also, 1.45-1.46v isn't a bad vCore, assuming LLC is disabled. That would probably droop to about 1.37-1.38v or so under full load.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post

I 2nd this. I got 4.8 running at the same voltage as yours, posted somewhere in this thread, but after thinking about, I tuned it down to 1.3v. Where I'm sure this system will be replaced in a few years, I don't want to burn it up before I have to replace it. I've noticed zero difference between running at 4.5GHz as it is now than when it runs at 4.8GHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Optochip View Post
    Name: Optochip
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 2.66GHz
    Clock: 200x18 = 3600 MHz
    Voltage: 1.312 (I'll admit I haven't really tweaked this too much, it's running in Offset mode [hence the 1.32 in the SS] so I could probobly drop it even lower)
    Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 ( I sadly bought this before really doing my homework on CPU Coolers back when I built this PC, otherwise I would have put in a Hyper 212+ >.< )
    Screenshot LINK: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lidationSS.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1477826
    Just wanted to quote my previous post so it can get added to the Boards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still maintain that you don't need to achieve a 100% 12-hour stable overclock if you're not constantly converting/processing videos (or doing any task that forces all cores to 100% for long periods).

IBT and P95 are my tools to get an idea of temperatures, I usually stop them in less than 30 seconds - if I BSOD right off the bat then yeah I'll bump up vcore a bit. Otherwise I only care about my normal games and applications, most of which don't even know what to do with i5 2500K's beastly processing.

So I often cut vcore down to 1.28v or less for 4.5ghz (currently running 4.6@1.30) - it's most likely unstable as far as P95 is concerned, but I really don't care for torture-testing tools
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-27 at 08:01 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Added Octochip. Sorry for missing you. I wasn't sure where it was left off prior to today.

And Xuvial, that just makes you one of the people that get under my skin, lol. I understand and respect that "it works for what I need" approach, but it just bothers me for some reason. I guess I have a little "computer OCD".

Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    Am I the only one with a 1055t? >.>

Processor: Phenom II 1055t
    Clock: 4.13ghz
    Voltage: 1.49v according to CPU-Z (1.53 in bios)
    Cooler: Spire Thermax Eclipse II
    Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/oXx3U.png
    CPU-Z: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1384482
    Same reason as Octo.
    New and shiny compppppp!