Monitor Not Centered

Hey there, having some troubles with my monitor.
    On attempts to center it, it will not move the image further to the left while vertical component is fine.
    Monitor is an ASUS ML239H. Hooked up via VGA.
    Problems occur on multiple systems.
    Should I attempt to return it or is this fixable?
    Thanks, Xethik

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be fixable.. It doesn't sound like a monitor defect but I really don't know.
    For now you get a free bump!
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Its VGA - so it has to try an interpret the signal the best it can. It can often require a bit of manual calibration however, enter the monitor settings for that.

You should connect the monitor over a HDMI connection however. Use a DVI->HDMI converter or cable if you need to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethik View Post
    Hey there, having some troubles with my monitor.
    On attempts to center it, it will not move the image further to the left while vertical component is fine.
    Monitor is an ASUS ML239H. Hooked up via VGA.
    Problems occur on multiple systems.
    Should I attempt to return it or is this fixable?
    Thanks, Xethik
    Please give further details about how EXACTLY this is setup with your system.
    Is it part of a multi screen setup?
    Does the Horizontal alignment issue only occur during specific events?
    Why are you using a VGA connection?

10+ Year Old Account
    Err, open the control panel of your monitor and mess with the alignment...
    Horizontal is left and right, not vertical.

Could you maybe describe your problem a little more? You've spoken in 5 fragmented sentences. While it's informational, from what I've got, there's a 1/2 inch black bar on the left side of your screen, and 1/2 an inch on the right side is getting cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Please give further details about how EXACTLY this is setup with your system.
    Is it part of a multi screen setup?
    Does the Horizontal alignment issue only occur during specific events?
    Why are you using a VGA connection?
    O.o Beat me to it.

Hey guys, sorry. I guess I should have been more specific.

I have already tried adjusting the monitor through the monitor control panel with success. Adjusting it as far over to the left still leaves a decently sized gap.
    You are correct with the 1/2" blank band on the left with a 1/2" right-side cut off at all times. I apologize for speaking so... Brokenly? Emotionless? Anywho, I was attempting to do too many things at once and I guess I kind of lost that, I apologize.

I have tried this monitor in both a single and dual-monitor setups with VGA and the issue persists in both cases.

The only reason I am using VGA is because the monitor was labelled having DVI and HDMI cable support, and I figured (foolishly) that meant I could go from HDMI on my laptop to DVI on the monitor. That's not the case. My laptop does not have a DVI port, nor does the other old desktop I was testing with, for whatever reason.

I hope that covers all of the bases. I plan on building a desktop tomorrow afternoon that will have a DVI port and I was trying to see if anyone has had a similar issue with this monitor that was either eliminated when switching to HDMI or persisted, so I could get a better idea on if I should try to get this sent in ASAP or not.

Again, I apologize for typing brokenly again, just trying to answer every reply. Thank you all very much for helping out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I'd just return it and get a new one.

Seems like I might as well, but I'm going to call up some of my friends and see if any of them have a laptop or don't mind dragging their desktop to my house real quick to test it with HDMI.
    Thanks for the help.

You can get an HDMI to DVI Adapter. The video signal is pretty much the same between the two.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethik View Post
    My laptop does not have a DVI port,
    Laptops generally don't. HDMI & Displayport are much smaller and can still service the same regular range monitors.

However unless your monitor model is wrong - your monitor has a HDMI input, not DVI.

In other words for your laptop, you'd want a plain standard HDMI cable which you'd use for a TV.

Oh yeah, I know, sorry. The nearest computer/technology store is 45 mins or so away, and I just have a lot of things to try to get done tonight and I didn't want to run out and I wouldn't need it past tomorrow. I didn't want people to go do research on this monitor for me, I was just curious if anyone has had a similar experience. My Google-spam searches didn't come back with too much.

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Laptops generally don't. HDMI & Displayport are much smaller and can still service the same regular range monitors.

However unless your monitor model is wrong - your monitor has a HDMI input, not DVI.

In other words for your laptop, you'd want a plain standard HDMI cable which you'd use for a TV.
    Yes, exactly. I misread the specs and I thought the monitor had a DVI port on it, which I just apparently made up. I'm only planning on using this with a desktop I'm going to be getting tomorrow, so I'm not too worried about getting an HDMI->HDMI cable that you would buy for say a PS3 or certain cable boxes.

Deleted
    May be slightly obvious, but is there an "auto config" button on it? That worked for me. If not, replace it

The Auto-config makes it worse than manually adjusting it, sadly. Thank you for that though. I probably will do so, seeing how UPS 3 Day Shipping seems to think taking 5 days is on time and my computer parts will probably be a bit late.